Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Momo shift knob fit?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2003, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Momo shift knob fit?

I'm thinking about getting a Momo shift knob, either this one

or this one

I'm kinda leaning towards the second one, but it's hard to tell until you see it in the car. Anybody know a cheap place to pick up one of these suckers? I'm looking on ebay and it looks to be the cheapest place so far. Not like you really need a warranty on something like this...

Also, I'm wondering if it's necessary to get a momo boot for this? The end of this knob kind of tapers off and I'm afraid the stock boot on the Evo will look a bit odd, or rather, it will look very "short." The boot will cost an extra $50 (damn, just for a piece of leather!) too, so unless I really had to I wouldn't want to get one.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 11, 2003, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

I ordered a momo shift knob only to be utterly dissappointed. I wish I would've checked around the local shops first. Check your shops first before ordering online. What happened was I got the knob I wanted which looked PHAT in the picture. Arrives on my door step only to find out it's about twice the height of my stock knob It literally stood up to the stereo almost and looked absolutely rediculous. So I'm trying to get the company to take it back and or sell it. I bought the silver knob from Mitsu and couldn't be happier. It looks very nice and matches the interior nicely.
Attached Thumbnails Momo shift knob fit?-knob01.jpg  
Old Apr 11, 2003, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

Another knob image.
Attached Thumbnails Momo shift knob fit?-knob02.jpg  
Old Apr 11, 2003, 03:07 AM
Evolving Member

some momo pedals I installed
Attached Thumbnails Momo shift knob fit?-pedals.jpg  
Old Apr 11, 2003, 03:09 AM
Evolving Member

And last but not last as I just finished installing my Turbo Timer only I don't have pics yet. Here are the scuff plates I highly recommend nobody getting. They look great and are nice but no way in hell are they worth $110!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially since I had to install them to the friggin black plastic scuff plates already there.

Edit--> forgot pic. next post

Old Apr 11, 2003, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

Here's the friggin scuff plates
Attached Thumbnails Momo shift knob fit?-sills01.jpg  
Old Apr 11, 2003, 03:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, actually my friend has this one in his Eclipse, I'm gonna see if I can get him to let me throw it around a couple times before I buy it. It looks pretty small, maybe even smaller than our stock shifter. I'm just worried about the fit and if it'll have an ugly metal extension between the knob and the boot.

Yeah, those scuff plates do look nice, but.. $110 is quite the price to pay

I've seen some go for like $30 on ebay, but they only say "Lancer" and not "Lancer Evolution"... wonder if that's worth an extra $80?
Old Apr 16, 2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Evilution
I ordered a momo shift knob only to be utterly dissappointed. I wish I would've checked around the local shops first. Check your shops first before ordering online. What happened was I got the knob I wanted which looked PHAT in the picture. Arrives on my door step only to find out it's about twice the height of my stock knob It literally stood up to the stereo almost and looked absolutely rediculous. So I'm trying to get the company to take it back and or sell it. I bought the silver knob from Mitsu and couldn't be happier. It looks very nice and matches the interior nicely.
Can I ask you what Momo knob you get? Cause I also got the a Momo knob and it is also... "higher" then usual. I am trying to figure out how to remove the boot without having to pry it with screwdrivers so I can lower the knob ring that holds the boot up so I can set the knob a little lower and pull the boot higher to cover up the disgusting gear level extension.
Momo knobs, at least the one I got (but I think they all install the same way), make you first put in the thread ring... it's the silver ring at the bottom of every Momo knob you see in the pictures. When you attach the knob to the the gear level, you finish it off by screwing the thread ring, so that means you HAVE to leave a gap for you to screw the knob in. In order for it to look nice, you NEED to adjust the boot after you install the knob.
Anyone know how to do this on the Evo, let me know.

Last edited by EvoCorp; Apr 17, 2003 at 12:42 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

I really don't need the shift pattern on the knob, plus I prefer a round grip, larger than the Momo or one...

its a Pearl Black knob from Flameballs , but I did trim the shift handle threads by a 1/2" to get it as low as I wanted.

Edited to say that yes, I do need to clean the car, this past weekend's autocross got more crap blown in there than I realized...

Last edited by 2Cool; Apr 16, 2003 at 10:14 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yo 2cool, what kind of radar is that? v1? or passport?
Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by 2Cool
I really don't need the shift pattern on the knob, plus I prefer a round grip, larger than the Momo or one...

its a Pearl Black knob from Flameballs , but I did trim the shift handle threads by a 1/2" to get it as low as I wanted.

Edited to say that yes, I do need to clean the car, this past weekend's autocross got more crap blown in there than I realized...
hey i noticed u have a passport 8500 also. its truly a great detector. but here in sunny southern ca, i have this major problem with mine, it gets really really hot and the suction cups get soft and the metal will actually slip off the suction cups or the suction cups will fall off altogether. i'd imagin u have the same problem is sunny florida? how do u solve this problem?
Old Apr 17, 2003, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I have never had any problem with the Passport 8500, and just bought a second one for the wife's Expedition. Even in the heat down here it stays where I put it. I have mine up high, to the left of the mirror. If you have window tint across the top then it will help shield it.