Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Strange Rattle!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange Rattle!

Yo fellas,

I just noticed today while driving around that there's a rattling sound coming from what seems like the passenger side of my engine compartment. It sounds like something is loose up there, but I don't think that's what it is because it only happens when I'm on the gas pedal. There's no sound when I'm coasting, but whether I'm in neutral or in gear, boost or no boost, I hear this rattle that comes up sporadically. Any ideas what it could be? I looked around in the engine bay and nothing stood out at me. Checked around under the wheel well too and couldn't find anything. It's really annoying me and I want it to stop!!
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

My car talks to me too
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

mine makes the same noise..ive spoken to a bunch of other ix owners and they said they have the same sound
Evolving Member

ha ha haha....sorry i hear it too...it all started when i put my stock advans back on after taking my winter tires off....i hear all sorts of noises...
1. suspension thumps after a bump=blown strut? leak in the strut? wheel bushing? ball bearing? stearing rod? all sorts of things could b wrong...took it to mitsu they said it was nothing wrong with it, nothing is loose, i still hear it in the passenger side= i only had 3 usable advans so i still have a winter on my driver side.....may b i got too used to soft winter tires rather hard advans? ...also hear a leak on my exause cause i have a stock cat and a 3 in downpip/cat back...the cat is melting or breaking and just rattles after i push it
Evolved Member

The joys of the Evo. I found the source of a rattle yesterday that had been bugging me for a couple weeks. It was the seat beat buckle rattling against the side of the passenger seat. I switched the angle of the buckle and Ta Da - no more rattle.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

I have a rattle as well. I have had it for a while now and it happens usually only during idle or when starting from first gear, but I have been hearing it lately when I fall below 2500rpm. I haven's gone all out to see what it could be but I am guessing that it may be some heat sheild or maybe the exhaust hitting the under brace bars. Maybe my stock hangers have drooped over time?? My car is a couple years old now and the rattle only started around this winter time. She still runs good though so I haven't made a stink about it. I will mention it during my next oil change which will be next month.

If you find out what it is let us know, good luck.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get the Dash noise, sound like a small cable boucing against a panel. Never hear any rattle from the Engine compartment.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Evo's do tend to rattle a little. The RS it louder by far.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

yeah they sure do have noises, i always wondered if mine was the exause hitting the heat shield....ill have to check this weekend
Old Apr 21, 2006, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

you own an evo, get used to it
Old Apr 21, 2006, 03:36 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I have a slight rattle as well, but I'm used to it.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

i figured if i stiffen up the chassis...with beatrush suspension parts..."fairly priced" imo....i think the noise and drivavility will definatly improve..anybody have beatrush suspension parts with imput?
Old May 2, 2006, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

man.. i was going to post the same thing... i did search the forum and found couple things that could cause it which im going to try later:

1: passenger side seatbelt bolt cover (on the bottom)
2: windshield cover piece (plastic piece under the wiper blades, this seems to be the main cause i found so far)
3: Misc items in glove box
Old May 2, 2006, 08:09 AM

yeah, if I wanted a nice quiet cooshy car, I would've bought a buick.

The noises can be almost worse with the SSL, because of all the "creeking" leather noises.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

hey.. actually.. i have the rattle now and did the TSB fix that mitsubishi had out for a while... IT DOESN"T WORK!!! ...now im really annoyed... any ideas? i can no longer drive with my window closed..its getting really annoying and quite loud...

Quick Reply: Strange Rattle!