Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What just happened?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What just happened?

I was playing around in the rain the other night and I came around a 90 degree corner pretty quickly while in gravel mode. The car remained in control but it violently whipped around the corner pretty quickly and I forgot to shift into 2nd. All of a sudden my car just felt like it ran out of breathe or lost power but in a very subtle way. Is this fuel cut or rev limiter? In my old dsm when I hit fuel cut it always felt like my car it a brick wall and when rev limiter would hit it would bounce off the higher rpm very quickly. Not to sure what this was but my rpm's were in the range of 7500-7800.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
I was playing around in the rain the other night and I came around a 90 degree corner pretty quickly while in gravel mode. The car remained in control but it violently whipped around the corner pretty quickly and I forgot to shift into 2nd. All of a sudden my car just felt like it ran out of breathe or lost power but in a very subtle way. Is this fuel cut or rev limiter? In my old dsm when I hit fuel cut it always felt like my car it a brick wall and when rev limiter would hit it would bounce off the higher rpm very quickly. Not to sure what this was but my rpm's were in the range of 7500-7800.
Car was telling you to stop being an idiot and doing 90 degree turns in the rain?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cloudy
Car was telling you to stop being an idiot and doing 90 degree turns in the rain?
yes!

My insurance bills are already high enough.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Well thanks for answering my question. Congratulations the two of you are wastes of perfect space. Now for someone knowledgable what's the real answer?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no idea based on your explanation.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Well it felt like it lost power. I'm guessing it was fuel cut but wouldn't the rev limiter kick in first? It was pulling hard then all of a sudden you can feel that it just gave up and stopped pulling.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YOu say you forgot to shift to 2nd and that it violently whipped around the corner, but then it gave out of breath or something. Are you saying you made the turn successfully at high speed and then were going straight again when the car suddenly ran out of breath without hitting the rev limiter?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:23 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

At that rpm it must have been your rev limiter. If you were accelerating it would explain the loss of power you felt. That violent whipping might be the car being thrown off balance.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah pretty much but i was going around the corner almost from a stop in first gear. As I came around the corner I gave it a lot of gas and the back end jerked a bit, I had to do a bit of counter steering and then I came out of the corner in control taking off in a straight line where I immediately should have shifted but didn't and my rpm's were up there but not way up there. They weren't close to 8k but all of a sudden the car just lost power but kept moving, it just didn't pull.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION

forgot to shift into second... Thats a new one.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:31 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

You broke the rear end loose. That violence you felt was the rear tires catching, that's all. The rev limit is 7600 (I think) and you hit it. No big deal.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like your clutch is giving up at those RPM range.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

it your rev limit stock? or have you had it raised?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

driving like that you better expect to get flamed. This have better be in an empty parking lot.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:43 PM

isnt the stock rev limit set to 7,000? thought i read that somewhere but for some reason i pulled mine up to7,600+ and its all stock. or is that rev limit on 03's and 04's? also isnt there suppose to be a speed governer at like 147 or something like that?