Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

0-60?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0-60?

Has anybody gotten (magazines) the 0-60 in 5 sec that is claming in their site? Don't the magazines usually get better numbers than the factory ?

Car and Driver has it at 5.4 sec!

Was that on 91 oct?

Thanks,
Old Apr 9, 2003, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

SCC has it at 4.9 secs but had trouble repeating it. I started a thread about this, not sure how to attach it, that was titled "did Mitsu make false advertising claims"
Old Apr 9, 2003, 04:44 PM

As you will notice with all cars, the 0-60, 1/4 mile, track performance and ratings will vary from each magazine (Car & Driver, Road & Track, Automobile, Motor Trend, etc....)

Take everything into account (driver, condition, etc...) and do some of your own times. You may see a 4.9sec somewhere but not many drivers can come close to that time.

Time is not everything....more importantly, it's the adrenaline rush of speed and owning an EVO...
Old Apr 10, 2003, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Blue Knight
Time is not everything....more importantly, it's the adrenaline rush of speed and owning an EVO... [/B]
Well said ... Blue Knight. Ohhhh, may add that it is also the thrill of 90mph up and down interstate ramps. I've yet to hear the tires make a peep either -- MAJOR GRIP IN WITH DA EVO!
Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:10 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car and driver is stupid. They estimated 5.5 to 60 and 1/4mi in 14.4 secs!

We all know most of us are running and have verified 13.5's stock and we are not professional drivers by any means. I bet that same driver drove the evo 6 to 13.9 where as scc drove to 12.9.

I hope they take the cars to professional drivers rather than the editors whom ruined the car and driver show on sat/sun.

Last edited by gtr; Apr 10, 2003 at 10:12 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:36 PM

As for Car and Driver, I don't think they got that time from any testing. I believe in an article a month or two ago, they estimated the time of the EVO based on its predecessor, EVO VII and another car in it's class. They pulled that 5.5sec time from in between the performance of the other two.

Besides, acceleration in a straight path is not the only strength of the EVO. Take it to the track and you'll see it'll outperform just about any car out there in it's class. I don't care if the EVO does the 0-60 half a sec behind another. The reputation and quality it has achieved does it for me. I don't need to prove that it can beat all others in its class to appreciate the EVO. That's not the way to love a car....I support it unconditionally.

my $0.02+ a dime......

Last edited by Blue Knight; Apr 10, 2003 at 12:39 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with all of you. I am not buying the car for the 0-60 alone. However it is frustrating when those idiots estimate, and or are not abler to extract the car's true numbers. Well, at least there is a positive thing about this. I am sure some WRX's drivers will line up and think they have a shot at beating it.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

youll hear a million times in your evo life about launching, i had a similar setup on my eclipse, but a clutch upgrade, centerforce dual friction (not reccomended go for act 2600 have it on the gvr4 way tougher) and i would clock in 0-60 in 4.5-4.7 all the time, on a stock clutch however, you might just toast it, look to the post "timed my stock evo today" that guy actually convinced the tires to light up which is what you want idealy to not bog and get that turbo spoolin.... he had an interesting tactic ive never used but im going to try in my gvr4 today after work... sounded interesting, i just rev to 5000 and start letting the clutch out, when it grabs a bit i gas it and dont let it out more until it hits 5500 rpms then release it quickly so as not to rev too high and toasty my money and then at a medium speed let it out the rest of the way, in the rain i spin the tires and sort of hover when i do it, in the dry i get a nice little bark out of it... maybe even a chirp chirp if im on Q
Old Apr 10, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Fred
I agree with all of you. I am not buying the car for the 0-60 alone. However it is frustrating when those idiots estimate, and or are not abler to extract the car's true numbers. Well, at least there is a positive thing about this. I am sure some WRX's drivers will line up and think they have a shot at beating it.
Hey, no sweat....we're all out here to share our love for the EVO. I agree that heat will rise when the STis come in. I've already heard too much debate about performance. This is my opinion. The STi may be a bit more powerful and faster in a straight road, but the handling will trail the EVO a bit on the track based on previous generations (based on the same track condition and drivers).

Once again, I keep to my rules. No need to put down other great cars to boost up yours. I'm sure the STi and others will perform well, but for me, the EVO is #1!
Old Apr 10, 2003, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

I have no doubts the STi will be quicker.

the car in question was the WRX. What are the odds to pull up to an STi driving an Evo. Very small where I live. And if I did, I would know better not to challenge it
Old Apr 10, 2003, 01:49 PM

the car in question was the WRX. What are the odds to pull up to an STi driving an Evo. Very small where I live. And if I did, I would know better not to challenge it
No comparison with the WRX...just looking at the specs you know it's not in par with the EVO.

I don't challenge anyone nor take any challenges on the streets period. I've learned to drive more wisely ever since I've crashed my previous baby, the S2000.

I only do "spirited" driving and would only race on the track.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Blue Knight

No comparison with the WRX...just looking at the specs you know it's not in par with the EVO.

I don't challenge anyone nor take any challenges on the streets period. I've learned to drive more wisely ever since I've crashed my previous baby, the S2000.

I only do "spirited" driving and would only race on the track.
Wow.. Ure one lucky person.. You've had a s2k, have a NSX-T and now have an EVO? You are really lucky..lol..congrats..
Old Apr 10, 2003, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

yes..id like to see pics of that NSX...please post
Old Apr 10, 2003, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

I would challenge it. Not everyday you get that type of matchup. Needles to say, unless that STI has mods under the hood he aint gonna catch me.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by stvbreal

I would challenge it. Not everyday you get that type of matchup. Needles to say, unless that STI has mods under the hood he aint gonna catch me.
What mods have you done to your car already? any others coming in the near future?

thanks,

Quick Reply: 0-60?