Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX MR,... is it worth the extra cash???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX MR,... is it worth the extra cash???

hey peeps,. new here,.. I did a search but I got tired of reading and reading to find nothing.

I will be getting an evo IX soon and I just don't know if to get the MR or the GSR?

I'm a cornering freak (and so is my friend with an 05' SRT-4 ACR)

Just wondering if the MR a better choice for me

How much better is the handling on the MR compared to the normal Evo IX????
and how much better is the 6-speed to the 5-speed???
I will also be dragging here and there but not to the point of building the engine up to make it a dyno queen. (maybe 4 years down the road)

so, is the MR worth the extra cash???

thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:26 PM
Account Disabled

If you do major modding the MR isnt IMO worth the extra cash, but some people may have different opinons. I say if you have the money go for it, but its not neccesary.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please no, not another one of these threads:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=191521
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=180482
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=177481

That'll get you started, there's plenty more.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

are you kidding me? this is the 458348754th thread about this, enough is enough
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:40 PM

make it a sticky then jeez,....

thanks to all that replied.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
are you kidding me? this is the 458348754th thread about this, enough is enough
and thats just this year double it for last year
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK a couple things here....
1. the EVO MR does worth every pennies.

2. the MR has an 6-speed gear box so it not a prefer tranny to run on the 1/4 milebeacuse you have to shift one more gear before crossing the 1/4.... but who care even the Supra TT has the 6 gear. Hiway driving and auto X is perfect for the 6-speed tranny though.

3. Besides those other features such as HID, aerodynamic package front and rear, Bilstein suspension.... The MR is very nice...It might be too nice you have to leave it stock.

Buy the RS if you want to keep on modify for the 1/4 mile cus its the lightest and cheapest of the 3.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

For what it's worth, I'd spend the extra cash on the SSL package that comes with the GSR. It adds value and refinement to an already expensive vehicle. Others will disagree, of course. It depends on what you're going to use your car for.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Man newbies need to search big time. This thread question is like asked every freaking week. The madness has to stop.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

seriously these threads are coming out like five per day...same thread title too!!!

if u're going to stay stock, get the MR. want to mod and retain decent daily drivability, get the GSR. wanna go all out and don't care much for ABS, get the RS.

the only difference btwn the _IX_ 6 spd and 5 spd is that after 110 mph, the 6 spd has two more gears to go, while the 5th gear only has the 5th gear for 110 + mph. the first four gears are pretty much identical, so on a road course that doesn't require speed of 110+ the gearing for the GSr and the MR are pretty much the same. stock for stock the bilstein is better, though some mag comparison test said it's a bit softer so it's not as sharp as the GSR, though it still achieves same or better results.

the MR is slightly heavier because of the 6spd gear box.

if u just get a GSR and save the 4k, you can get (e.g.) Warrtalon package for bpu, and a nice set of coilovers, and run circles around the MR while still have leftover cash for somethin else. but if u have the cash, you can just get the MR and do the same thing to it.

for me the extra gear in the MR is not necessary, plus i need a black car, thus the MR's out of the picture.

read the threads that come up from your research. saying things like 'I'm too lazy to read" will just get u flamed. everything everybody's going to say is already covered. i've typed what i just typed in at least 6 other threads on this topic.

hope i helped you with my inputs though. let us know which one u go with at the end

edit: just noticed u drive a 91 mr2t as well what mods do you have on her? i love mine, but have to sell it at the moment for the Evo

Last edited by fusionchicken; Apr 6, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:22 PM

yep,. I love the MR2,.. i have apex intake, up the boost to 15psi, and gutted the cat,... i ran a 13.9.
too bad i have to sell it as well,.. and i will trade in the mustang for an evo 9.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool, some ex-mr2 owners here. I had a 91 mr2 turbo that I sold to get my ww 05 evo. Had greddy body kit, td06, blitz exhaust, 94 tails, ce28s, CF hood, basically the works. I don't miss my deuce at all though, it was a POS that broke down all the time. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get a 88 SC to drive as a daily but have to finish paying off some debuts before I can actually look for one.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Btw, just wanted to clear up one thing about the gearing.

You do NOT have to shift to 5th on the MR until you start trapping around 115mph. Also, there is only a 1mph difference in 4th gear vs the IX 5spd, so that is no longer an issue when deciding between the two. This was only an issue when comparing the MR vs the VIII 5spd.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Btw, just wanted to clear up one thing about the gearing.

You do NOT have to shift to 5th on the MR until you start trapping around 115mph. Also, there is only a 1mph difference in 4th gear vs the IX 5spd, so that is no longer an issue when deciding between the two. This was only an issue when comparing the MR vs the VIII 5spd.
Good even better than I thought
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

I was gonna say...youd be like us STi folk.

We have to shift to fith before 1/4, we also have to shift to 3rd before 60, damn!

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR,... is it worth the extra cash???