Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

U.S EVO= No front mount intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2002, 03:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Soleman20
As for the vent on the left side of the hood, I don't think it is for the intake. This is the intake, the new Maximas have the exact same thing...
The vent must be for the battery!

And lots of cars have an intake like that, WRX included.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 03:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, everyone just calm down. The Evo will arrive in Jan 03 with a front mount intercooler and everything else we love about it and we'll all be very happy.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 05:04 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by edogg23
Why does everyone think the evo will have such huge problems passing the crash tests with there fmic. I believe legally it only has to be 2.5 mph first off. Secondly, have any of you actually taken an evo and crashed it into something to test it? Well until you do, you can not say that it will not pass a crash test. You dont have anything to base this on except rumors and yet some people quote this like it is some kind of known fact.:soapbox:
Mitsubishi has said it themselves many times. Now of course you shouldn't always believe them, but they have said it many times.

The little intake on the left side of the hood is a NACA duct. I'm pretty sure it is NON-functional on the street version of the Evo, but it is definitely used for the rally cars, both as a regular intake and with a snorkel as needed.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RaX
The little intake on the left side of the hood is a NACA duct. I'm pretty sure it is NON-functional on the street version of the Evo, but it is definitely used for the rally cars, both as a regular intake and with a snorkel as needed.
True....very true

I think an aftermarket intake might get some use from that....I know that the intake that I have curves down into a spot that would be pretty much directly below that NACA duct.

Hooby
Old Feb 19, 2002, 12:15 PM

So let's see here... the new Evo VII will

1. Cost $45k
2. Have 230hp
3. Be non-turbo
4. Not have a FMIC (which would explain the non-turbo part)

I'd love to compile a list of these features and people who post them, and then after the Evo is released here, re-post them every week or so just to remind them how stupid they were.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by CheezeFrog
So let's see here... the new Evo VII will

1. Cost $45k
2. Have 230hp
3. Be non-turbo
4. Not have a FMIC (which would explain the non-turbo part)

I'd love to compile a list of these features and people who post them, and then after the Evo is released here, re-post them every week or so just to remind them how stupid they were.

You also have to add it's only being offered in automatic...and Mitsu decided to build the EVO here in the states so they can sell it for a cheap $45K!
Old Feb 19, 2002, 11:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Obviously, the only thing that matters at this point is what Mitsubishi has said which is:

1) Evo will have 250hp+
2) Evo will be under 30k
3) Evo will keep EVERYTHING, except what emissions and crash standards dictate they change

Anyone who posts something contrary to what is said above better have proof (Mitsubishi letterhead, etc.)

or

SHUT THE HELL UP!

I'm sure I speak for most everyone here when I say that.
Old Feb 20, 2002, 12:39 AM

Cool

I totally agree with atlvalet on whathas disclosed about the release of this car in the US. The only sound reason I have heard from some import dealers, is that the reason they are worried about the intercooler is not it passing the crash test...that is just another rumor everyone feeds into...It is more of a concern on insurance costs. What insurance companies will have to dish out in repairs on this car. Being that it is front mounted intercooler. Can get very easily damaged. Second reason I have heard is that if some kid or many who purchase this vehicle(due to to its low set price) with no kind of experience just get a hold of this powerful family sedan and race it thinking they are TM then causing some serious fatalities. Is a major concern offor sending this vehicle over here. I know this may seem like BS reasons forto even consider for us enthusiaists or guys who have done some track time and know how to handle high performance vehicles...but it is a concern to cause delay on specs and release.
Old Feb 20, 2002, 04:53 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

I completely agree with both atlvalet and deepcover6.
Old Feb 20, 2002, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

I completely, utterly and wholeheartedly agree with the last three posts!
Old Feb 20, 2002, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

I completely agree with the agreed upon agreements taht we agreed on in the previous agreement.
Old Feb 20, 2002, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by blitzpb
I completely agree with the agreed upon agreements taht we agreed on in the previous agreement.
Agreed!!!

This takes post whoring to a whole new level...
Old Feb 20, 2002, 05:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I feel cheap for just concuring with the previous agreements
Old Feb 20, 2002, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Can someone explain to me what the post whoring subject is all about. It sounds like something I would be interested in.

I cant wait for some new info from perhaps the New York Auto show? Or is it Chicago that is next month?

Nick, keepin the thread goin, so us PW's dont lose
Old Feb 23, 2002, 10:02 AM
rpm

Thumbs up

At the LA auto show Mitsu had an EVO Vll on display. It was a left hand drive setup. And, yes it had a large front mount intercooler.

Quick Reply: U.S EVO= No front mount intercooler