Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

U.S EVO= No front mount intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2002, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy U.S EVO= No front mount intercooler

I found this message on another board. Our EVO will probably get the small side mounted intercooler of the 2nd generation Eclipse. There is the missing hp. Also, this explains how Mitsu got the Evo to pass the crash test issues they were having with the front mount ic.

LOL!!
Whats up peeps? I went to the Chicago Autoshow again today wiht my cuzn from Modesto Cali. They loved it!! I took only 2 more pics of the Z and alot more pics of the BMW M3 and High class cars mainly!! Anyhow, there was these really knowledgable reps for both Nissan and Mitsubishi!! They knew everythign and anyhting, so I decided to throw soem questions at them and see what there answers would be!! (oh! btw that nissan rep chick wasn't there until later on, and yes, I got a pretty descent pic of her, lol!! I talked to htis cool guy who new his @!#$!!) The questions I asked were as follows:

Q) Why is it easy for GM to make such powerful cars like TransAM and Camaro SS fully loaded and still manage to keep the price at a fair deal?
A) GM uses there body type and eninge in many platforms of cars, the Camaro and TransAM are identical in both body and engine! We wanna make a sports car that is unique and independant....horsepower isn't all we were conserned about in order to acheive a FAST Z!!

Q) Is there going to be a turbo or supercharged Z in the future? And will it be costly as the previous 300ZXTT?
A) I don't know!! But, there has been talk about an even higher performance model that will be available form the manufacturer, with front and rear spoilers, and a better flowing exhaust!! The price should stay resonably fair!!

Q) How easy will it be to modify the 350Z?
A) About as easy as the previous 300ZX, except many front mounted parts might be a little easier to install due to the engine layout being further behind the wheels!

Q) Will the 350Z compete with cars like Mustang GT's and Camaros?
A) Mustang and Camaros are legendary cars as well, and have a great history behind them!! Yet, try to out-manuver the 350Z in the street and on the track, and you'll know why Camaros are soon to be gone!! LOL!!

these ar from the Mitsu guy:

Q) What will the Lancer Evo. do 0-60, here in the U.S.?
A) in japan, it does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds(jap spec) and by the time it hits U.S. shores, it will be de-tuned to about 275hp and do 0-60 in 5.1 seconds!! The intercooler won't be front mounted and not as large!!

Q) Between us two, I know Mitsu cars kinda have poor quality cars, will this Evo. be just like the rest of the Mitsu lineup of cars, in quality?
A) Mitsubishi cars are great vehicles if maintained correctly just as wiht any other car!! Yet! The Lancer Evo, unlike it's little sister, Lancer, it will be 98% built in Japan and will equip Japan Spec parts, except for the intercooler and airbags, which will be assembled here in the U.S.

Q) Will the Evo. compete wiht the Nissan 350Z?
A) The Evo. competed with the Nissan Fairlady Z TT in Japan, and outnmbered it in many catagories, except for styling!! I don't know about the New 350Z!! so I couldn't tell you much!!

Q) What will be a good competition car to the Evo?
A) Only one so far and thats the Subaru WRX STI version!! FAST CAR!!
Old Feb 17, 2002, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Very interesting....

This is a bright glimmer of hope amongest all of the GT-A talk

Thanks fer finding this and posting it!!

Hooby
Old Feb 17, 2002, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

What in gods name are you talkng about?!

edit: Oh, whoops, never mind
Old Feb 17, 2002, 02:23 AM

mmmm.....Fairlady .....lovely car.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info!! Exactly how was the intercooler mounted in the Eclipses?? Anyone have any pics??
Old Feb 17, 2002, 05:11 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Com'on the neon SRT has front mounted intercooler. I'm sure mitsubishi could achieve this. Expecially when redesign the front which is the new evo VIII.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 05:16 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait, i dont' care how mitsubishi does it. As long as it has a reasonable amount of horspower potential and if the intercooler is good to about 375-400hp without being any restrictions. That would suck 28k evo plus 2k to convert back to japenese spec.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Soleman20
Thanks for the info!! Exactly how was the intercooler mounted in the Eclipses?? Anyone have any pics??
This is NOT information! Jeez. Why is everyone here willing to believe anythign and EVERYTHING that is typed out! Use your head for crying out loud. Do some research on the facts, then you will see what a load of crap all this is!!
Old Feb 17, 2002, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

That's BS, seriously, no way in hell am I believing that. The vents on the hood of the Evo are not just for show, they serve a purpose, It has 2 vents and a tiny scoop, not really sure what the scoop is for, but it's obviously there for a reason. The STi is rumored to come here soon, no way in hell are they gonna make 280 something HP with the intercooler under the hood. Well they can, but it would be cheaper to put it behind the bumper and good get good true performace.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yah, the people that seem to believe everything here are typically new to the community (Im no old flower myself) but they fail to actually go and look up the press releases etc.

I think this forum needs a "read this first before posting" which would contain press releases known facts about the EVO etc. I think this would clear up alot of questions and stop these ridiculous rumors from spreading.

Nick
Old Feb 17, 2002, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by blitzpb

This is NOT information! Jeez. Why is everyone here willing to believe anythign and EVERYTHING that is typed out! Use your head for crying out loud. Do some research on the facts, then you will see what a load of crap all this is!!
What DO I believe then? I see where yer comin from man, but nobody and I do mean NOBODY knows the facts at this point.

Do me a favor and tell this to all of the GT-A believers.

Nobody on this forums has a clue what form the Evo is taking when it comes over. Press releases don't mean jack....pretty much all of the press releases we've seen have been saying "the Evolution will have 250+ hp, will be under $30,000, and will be here in Jan 2003", and then they go on to list the Japanese Evolution specs, not the US....

I agree that some of the rumors are incredibly ridiculous, but not having a front-mount intercooler has been talked about since we first found out that the Evo was coming over....It's been talked about because of the rigorous crash test standards of the US. Yes, there are other cars with front-mount intercoolers, but they're different cars, with different designs.

Infinity- The hood scoops are there to ventelate the engine, not for the intercooler. The one on the left side of the car is for the air intake if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry for the long post...I just kinda wanted to clear up a few things

Hooby
Old Feb 18, 2002, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

Right or wrong, information is informaton. We will see in a few months who was lying, who was right, and who was just plain wrong.

As for the vent on the left side of the hood, I don't think it is for the intake. This is the intake, the new Maximas have the exact same thing...
Attached Thumbnails U.S EVO= No front mount intercooler-evo_eng.jpg  

Last edited by Soleman20; Feb 18, 2002 at 02:20 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

Why does everyone think the evo will have such huge problems passing the crash tests with there fmic. I believe legally it only has to be 2.5 mph first off. Secondly, have any of you actually taken an evo and crashed it into something to test it? Well until you do, you can not say that it will not pass a crash test. You dont have anything to base this on except rumors and yet some people quote this like it is some kind of known fact.:soapbox:
Old Feb 18, 2002, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by edogg23
Why does everyone think the evo will have such huge problems passing the crash tests with there fmic. I believe legally it only has to be 2.5 mph first off. Secondly, have any of you actually taken an evo and crashed it into something to test it? Well until you do, you can not say that it will not pass a crash test. You dont have anything to base this on except rumors and yet some people quote this like it is some kind of known fact.:soapbox:
Calm down there homez....I merely said that the crash test standards were strict.....'cause they are.

They're definately more strict than Japan.

Hooby

Quick Reply: U.S EVO= No front mount intercooler