Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shipping my car!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2006, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shipping my car!

I just got a new IXmr and will be shipping it to virginia in the next week or so. (from CA). The shipping company is charging 1000 bucks for a typical car carrier. Im tempted to pay the higher rate of 1800 bucks for a fully enclosed truck transport but am divided on if its a waste of money or not. I keep hearing these reports about golfball sized hail across the midwest, and just get visions in my head of my brand new car being pelted.

I know there have been some past threads about this, but I wanted to get some individualized opinions. Is it worth it to ship enclosed??? What should I do, I cant imagine my baby on a transport w 2 weeks in the sun and weather...ahhhh Anyone with experienc on this is welcomed to chime in!!

thanx in advance

:::::EDIT::::::

I guess I should add that I live in California and im moving to Virginia. Im actually driving a lexus GX 470 across the country, so i have to ship the Evo, (no other options).

I cant use a car cover because the shipper doesnt want to have to put it on and take it off, and they worry about it blowing off on the road.

My decision is really only to ship enclosed or open, and is it worth it or not. Im one of those guys that carries cleaning supplies around in their car so they can make sure its clean where ever I go.

Additionally, I wont be able to be there to inspect it. My cousin has to, so Im worried that if i do ship it unenclosed that there may be minor damage that my cousin (who has never seen an evo in his life) would never see and If a problem isnt reported immediately than the movers are not liable. Ahhh Im afraid!

Last edited by paradoxx; Apr 7, 2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Go with the enclosed! Murphy's law, if you get the enclosed you will not need it. if you go with the typical carrier you will need the enclosed. If I were you I would go with the enclosed!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I shopped mine from VA to CO with no issues, but it was sure dirty as hell.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

I thought about shipping from Southcoast to CT. I wouldve just got a car cover and did open shipping.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Make sure the car is insured when it's on the truck with the lowest comprehensive deductible your insurance company will allow; then any damage will be covered by your comprehensive policy. The shipper's liability is usually limited unless you pay for extra insurance through them (which is a rip-off).

Never pick a car up at night. Pick it up or have it delivered in broad daylight. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and note everything that may be amiss (including the mileage.)

If you have to file a comprehensive claim, then you insurance rate may go up, but I don't know if it will go up to the tune of the $800 difference between open and closed carrier.

My '06 IX is coming from CA to FL, and I'm hoping all will go well. The last two cars I've shipped/had shipped all fared very well, so I'm hoping my luck wil continue.

Good Luck!

Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Just use the money, fly there one-way and drive it back! It saves a TON of money! It's a loong *** drive, but it is a BLAST in the Evo. I bought mine used from a dealer in PA and drove it down to FL over a 3-day weekend and I loved it so much I want to do a solo road trip to CO or something next year in the fall.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PA to FL is one thing, but SoCal to VA is quite another...that's a lot of miles wasted on your car. The $1000 is worth not having to drive all those miles, pay for all that gas and hotels for sure.

Btw, every auto transporter I spoke to automatically included $50k insurance in the price, so it wasn't necessary to make extra arrangements.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Schuyler
Just use the money, fly there one-way and drive it back! It saves a TON of money! It's a loong *** drive, but it is a BLAST in the Evo. I bought mine used from a dealer in PA and drove it down to FL over a 3-day weekend and I loved it so much I want to do a solo road trip to CO or something next year in the fall.
Already thought of that one but the cost of fuel and hotel like Warr said and a possible ticket will surely cost more than 1000 bucks. And he wont have to take off a week from work. I hate waisting vacation time.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jewish Santa
Go with the enclosed! Murphy's law, if you get the enclosed you will not need it. if you go with the typical carrier you will need the enclosed. If I were you I would go with the enclosed!
+1

Or car cover would help. Or insurance..
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:13 AM

FWIW, I choose unenclosed when I bought my Toyota Highlander from Fl. I live in WA. It came back really dirty, but no problems at all... But this was last summer and my car is used.

I'd def get fully enclosed for a brand new car!!!
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
Already thought of that one but the cost of fuel and hotel like Warr said and a possible ticket will surely cost more than 1000 bucks. And he wont have to take off a week from work. I hate waisting vacation time.
No way man - it won't be that expensive. I made it 900 miles in a day and 3 hours. Hotel was $75, gas was about $125, and the plane ticket was $125. From CA to VA is 3000 miles max - easily a 2.5 day drive. Take Thurs-Friday off, take your time, see some sights and have fun with the drive. Gas should be no more then $500, two night stay is $150 or so, flight one-way is $125-150 if done early enough (I flew one of the discount airlines - I forget which one).

Total cost is < $1000, you get the car in 3 days instead of 3 weeks, and you make sure it's taken care of.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

not to many people are down to put 3k miles on their car the second they buy it.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Im trying to sell my 03 now and will probaby buy fro couth coast. Ill probably ship. unless i can magically get a few days off from work. Oh and ill buy a good radar detector before i go.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 03:12 PM

i'm shipping my car from hawaii to cali next month for about $900 then i'll drive it home to colorado. i've had the car since aug. 30th and only have 2500mi. it could use a few extra miles and it'll be nice to stretch its legs