Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Project Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2006 | 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KillerMikeEvo
and future power mods. as of right now my mind is all over. i want to build a road race car. but then i also want a big big turbo to laugh at people. but in all to all i want a car that can drive on street have fun anywere on any track and still have good times. which a big turbo will such becasue spool up and then to much power at one sec. so im thinking strong on a 20g size. and hoping i can get that into the 10s. and or can go with a t67 or somthing that siZe with a 25g wheel and will have i think good spool, make fun power and make nice times. but hey just time to tell right. maybe i will go with a stock turbo and beat the big cruth brown guy haha.
well maybe a 3076R for quicker spool, or a GT35R if you plan on doing mostly drag racing...

maybe others with upgraded turbo's could chime in and give recommendations and why for this lightweight race car!!
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 12:02 AM
Former Sponsor

dude i've been looking, you can trim like 50 pounds of brackets and wires out of the engine bay.... ok maybe not that much, but i bet over 20 lbs.

i didn't see any pics of the engine compartment, but there are big places to save weight there.
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 12:21 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by althemean
proof read before you hit the reply button. Thats one hell of a job though....
thanks man

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Weight reduction starts with the driver. I'm not saying the thread starter is fat, but a lot of drivers are fatties whose diets consist of carne asada nachos and Bud Light. Maybe jogging a little bit and losing weight here and there (if you are a hefty one) would help out.
sorry my man befor posting a comment like that should knew me. im ~6' at 155lb dont think i can lose any more.
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 12:26 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
God help me for asking this question, but do you have a list of parts you have deleted and how much weight each one saves? Thanks in advance.

i have some what of a list going i mean what ya looking for i can weight it. but im going to go to the scale and but the car on it and i will just take a pic of the scale number and i will be good. but i do weight a good amount when i take it all out.

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
well maybe a 3076R for quicker spool, or a GT35R if you plan on doing mostly drag racing...

maybe others with upgraded turbo's could chime in and give recommendations and why for this lightweight race car!!
ya i dont think the 3076r is worth the money of what ya get out of it. as far i can have a 20g with faster spool and make same times on a 1/4 track.

Originally Posted by KevinD
dude i've been looking, you can trim like 50 pounds of brackets and wires out of the engine bay.... ok maybe not that much, but i bet over 20 lbs.
yes i knew there are a lot more thing to take out i have not even went to the engine bay, well i have. did a small battery and thats about it lol. and i knew i can take out the wire harness and cut all wire i dont need but that would be last of the last.

note there still power windows and power locks. so still more hehe but those are like 1lb if anything so will wait little longer.
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

well i think its great mate!

a few areas to look into.

seats, carbon fiber is you can afford, and bolt straight to the floor in you bets driving position. stearing wheel, and carbon fiber. then there is the dash wich you could do in Fiber Glass or CF. then there is the body work, agian to normal stuff. then there is the loom, you can save a little bit there. as said before get rid of anything elctric thats not needed.

and dont forget the balancer shaft, battery (swap for a smaller one and stick in the boot), lighter alternator, etc etc.

oh and slicks way a lot less than normal tires!

Chris.
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

I myself have been known to be called a weight reduction kit hahahahahha.
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 06:33 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by chuntington101
well i think its great mate!

a few areas to look into.

seats, carbon fiber is you can afford, and bolt straight to the floor in you bets driving position. stearing wheel, and carbon fiber. then there is the dash wich you could do in Fiber Glass or CF. then there is the body work, agian to normal stuff. then there is the loom, you can save a little bit there. as said before get rid of anything elctric thats not needed.

and dont forget the balancer shaft, battery (swap for a smaller one and stick in the boot), lighter alternator, etc etc.

oh and slicks way a lot less than normal tires!

Chris.

so mate your alittle late if i had all the money in the world i would be done. but i do have a race seat that is bolted to the floor. as you can see. the seat belt i didnt get the harness yet and that is what stoping me from taking some stuff out. and a friend is going to be doing a lot of CF stuff for me just have to wait for him to get out of school. and then we will go to town with it. and some of the things your talking about. the cost vs weight does not matter at this point in the car. there other things to spend money on.

