Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will prices still be jacked up by the end of August?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Will prices still be jacked up by the end of August?

Planning to sell my S2k or trade it in toward the end of aug to get a new 06 EVO IX MR at the begining of Sept. Will prices still be all jacked up or can I expect to deal a price at 1-4% below MSRP for an 06? I don't want to pay anything over MSRP. i live in seattle area.

Thanks!

Last edited by EVO Knight; Apr 8, 2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buy a 03 instead and save a $hitload =)
Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not 100% but Mike kmxxbadboy had a post up on evo-ny about them stopping the production of the evo for 16 months or so coming up. If that is true I would assume the prices to hold constant or rise for that matter. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but that would be my best guess. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:31 PM

but the new EVO IX.5 will be out later this year, and I hear delaers will be getting more IX;s in a few months

there just can't be no new cars for 1.5-2 years if EVO X will be out at the earliest fall of 07?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is absolutely no reason for the price of the car to increase, and it will not increase. 99% of the time, a car is NOT an appreciating asset, and the only thing that will cause a car's value to increase over time is extreme rarity in very select cases, thats it. We're not talking discontinued for a year, and sky-rocketing values. If that was the case, there are numerous cars that preceed the Evo that would have done this first. When have you seen the value of a car be MORE than what it cost to buy it off the dealer's floor? And is the Evo anywhere close to that?
People are running around
1. worrying that they won't be able to find an Evo because Mitsu is ending production of the 9's
2. thinking that the Evo in their driveway will become a collector's item overnight when Mitsu rolls the last Evo off the assembly line for 16 months.
Take an economics class; better yet, take a look at the 2002 Firebird on your local used car dealer's lot. Final year of production for a classic american muscle-car, in the low $20's. Why? CARS DO NOT APPRECIATE IN VALUE.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Cars do appreciate in value. Look at Barret Jackson. The evo will mostly not appreciate but the last statement is an error. if you believe that the statement about cars not appreciating in value then I challenge you to purchase a mint matching number 67 Shelby Mustang Cobra for the price when it came out on market, and I will pay you twice, maybe even three times as much for it.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Guess you missed this...
99% of the time, a car is NOT an appreciating asset, and the only thing that will cause a car's value to increase over time is extreme rarity in very select cases, thats it.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

The EVO IX is going out of production in August 2006. So by the end of this year, if not earlier, there will be no more new EVOs available in the USA. The EVO X is currently slated for release here as a 2009 model in Feb. 2008 (Mitsu never meets their time lines, so it will probably be later in 2008). What the X will be exactly, in terms of price, weight, power, etc. is in question at this point. Mitsu is trying to go upmarket with the car to compete with the M3. If you want a new EVO, buy one in the next few months.

I got most of this info from the owner of Huntington Beach Mitsu, which sells more EVOs than any other dealer in the USA. What I didn't get from him is my humble opinion as the owner of 2 EVOs, an '04 RS that is heavily modified for the racetrack, and an '06 IX MR, which I bought today so I could have another EVO to drive on the street when Mitsu puts the car into hibernation for about 2 years.

Last edited by Richard EVO; Apr 8, 2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 02:26 AM

But the EVO SE 9.5 is for sale starting aug or sept? so production has to continue to support new models....
Old Apr 9, 2006, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
supra

Originally Posted by Noob4life
There is absolutely no reason for the price of the car to increase, and it will not increase. 99% of the time, a car is NOT an appreciating asset, and the only thing that will cause a car's value to increase over time is extreme rarity in very select cases, thats it. We're not talking discontinued for a year, and sky-rocketing values. If that was the case, there are numerous cars that preceed the Evo that would have done this first. When have you seen the value of a car be MORE than what it cost to buy it off the dealer's floor? And is the Evo anywhere close to that?
People are running around
1. worrying that they won't be able to find an Evo because Mitsu is ending production of the 9's
2. thinking that the Evo in their driveway will become a collector's item overnight when Mitsu rolls the last Evo off the assembly line for 16 months.
Take an economics class; better yet, take a look at the 2002 Firebird on your local used car dealer's lot. Final year of production for a classic american muscle-car, in the low $20's. Why? CARS DO NOT APPRECIATE IN VALUE.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
The EVO IX is going out of production in August 2006. So by the end of this year, if not earlier, there will be no more new EVOs available in the USA. The EVO X is currently slated for release here as a 2009 model in Feb. 2008 (Mitsu never meets their time lines, so it will probably be later in 2008). What the X will be exactly, in terms of price, weight, power, etc. is in question at this point. Mitsu is trying to go upmarket with the car to compete with the M3. If you want a new EVO, buy one in the next few months.

I got most of this info from the owner of Huntington Beach Mitsu, which sells more EVOs than any other dealer in the USA. What I didn't get from him is my humble opinion as the owner of 2 EVOs, an '04 RS that is heavily modified for the racetrack, and an '06 IX MR, which I bought today so I could have another EVO to drive on the street when Mitsu puts the car into hibernation for about 2 years.
I know it is , but why does your avatar say "I hate Evos", when you own two of them?
Old Apr 9, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
supra

Do you know how expensive Supras were when they were sold new?
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

How much Evos will worth in the future really does depend on the X and following evolutions. If they are a dud then current Evos will worth more, if not, then they will depreiciate normally.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
supra
We aren't talking about cars that hold their value well. Unless you can show me a Supra that costs more than it did when it was brand new on the dealer's lot, the Supra is not the best example. And lets try not to post up the dyno queens for sale where the owner is trying to recoup 100% of the cost of their mods.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noob4life
We aren't talking about cars that hold their value well. Unless you can show me a Supra that costs more than it did when it was brand new on the dealer's lot, the Supra is not the best example. And lets try not to post up the dyno queens for sale where the owner is trying to recoup 100% of the cost of their mods.
my dad's supra. he bought it brand new in '94 for 38 thousand. Just recently he was at the dealers looking at soem cars and was offered 45 for it.

*bpu