Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Brand new IX leaks oil everywhere at 2k

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new IX leaks oil everywhere at 2k

Anybody else experiencing this? I've been noticing a small patch of oil in my garage around where the right side of the engine would sit. I gave it a look and I can see that there is an oil film on the aft portion of the block from underneath the the intake manifold down to the bottom of the oil pan (obviously). Each of the aft 10 mm bolts that hold the oil pan are basically saturated.

So, I tightened up the oil pan bolts to hand tight (I don't know the torque specs)... they were all torqued to a fairly low torque setting. However, I don't think that this would explain why there is an oil film above it that almost reaches the intake manifold.

Would 23 psi cause a gasket leak around there? I'm runnnig an Ecutek from Vishnu... so I'm not pushing some crazy boost levels here. Why am I seeing engine oil all over the rear of the engine when the engine only has 2,000 miles on the clock? I thought this engine was almost bullet proof and that the japs could build an engine right from the factory.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Running too much boost use to cause the 4G63 dipstick engines to pop-up making a big mess of oil in top of the engine, I am sure I can get feedback from guys on this forum with similar experiences.

Your situation is very rare, I ran well over 23psi before on the Evo 9 and my oil pan is dry as hell. Give a call to Mitusbishi and get those oil pan screws tight to the correct torque. It could be a factory defect.

The most typical oil leaks on the 4g63 are the valve cover gaskets and people overtorquing the 10 mm screw on the valve cover causing the metal to crack and getting a permanent oil leak.

Also the oil feeding line going from the turbo to the block is famous for leaking or getting loose.

Good luck!

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Apr 21, 2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a common problem on the VIII's as well, usually an oily film around the back of the block w/ no visible area of exactly where the leak is at. This problem has happened on those w/ and w/o headstuds. Don't think there is a "cure" for this problem.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, that sounds plausible. The dipstick could very well be popping up I suppose if that's what you are saying. It seems friggin strange though since no boost should be in an area outside of the combustion chambers. Is that what you are saying or are you saying that the spot where the dipstick tube enters the block could be leaking... cause that looks like where it "could" be coming from.

What's the torque spec for those oil pan bolts? I think that I could have possibly over torqued one of them a little while ago.

Edit: I think that I posted this in the wrong forum possibly. I cross posted this question over at the evo engine forum.

Last edited by Mmelmann; Apr 21, 2006 at 02:32 PM.