Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Grind when going into reverse

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grind when going into reverse

When i'm putting my car in reverse i have a real loud grind, if i put it into 2nd then reverse i don't get the grind, is this something somebody else has come across? And should warranty cover this even with mods?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're clutch isn't in all the way this will happen. or if the wheels are moving at all this will happen. this is completely normal.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

nope clutch is completely in and its from a complete stop.
Originally Posted by Greg K
if you're clutch isn't in all the way this will happen. or if the wheels are moving at all this will happen. this is completely normal.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

put it into 5th first, if Im not mistaken they run on the same syncro and this will slow the gear down so it doesnt grind
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

bump, is this something that i should worry about?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you hear grinding then that means either your clutch is engaged or your car is moving when putting the car in gear. There is no other explanation for it. You might not be waiting long enough after coming to a stop before putting the car into reverse.
Originally Posted by feldguy
put it into 5th first, if Im not mistaken they run on the same syncro and this will slow the gear down so it doesnt grind
Usually reverse is just an idler gear between the input and output shaft gears for 1st gear (spur gears). So it would be better to put it into first, and then reverse.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

my car is in the shop right now for this exact reason. I also noticed that if you put the car into first, or a forward gear, then put it back into neutral, release the clutch, then push in the clutch and shift into reverse it doesn't grind.

I rode around with a tech who confirmed the problem. Actually we started by parking the car and grinding it into reverse.

As it was explained to me, 5th and reverse share a syncro that was going bad. All covered under warranty. I have no mods on my IX gsr.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

my friend has the exact same problem. the dealer actually told him to shift to 2nd then to reverse, and you wont get that grind, lol. his car is completely stock.
he started to laugh at his face, and asked the dealer to show him where it said that in the manual. he is still gonna fight it.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greg K
+1, that would be my best guess.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Same thing with my car. I just put it in 4th then reverse. Sometimes it doesnt grind at all going straight to reverse.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
my friend has the exact same problem. the dealer actually told him to shift to 2nd then to reverse, and you wont get that grind, lol. his car is completely stock.
he started to laugh at his face, and asked the dealer to show him where it said that in the manual. he is still gonna fight it.
Actually, I've had 3 dealers tell me it's 'normal', and every one has refused to cover it, even though there is a TSB out on it. (On write-ups, they state they cannot duplicate the problem, even though everyone in the building(s) could hear techs grinding gears every time they checked it out...)

My local dealers don't seem to care about this problem - When they state that they have no knowledge about a TSB covering this problem, I've produced copies for 'em... when they've tried to BS about it being 'normal' to have to shift into 2nd gear before any other, I've pulled out both the owner's manual and my own copies of the paper OEM service manuals, and (kindly) asked 'em to "...show me exactly where that is written?"

Mine is an intermittant problem which suddenly started at ~25k: had pedal adjusted, fluids changed, etc., but no effect. Strangely, the problem never got any worse, and actually completely went away for the last month before the clutch started dying...

I'll see what condition the tranny internals are in when the new clutch goes in - real soon. I'm 100% stock, and 'granny' my Evo. (Well, at least so far - got a s**tload of parts ready to go!)

Other Evo Gurus tell me that by shifting into 2nd (when stopped), you're basically just lining up the syncros, which makes shifting into 1st/reverse much easier.

Good Luck!

Last edited by EvoGLH; Apr 7, 2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a TSB on this very thing - reverse idler gear (separate from the 5th gear synchro TSB).
Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

always put your car into 1st gear before reverse...
Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ashton13
always put your car into 1st gear before reverse...
That takes me back to the honda/acura days.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
There's a TSB on this very thing - reverse idler gear (separate from the 5th gear synchro TSB).

Leave it to the 'Talon to get the job done!

Get this bro, I was told by 4 different Mitsu techs that the tranny runs off of the same syncro for the 5th, and that reverse will grind while moving forward no matter what unless stopped.

This is the worst part of our cars, the unparallelled expense of transfer case, trannies, engine blocks and all types of crap thrown on the pile.

However, I just met a Subie buddy yesterday in the local area and sure as $hit he said his 6 speed in the STi isn't that great either.

For the original poster, I will tell you to just be nice to the 5th gear and reverse positions and LEAVE THE TRANNY ALONE. 99% of the time the tranny comes back totally f*cked and not normal.

Spend the money all at once and send both units to Shep or John RIPPLE (sorry John, LOL) and have them build it all and use an appropriate clutch and it will be the best mod.

I always relate to my personal experiences, right now I have the tranny out with the t-case seperates, the motor is coming out tommorow after the cold.

I have few mods, but Im building the stroker, tranny and t-case FIRST, as to not have issues in the future.

For you, just leave it alone unless you have delusions of grandure (sp).

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Grind when going into reverse