Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In car video camera mount for the evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
That's funny, M3this. I mounted my camera using the clamp mount hanging upside down from the rearview mirror, and it was PERFECT, but the vid was upside down, and after much searching, I found no way to flip it. Everywhere I saw the question asked, people said it would require a huge amount of processing power to do it. Then, a week later, a buddy of mine said he was able to figure it out on his personal computer, so it's good to hear that you can also do it with basic Movie Maker. If I can flip vids, then I will use my rearview with a tether on the camera. Sweet.

Here's a link to my new thread with the clamp mount on the safety restraing latch. s2krn, let me know if there is a different mount that ChaseCam has that's made for the latch.

My non-harness bar in-car camera mount (pics)

Yea windows movie maker is mellow and worked great for flipping it ... took me a whole 5 min
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:43 PM
Account Disabled

Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Ultimate, does the camera shake much on the extension? I'm wondering how shakey the video is when you watch it. That is a pretty good set up as long as it's stable.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:42 PM
Account Disabled

I will try and dig up a old drag video with the suby, I would have to say there is about zero shake with it, its very very sturdy, I guess if you had a fairly heavey camera it would shake a little but I could be wrong on that...
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Last trip i made to Spring Mountain, one of the guys there with an S2000 brought his suction cup camera mount and it worked great. We used it inside and on the body panels of my friends car to great success.

Here is one of the kids mounting it onto my friends WRX with 320whp.

It was my friends first time tracking his WRX... so he was stuck in the beginner class. Here is a video we took with the camera suction cupped to the inside of the glass on the rear passenger side window. (i lost the video of it mounted to the door panel)

WARNING: VIDEO IS 340mb! Server is fast though. RIGHT CLICK AND 'SAVE AS'.
http://www.kalionzes.com/video/SpringMountain.0001.mpg
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ oh... and his car has a VF34 turbo, full exhaust with headers, etc.... intercooler, dyno tuning, and more.

The exhaust in the video is a side exit test pipe. So it sounds mean as hell and was SUPER loud. You could hear exactly where he was the whole time he was on the track. It was classic!

Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I got another email from Randy at Chase cam tonight. He is going to let me try out some ideas he has and see what works best. I'll keep everyone posted on what works. Sounds like there is some interest on evo m for a bracket that works well and ties in easily to the rear deck lid. Thanks again to Randy at www.chasecam.com for taking the time to work something out for the Evo.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know about putting my $600 camara on the out side like Ultimate CC did.
But I guess it realy works well, I can't wait for mine to get here
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:39 PM
Account Disabled

Yea I trust it enough to put it out there but if you are really worried hook up the tether that is like 10 dollars or so from them..
Old Apr 29, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Here is an initial pic of the options Randy sent me from www.chasecam.com. Basically there is one base plate that the bolt for the child safety restraint will fit through to bolt it back to the decklid. It attached as the base to either the swivel attachment or the straight one with just the swivel ball head on it.
Attached Thumbnails In car video camera mount for the evo-cimg3249.jpg  

Last edited by s2krn; Apr 29, 2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

Looks good, maybe I will have to order that adaptor for my kit...
Old Apr 29, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

These pics are a few of the options for mounting the video camera using the swiveling attachement. The camera could be mounted straight up, swiveled and resting for support on the brake light, or swiveled and almost resting on the back seat. It looks much better with the camera off as well. It sits the lowest to the deck lid folded down but can be used to give the same amt of clearance as the adapter with the ball joint.

Attached Thumbnails In car video camera mount for the evo-cimg3268.jpg   In car video camera mount for the evo-cimg3277.jpg   In car video camera mount for the evo-cimg3276.jpg   In car video camera mount for the evo-cimg3275.jpg   In car video camera mount for the evo-cimg3282.jpg  

Old Apr 29, 2006, 07:53 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

I made my own mount. Sponsored by Home depot, spent like $5.
Like some here, I removed the center baby seat latch and bolted it in.
Can't tilt the camera but it's also a lot cheaper
Old Apr 29, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

These are the last pics I have. They show the attachment using the ball joint with the camera and without. This puts the camera pretty close to the back window. If your camera is taller then a few inches it probably wont work. THe swivel on the other hand can be moved and twisted for just about any size camera. Both this and the swivel can be used leaving the child safety restraint still in place and functional. Also I threw in a pic of the camera on the 3 in extension sitting up high in the back window on top of the swivel attachment.
Attached Thumbnails In car video camera mount for the evo-cimg3287.jpg   In car video camera mount for the evo-cimg3262.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old Apr 29, 2006, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

I'd have to double check with Randy about the price, but I want to say he mentioned 25-30 dollars for the set ups. That would be each of course. He sent me all these to try out to find out what worked. I'll let y'all know what the final price is. I think the swivel is the best set up for the camera bc it lets you raise the camera or swivel back on top of the brake light, or go all the way forwar for a bigger camera that might have a clearance issue with the back glass. I think I got about all the pics needed to show all the functions. Let me know if I missed something. Thanks again to Randy.

Quick Reply: In car video camera mount for the evo