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
I myself have been known to be called a weight reduction kit hahahahahha.
what are you trying to get to? i dont understand you are a kit?
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

You still have alot of places to cut weight judging by your pics. I have made a weight savings thread already.... Here are some weights:

Stock Battery / Bracket -> Lightweight = 17.2 lbs
Trunk Stuff / Carpeting / Wood = 41 lbs
Front bumper = 13.4 lbs
Rear bumper = 17.1 lbs
Blower motor = 6.8 lbs
Heater/AC Core = 7.2 lbs
Firewall Deadening = 14.2 lbs
Passenger side airbag = 6.1 lbs
Driver side airbag = ~5 lbs
A/C Fan = 6.4 lbs
Refrigerant = 3.5 lbs
Condensor w/ lines = 9.8 lbs
Compressor = 14.1 lbs
AC Bracket = 4 lbs
Rear wiper assembly = 5 lbs
Evap / Purge Stuff = 9 lbs
Stock seats -> Summit seats (2) = 32 lbs
Remove wing = 7 lbs
Rear Seat / Back = 21 lbs
Both rear speakers = 8 lbs
Floor Sound Deadening = ~16 lbs
Under car braces = ~5 lbs
Front strut brace bar = ~5 lbs
Fuel Cell conversion = ~25 lbs
Underdash stuff = ~4 lbs
Front seat belts (Swapped for 5 points) = No gain

You still have the Evap stuff, You still have the blower motor and heater core. You could get rid of the stock sunroof. I will post up a pic of what it would look like without one. I would guess the sunroof would save you over 30 lbs. You still have all the undercar bracing. It appears you still have all the underdash stuff and airbags. More huge spot that I dont have weights for are:

Brakes
Suspension
Rims
ABS
All wiring/sensors for airbags and ABS
Removing exhaust for the track
Gutting doors (At least the rear)
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a car that swapped a sunroof for some sheet aluminum. Looks pretty nice if ya ask me.

http://www.vasso.net/gallery/showpho...o/3668/cat/630
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 11:53 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
You still have alot of places to cut weight judging by your pics. I have made a weight savings thread already.... Here are some weights:

Stock Battery / Bracket -> Lightweight = 17.2 lbs
Trunk Stuff / Carpeting / Wood = 41 lbs
Front bumper = 13.4 lbs
Rear bumper = 17.1 lbs
Blower motor = 6.8 lbs
Heater/AC Core = 7.2 lbs
Firewall Deadening = 14.2 lbs
Passenger side airbag = 6.1 lbs
Driver side airbag = ~5 lbs
A/C Fan = 6.4 lbs
Refrigerant = 3.5 lbs
Condensor w/ lines = 9.8 lbs
Compressor = 14.1 lbs
AC Bracket = 4 lbs
Rear wiper assembly = 5 lbs
Evap / Purge Stuff = 9 lbs
Stock seats -> Summit seats (2) = 32 lbs
Remove wing = 7 lbs
Rear Seat / Back = 21 lbs
Both rear speakers = 8 lbs
Floor Sound Deadening = ~16 lbs
Under car braces = ~5 lbs
Front strut brace bar = ~5 lbs
Fuel Cell conversion = ~25 lbs
Underdash stuff = ~4 lbs
Front seat belts (Swapped for 5 points) = No gain

You still have the Evap stuff, You still have the blower motor and heater core. You could get rid of the stock sunroof. I will post up a pic of what it would look like without one. I would guess the sunroof would save you over 30 lbs. You still have all the undercar bracing. It appears you still have all the underdash stuff and airbags. More huge spot that I dont have weights for are:

Brakes
Suspension
Rims
ABS
All wiring/sensors for airbags and ABS
Removing exhaust for the track
Gutting doors (At least the rear)

nice i been wanting to take out all the ac stuff but i dont really knew how to in a way. like i need a diagram of how it all goes in so i can cap things off hat need to be caped off and all.
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget about a diet - could easily shave a few pounds if you're a little overweight
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 12:07 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by meanmud
Don't forget about a diet - could easily shave a few pounds if you're a little overweight

as i said befor if going to post comments like this dont do it hear.
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

I was wondering what is the purpose of this? Are you trying to weight save and make it into a 'Track Car'? If so why not take everything out and put in what you need for the specific class you are entering in the SCCA or NASA.
The car that comes to mind is the Cyber EVO or the WORKS/ CYBER EVO time attack car
Or Robi's car

Either way, good luck on the weight savings!
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 12:19 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by racerhead2
I was wondering what is the purpose of this? Are you trying to weight save and make it into a 'Track Car'? If so why not take everything out and put in what you need for the specific class you are entering in the SCCA or NASA.
The car that comes to mind is the Cyber EVO or the WORKS/ CYBER EVO time attack car
Or Robi's car

Either way, good luck on the weight savings!

well as any car build up it takes time. just like how rome was build. (as someone told me same thing) and i em seting up for a track street car. still can drive it all the time and its light woot woot.
Old Apr 14, 2006 | 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meanmud
STOP ****ING POSTING THIS IN EVERY WEIGHT LOSS THREAD!

Jesus Christ, does it occur to you that not everyone is a fatass?

Quick Reply: Project Weight Reduction