Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

CEL question, O2 fix didn't work.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CEL question, O2 fix didn't work.

Well Ive had a CEL on my car since I got it last year as it had a TBE with no O2 fix. Well I just got around to performing the O2 fix and it worked for like 3 days and now my CEL is on again Where is a good place to get codes read for our cars? I think I read somewhere that Autozone could do it but there isnt one close. I haven't had any drivability problems with my car but I want to make sure there isnt another code being thrown.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did mine tyoday also and it didnt work. i bought the two pieces from autozone and it went off for abit but came back on. mechanical o2 fix sucks.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

I wonder why it works for some but not for others?
Old Apr 9, 2006, 07:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The O2 fix works, but you need to use the long ones, and you can't just hog it out with a hand held drill! (although some have gotten away with a hand held and a steady hand) A drill press is best as the one that goes on the O2 sensor needs a precision drilled hole, and you DO NOT drill the 2nd one.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

I use one and it works fine....
Old Apr 9, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hand held drilled mine just fine. you just have to make sure you dont go with the biggest bit first. gradually widen it. i used two long spark plug foul plugs. just make sure you dont mess up the threads while drilling and you should be ok.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
The O2 fix works, but you need to use the long ones, and you can't just hog it out with a hand held drill! (although some have gotten away with a hand held and a steady hand) A drill press is best as the one that goes on the O2 sensor needs a precision drilled hole, and you DO NOT drill the 2nd one.
I used 2 long ones as explained in the How To section. Why wont a drill work as good as a press?
Old Apr 9, 2006, 08:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

A hand held drill can work... just most people really don't know how to properly use it... and if they do, they either don't have the strength, or a steady enough hand to drill a perfectly straight hole. When you wallow the hole out, too much exhaust gas gets by the undrilled anti-fouler and the over drilled one.

However, if memory serves, I got one CEL right after install. After I cleared it... never had another one... I'm sure I'm coming up on two years without now pretty soon.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 08:07 AM

Mine Works Fine And A Buddy Of Mine Put The Same One I Use On His S10 And No Cel What So Ever
Old Apr 9, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Just cause your CEL is on, doesn't mean it's exhaust related. Make sure you pull the exact code to verify what it is - you never know.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

That must be what wrong then . I used a drill press and everything but i used the shorter version p# 42002 instead of 42009. ill go get those and try them out please update the how to section put use the long ones instead of short for furture members thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Just buy the eBay o2 sim for 25 bucks. It's easy to install and works fine for me. It seems kinda hit or miss with the spark plug foulers... I decided to do it once and get it over with.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
A hand held drill can work... just most people really don't know how to properly use it... and if they do, they either don't have the strength, or a steady enough hand to drill a perfectly straight hole. When you wallow the hole out, too much exhaust gas gets by the undrilled anti-fouler and the over drilled one.

However, if memory serves, I got one CEL right after install. After I cleared it... never had another one... I'm sure I'm coming up on two years without now pretty soon.
I'm using the two anti-fouler setup. On the one that screws into the exhaust I drilled it down to the bottom, but not completely through. On the one the o2 sensor plugs into, I drilled all the way through.

So far I haven't thrown a CEL in about 3000 miles with this setup.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

this is the part number 42009, "HELP" is the brand. i got them at Pepboys. 10K + no Cel. hope that helps...
Old Apr 9, 2006, 01:55 PM

i drilled it out myself with a drill and put it in and i havent gotten a cel for like 10k now. there is no point in paying the 25 bucks for the one on ebay when u can buy the same thing at autozone for 5 dollars and drill it out urself