Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Floor Jack Slipped... Big Bump in Floor Now

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9g
i hope it helps badevo.
Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by anjapower
Well...the jack had pierced clean thru the floor board by popping the plug, and was poking inside my car, lifting the carpet up. I took the car to a bodyshop and the guy who repaired it commented that it was possibly the best place to have pierced the hole as he was able to hammer out the raised area and weld the plug back in.
That sucks. My first thought was to expect the same thing in the evo. Glad I was wrong about that.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by stevEVO8
Use the jacking points in front and rear and not on the side of the car. I use Rhino ramps for the front most of the time and then jack the rear up and use the stands.
Yeah, Ive done that before too. Given the amount of stuff in the garage and the situation, I chose to use the sides. I had success with them about 10 times before. I guess you live and learn. Damn block of wood.

Thanks for all the replies Ill post back about how the floor-beating session goes.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

MY apologize, read it to fast. I just got off a 13 hour shift, my bad.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

i used the place on the side to jack the car up but they are started to get really chewed up, so i started using ramps
Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saw22
Yeah, Ive done that before too. Given the amount of stuff in the garage and the situation, I chose to use the sides. I had success with them about 10 times before. I guess you live and learn. Damn block of wood.

Thanks for all the replies Ill post back about how the floor-beating session goes.

BTW while the car is on the stands, I still have the floor jack under the car on the jackpoint; just for insurance.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
I've one upped you. I had just started getting into doing/installing mods on my car (my previous car, not the Evo), and didn't really know how to use a jack. My friend who was also in the same boat, thought the round thing on the floorboard (floor plug) next to the pinch was the spot to jack the car up.

It seemed to make sense since the plug and the cup on the jack were exactly the same size. Well, we started jacking up the car and it went up a couple inches but then it it wouldn't go up too much higher. A couple more pumps on the jack handle and we see the car drop to the ground. We were all like this: ...WTF happened!!!

Well...the jack had pierced clean thru the floor board by popping the plug, and was poking inside my car, lifting the carpet up. I took the car to a bodyshop and the guy who repaired it commented that it was possibly the best place to have pierced the hole as he was able to hammer out the raised area and weld the plug back in.

Since then I've been about 100x more cautious about the way I use the jack, but I've still had two or three incidents.
No pun intended that was the funniest thing I heard in days.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:11 AM

happened to me at discount tire. they put one of the jacks on the wrong place. if you notice next to the rail where you're supposed to jack it up is a round piece of rubber. well when they lifted the car up the first time was with the lift but they had to go back and adjust the driver side front wheel and the tech used a floor jack instead and up can a big hump right under the clutch. They got one of their 250 lbs. tech to kinda stomp on it and he flattened it out pretty well. you can also try a rubber or urethane mallet and bang it back down.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

I did that once too on a Honda Prelude used to own. I was jacking up the rear of the car at the rear subframe using a low-profile jack. Well the jack apparently was not rolling properly as the car raised up. And just as I got the two rear tires off the ground... BOOM!

I panicked at first, thinking that the jack had just crushed my fuel tank. But then I realized that it had just crushed my trunk spare tire well. I opened up the trunk to discover that my spare tire well was now a big hump in the middle of the trunk. So I cursed at my stupidlity for a few minutes, took a break, and had a beer to calm down.

To fix it, I basically just pounded the trunk floor back into shape again using mostly my feet and body weight. Rubber mallet or a regular hammer with a block of wood in between the hammer and the surface should work good too.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

I have yet to jack up my evo....but doesnt the evo have a front cross member beam that you can jack the car up with? Then you can put jack stands on the sides then remove the jack? Thats how I have done other cars.... I use ramps most of the time anyway
Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Soap/small block of wood, a towel, and a rubber mallet/hammer as stated above should do the trick!
Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

The same thing happened to me. I just used a long block of wood and a slege hammer to flatten out the big hump in my floor.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Go on the J.C.Whitney.Com website and order the square jack blocks.They fit on the rails at the factory jack points and wont slip.They are square hard plastic blocks with a cross pattern in them that aligns with the rails.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by travman
I have yet to jack up my evo....but doesnt the evo have a front cross member beam that you can jack the car up with? Then you can put jack stands on the sides then remove the jack? Thats how I have done other cars.... I use ramps most of the time anyway

There is a front jacking point, but it so far back that you need to jack the car up from the side first, just to get the jack back that far. At least thats how it works with my big **** 4 ton jack.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Like everyone says, be glad you are ok.
I dont even wanna imagine what would've happened if you were underneath the car when it happened.

Quick Reply: Floor Jack Slipped... Big Bump in Floor Now