Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Using fog lights normally

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2003, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using fog lights normally

When driving at night now I tend to just turn the fog lights on and use them along with the HIDs now, since the HID's are pretty low and you can't see a whole lot sometimes. Do the fog light bulbs burn out any faster, and do they blind oncoming traffic? I don't want to be an *** or anything...
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:49 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
They blind oncoming cars, especially "friendlys" - other low slung sports cars, namely.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

All the fog lights just fill the space immediately in front of your car but before the HID beam hits the ground, with light. I really don't think they will improve the distance which is lighted in front of the car.

But at the same time, I wouldn't really worry about the bulbs burning out prematurely. And if they do, bulbs are cheap, and usually easy to replace.

And I also wouldn't worry about blinding oncoming traffic with em. The HID lights would be more prone to blinding on coming traffic because their beam shoots forward of the car. The beam of the fogs are pointed downward.

Turn on the fogs!

SC~ who turns em on cause they 'look' cool...huhu... yeah...
Old Apr 10, 2003, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Not always, depends on how you mounted them, some people take the time to tilt them down just a bit to keep most of the beam away from oncoming traffic, but then again I don't think the lights work as well when you do that even though fog lights only light up about 10ft in front of you
Old Apr 10, 2003, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone thinking of changing the Fog lamp bulbs to closely match the shade of the HIDs? If so, what company makes harness friendly bulbs(melting harness syndrome).
Old Apr 10, 2003, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Just a thought, and potentially a wrong one since I haven't even seen an Evo yet, but can't you aim the headlights higher? I know they have the electromechanical height adjustment, but I'd bet there is still an adjustment screw somewhere on the headlight asssembly to do a more coarse adjustment...
-N
Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EVOLUTION/RC51
Anyone thinking of changing the Fog lamp bulbs to closely match the shade of the HIDs? If so, what company makes harness friendly bulbs(melting harness syndrome).
PIAA Extreme White (very white) or Super Plasma (slight tint of blue). I've used Super Plasma to match my HID kit.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Does the Evo come stock with fog lights?
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, they're integrated into the headlight cluster.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by neilscully
Just a thought, and potentially a wrong one since I haven't even seen an Evo yet, but can't you aim the headlights higher? I know they have the electromechanical height adjustment, but I'd bet there is still an adjustment screw somewhere on the headlight asssembly to do a more coarse adjustment...
-N
I've asked this question a couple times before, and no-one seems to be able to answer it!! I'd love to know that too!!
Old Apr 11, 2003, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Look under the hood.

All headlights are adjustable. I'm sure there is a way to adjust the lights so that they point to wherever you would like. but with HID's you have to be cautious about how you aim the cluster. If the lights shine too directly at oncoming traffic, you will dazzle them with the brightness.....and you'll likely get high-beam flashed a lot by the oncoming traffic....not to mention that if the cops in your area are sensitive to that issue, you'll be pulled over repeatedly.

SC~
Old Apr 11, 2003, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I just need them to come up maybe about an inch or so... That way it'll give me more like a couple feet of beam on the roadway.. But I was looking and nothing really specifies it... I don't wanna mess with it and break something unless it's a proven solution...
Old Apr 11, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

OK, so where's this headlight adjustment screw at?
My left headlight seems to be a little higher than my right one.
I don't think the dealer alighned it before they gave me the car, because I got the car right off the lot. They peeled the protective covering and **** off the car the morning I picked it up.

I think I'm going to get some yellow bulbs for my factory fog lights. In real fog, the cheezy stock bulbs don't do much.