Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got my Kumho V700s on the car for an autox tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my Kumho V700s on the car for an autox tomorrow!

I just had to post pics. I like the look in a competition-sort-of way, but I'll go back to my stockers after the event. Rims are stock Enkeis powdercoated black with Kumho V700 victoracers 255/40-17. Bought em from nlped - can't wait to rip em up Saturday in a practice SoloII event with the Central Florida club (www.cfrsolo2.com) in Palm Bay, FL. Anyone else in the area should come out for some good autocrossing - I've driven on and off with this club for 5 years.

Interesting thing - the Victoracers are TOTALLY QUIET! The tires that came with the car are some knock-off 4-season tire and apparently they are way loud!

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Edit: Title wrong - autocross is Saturday the 8th. http://www.cfrsolo2.com/Flyers2006/f...cc_04_2006.pdf (warning - PDF link)
Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

You take those tires offroading or something?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
You take those tires offroading or something?
Umm - huh? If you mean why are they dirty, they're competition tires - they're supposed to be dirty. :P
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
they're acutally very sticky tires, and you'll notice that they're already shaved from the factory, or at least are made with very little tread depth.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're only shaved if you request them to be shaved. Those don't look shaved.

I used V700s last year, but not the VictoRacers. 255s should be nice, and you will do much better than on street tires, but hopefully yours don't chunk like mine did from not being shaved.

I got V710s for this year, and the difference was night and day over the V700s. I recommend trying those next time you step up, because the price isn't much different, but the grip is no comparison.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Schuyler
Umm - huh? If you mean why are they dirty, they're competition tires - they're supposed to be dirty. :P
I was also looking at the mud on the bottom of the side skirt in the first photo.

And i know about comp tires being dirty as hell. When i get back from a weekend at the track my clothes reek of brakes, fuel, and dirt. Fun fun fun!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

I don't actually understand the competition race tire vs being dirty correlation. My race tires have never looked like that even after 2 days of road racing. Were you rallying?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

I have a feeling they took an abrupt terrain change from the smooth track to a gravel pit....

I've never had track tires get like that. But i've also stayed on the tarmac with the shiny side up.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
They're only shaved if you request them to be shaved. Those don't look shaved.

I used V700s last year, but not the VictoRacers. 255s should be nice, and you will do much better than on street tires, but hopefully yours don't chunk like mine did from not being shaved.

I got V710s for this year, and the difference was night and day over the V700s. I recommend trying those next time you step up, because the price isn't much different, but the grip is no comparison.
i ddin't mean shaved but manufactured with little tread depth which i said later in the same sentence. it's easy to tell performance tires cuz when they're new you're like... where did all the tread go???
Old Apr 7, 2006, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

The guy I bought em from must have had them sitting there for a while - they all had a lot of dirt - looks like they were stored in an outside shed or something.

Thanks for the suggestion Wharrtalon - this is my first forray into competition tires, so I was thrilled just to get a set of rims/tires. Hoping to have fun with em.

Last edited by Schuyler; Apr 7, 2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Oh - one other thing re: the first pic - it was picasa-altered. I'm thinking that's what brought out the real dirty look since the others look like black tires
Old Apr 7, 2006, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Well, triny, they have plenty of tread unless you get them shaved. It is recommended to shave them, because they don't start really working until you've gotten past the regular tread.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

I think I recall you saying you run SM, Warrtalon? What club do you run with over there? I have a friend who autoxed his TSX in CO.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

It's SCCA - Rocky Mountain region.