Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aproximate Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cneio
Hummm, that is scary! The guy at evotuner.com told me that the stock ECU would work fine with the mods. I still have not driven the car, because the parts are being installed now. Should I buy a boost controler? However, gas in Brazil is really bad ... more than half the gas stations have adultered gas (they put lots of cheap alcohol, water and even some solvents).
Oh my goodness... with gasoline like that, you definitely need to have either a flash or a tune that will be very conservative. I would guess that the car should be tuned to run at lower boost, richer mix and more retarded timing. Under no circumstances should you attempt to turn up the boost. I would not install a boost controller because of the possibility of turning it up.... Please contact the people I suggested and see what they think. Based on your situation, I'd say the power will be much less, but it will be safer and still more powerful than anything else over there
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
hahaha.

Yeah, with those parts untuned in the states on 93 pump you should be right around 300whp. Stock you would probaby dyno around 230whp.
Not so.... I've owned an EVO VIII with all those mods and AEM EMS plus more and it barely got 290whp on a DD dyno. The stock '03 EVO VIIIs were dynoing around 200~220 whp.
300 whp untuned with cams and an exhaust is wishful thinking... Unless you use one of those "magic dynos"
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
do you know the octane rating for pump gas in brazil? if yes you could get an xede from vishnu and use a base map from there web site.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverEVO8
Oh my goodness... with gasoline like that, you definitely need to have either a flash or a tune that will be very conservative. I would guess that the car should be tuned to run at lower boost, richer mix and more retarded timing. Under no circumstances should you attempt to turn up the boost. I would not install a boost controller because of the possibility of turning it up.... Please contact the people I suggested and see what they think. Based on your situation, I'd say the power will be much less, but it will be safer and still more powerful than anything else over there
There is only 1 gas station the all the Ferraris and Porsches go to (and I go to as well) which sells a top quality 95 octane gas from Petrobras. It costs US$6,10 per gallon, but it is worth it (I had a turbo fiat and I blew my fuel pump with adultered gas - cost me US$1000 to fix it), so now I only put gas on that station. I will contact Vishnu, and lets see that they say. Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

here in my country gas stations do the same sh*t but you need to find a serious gas station that seels quality gas if not then you are in big trouble
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

ok but is it 95ron or 95mon?
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
do you know the octane rating for pump gas in brazil? if yes you could get an xede from vishnu and use a base map from there web site.
There is only 1 gas station the all the Ferraris and Porsches go to (and I go to as well) which sells a top quality 95 octane gas from Petrobras. It costs US$6,10 per gallon, but it is worth it (I had a turbo fiat and I blew my fuel pump with adultered gas - cost me US$1500 to fix it), so now I only put gas on that station. I actually felt that the Fiat was even more sensible to cheap gas than the EVO is. I think that my EVO is already modified to "handle" the cheap gas in Brazil, as the other japanese cars are already. The car is really fast, but the other day (with the car stock) a M3 ran with me on a take off. I am taking the car to Interlagos - formula 1 race track - and we will see how it goes in the drag racing against other brazilian cars.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

you should get one of those G-meter things
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

ok but is it 95ron or 95mon?
What is the diferente between 95ron or 95mon?

I know the octane is 95 but not sure if it is ron or mon
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AUSS1E
you should get one of those G-meter things
What is the G-meter?
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

What is the diferente between 95ron or 95mon?

I know the octane is 95 but not sure if it is ron or mon

you should ask if its ron or mon, its just different measures for octane
as an example:95ron is 89mon
98ron is 92mon
mon is used in the USA but europe and asia use ron for measuring octane!
so if its 95ron you have then is not a quality gas at all,but if it 95mon then yes its the best pump gas you can get!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

here in my country we have 96ron which is 90mon ,i have an xede from vishnu and have a map for 91oct,what i do to be on the safe side of things is i use NOS octane boosters!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

What is the G-meter?
It's a little electronic "dyno" it measures acceleration, lateral G's, and probably other things too... I would rather see what the car does in reality. As for the M3, those cars are fast and might be faster than the EVO with lower quality fuel... They have a lot more displacement... Also, they have more torque and are easier to launch. However
with a little practice you can probably take him
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

you should ask if its ron or mon, its just different measures for octane
as an example:95ron is 89mon
98ron is 92mon
mon is used in the USA but europe and asia use ron for measuring octane!
so if its 95ron you have then is not a quality gas at all,but if it 95mon then yes its the best pump gas you can get!
I will ask the gas station today if it is ron or mon, cool I did not know that, thanks a lot. In your country how much does the EVO cost? You got any dynos there?
Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
It's a little electronic "dyno" it measures acceleration, lateral G's, and probably other things too... I would rather see what the car does in reality. As for the M3, those cars are fast and might be faster than the EVO with lower quality fuel... They have a lot more displacement... Also, they have more torque and are easier to launch. However
with a little practice you can probably take him
The M3 in Brazil costs 2 times more than the EVO about 200 thousand american dollars - they better be faster. This had an AC Schnitzer thing written on it.

You know any good brand of this eletronic dynos? The G-meter? I think my
HKS Type 1 turbo timer has a function like that, but I have not messed with
it yet, so I dont know.

Quick Reply: Aproximate Horsepower