Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ams or Buschur Raceing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aux.
Uh-oh someone didn't do their reseach. Bad news dude.... Buschurs got 2 (thats right 2) 900+wHP Evo's . So like the dudes before said flip a coin.
lol sorry i'm kind of out of it right noiw. i'm in the hospital right now so i cant even really think straight. thanks though.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't go wrong with either. Both are awesome in terms of knowledge, parts, and customer service. My preference is Buschur, but I don't hesitate to send people to AMS, too. In fact, I've recommended AMS instead of Buschur on several occasions based on location and/or parts availability. They both have 900+whp Evos. Right now, AMS has the quickest Evo, but I believe Buschur's car has already eclipsed 150mph as well.

You aren't building a 900whp Evo, though, so you need to focus on what your goals are. Since you want to get to 360whp (estimated crank HP is irrelevant), then you need to think about which parts will get you there with the most reliability and for the least money without cutting corners. For an VIII, 360 is kind of in no-mans land, because it's past the point where you can cost-effectively mod on pump gas. Yes, A RARE FEW can hit 360whp on pump gas without a ton of mods, but for the most part, you can only feasibly expect 330-340whp with basic bolt-ons and cams. Generally, to get 360 and above, you want alky unless you're willing to run race gas daily. If you're willing to do alky, then this is easy. If not, then if you're ok with 340-350whp, we can get you t here quickly and cheaply.

Here's my Buschur mod list to get you there with alky:
- Warrtalon/Buschur Stage 1
- HKS 272s
- Buschur LICP
- Alky@26psi
- Dynoflash custom road or dyno tune
Total cost of parts/tuning = ~$3100 and only the best parts (Buschur, Forge, Walbro, HKS, Dynoflash)

Actually, at this point you'd be more like 370whp with even more torque.

Without alky, shoot for ~340whp imo:
- Warrtalon/Buschur Stage 1
- HKS 272s
- LICP
- Buschur ported/coated stock manifold
- Buschur ported/coated 10.5 hotside
- Buschur coated SS tubular o2 housing
- Dynoflash custom road or dyno tune
Total cost of parts/tuning = ~$3200 and only the best parts (Buschur, Forge, Walbro, HKS, Dynoflash). You could get to 350whp on this, but I don't want to overshoot, because every car is different.

All estimates are based on 93oct.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

What is this alky I hear alot of ppl tlk about it But im Clue Less about it.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

It's a kit that injects atomized alcohol (or methanol or water or washer fluid) into your upper intercooler pipe just before the throttlebody. This atomization of alcohol does two things:

1) Lower the intake charge, which makes more power and allows for more aggressive timing, and
2) Increases the effective octane of your pump gas to that of race gas (not sure on the exact octane equivalence)

Alky allows you to run mega boost on a daily basis without needing race gas and while being able to aggressively tune. I run mine 24/7, but the key is the alky only sprays when you're boosting. Mine is the SMC progressive kit that doesn't start spraying until 18psi and doesn't go to max spray until 26psi, so I don't waste alky.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Damn!! and you make good power out of this? How much is a Alky Kit? And how much is it to Refill it?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MonsterEVOO
Damn!! and you make good power out of this? How much is a Alky Kit? And how much is it to Refill it?
Most alky kits can be had for less than $500. You should run a couple searches, there's tons of good info on this site.

The Meth/alky itself varies. You'll have to find it locally somehow, or have the 55 gallon drums shipped to you.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

$500 for the SMC kit, and Buschur has a special one made that replaces your IC sprayer tank, so it looks like it belongs there.

I use 100% denatured alcohol that costs $12.77/gal at Home Depot. My tank is 1 gallon, and I fill it up once every 2 weeks (every 2 tanks of gas, basically). It depends on how much you boost, so I can't give an exact time, but basically that's $13 every 2 weeks.

You can also use 100% methanol, which is only $3/gallon in bulk, but it's harder to find. You can't just walk into Home Depot and find it, so you pay less per gallon, but spend more time getting it.

Yes, it makes a lot of power and mainly big torque, since you're able to run really high boost. On stock cams with my Warrtalon package and alky, I put down 341whp/361wtq. I also had the Buschur ported/coated stuff that I listed earlier.

Please, before you continue asking questions on this, search first, because you're getting away with forum murder here...
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of it depends on where you live. If either Buschur or AMS is local or a short drive away from you, I would go with the one that's closer. As far as quality and performance, you'll be happy with either one.

-Paul
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

well ams is like 10 mins away Top. I was there Yesterday. There front Mount is too small for my Taste and there Race FMIC is $1600.. A lil to much and it will make me Lose Power.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
lol don't worry about it
haha , i was going to say didnt that just get posted but then i saw the 9.41 and i was like crap.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Monster, you won't need an FMIC from either shop anyway.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It's a kit that injects atomized alcohol (or methanol or water or washer fluid) into your upper intercooler pipe just before the throttlebody. This atomization of alcohol does two things:

1) Lower the intake charge, which makes more power and allows for more aggressive timing, and
2) Increases the effective octane of your pump gas to that of race gas (not sure on the exact octane equivalence)

Alky allows you to run mega boost on a daily basis without needing race gas and while being able to aggressively tune. I run mine 24/7, but the key is the alky only sprays when you're boosting. Mine is the SMC progressive kit that doesn't start spraying until 18psi and doesn't go to max spray until 26psi, so I don't waste alky.

Looks like I am going to have to get a kit!!!
Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Warrtalon.. Can you Plz do me a Fav.. And Name Me the Mods I would need to get the Power I want wich is 350awhp And 400 Crank.. Thanks Andy.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:07 PM
Account Disabled

By far, these are the only two shops i would ever go to,,,, ( disclaimer: i have never been to the east coast, but there are a few good shops out there too, but I'm a midwesterner by birth so..)
speaking from personal experience Buschur Racing will bend over backwards to make sure you are a happy customer.i have built several DSM's thru BR and they turned out great!

I have never purchased anything thru AMS, but i know people who have and they were happy with the end result....they have made a lot a quick cars and have been very helpfull to some buddies of mine.....

to the guy who said something about BR parts constantly changing:
It's called RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT.. BR is always striving to improve their product, and it shows,,, two 900hp evos,,, shep 7 second talon which has been on the same bottom end (BR built it) for an entire season of racing.... (bad ***!!)
Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MonsterEVOO
Warrtalon.. Can you Plz do me a Fav.. And Name Me the Mods I would need to get the Power I want wich is 350awhp And 400 Crank.. Thanks Andy.
Didn't I already do that? Wow, did you completely skip over my huge response earlier on this page? That was a lot of work, man, come on...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=17

Quick Reply: Ams or Buschur Raceing