Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In the Market for Evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the Market for Evo

I've decided to part ways with one of my most favorite cars, my integra, and it's time for an evo. However, I want to know which Evo will suite me best for the track. From what I have read, evo8 5spd is the best for the 1/4 and drag, but the evo9 5spd gear ratios are just as short as the 9 MR? Is this true? I'm looking for the 1/4 car and Should I go with the MR or just stick with the 5spd? If someone could clear this up for me and give me any more advice before I make my purchase (gogo white)
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only version good for the drag strip is the 03-05 VIII 5spd, but it depends on how fast you plan on going. With a IX (5spd or 6spd), you can get down to 11.6 on basic mods without having to upgrade the valvetrain and gear ratios, but after the 115-116mph mark, which already requires a big bump to the rev limiter (8000rpm or so), you will need to shift to 5th or make some gearing changes.

Yes, the IX 5spd has BASICALLY the same gearing through 4th as the MR (VIII and IX).
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright thanks, I do intend on buying new as well,
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then you don't really have a choice unless you can find a rare, new 05 non-MR somewhere. With the IXs, you'll be limited no matter what model you get.