Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got around to taking off my front lip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2003, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got around to taking off my front lip

Well, after last weekend's ****ty incident, I got around to taking off my lip. It was pretty painful, I had to get through all the aerodynamic plastic pieces first to actually get to the lip. Here are pictures:

the largest cover piece underneath the car

here's the lip, taken off

see those circles? those are clips where the screws go in - they're part of the lip

these are on the other side, where the screw holes are BROKEN, which is why my lip was hanging off like it was in the earlier pictures

the other pieces that were under there too

Anyway, as you can see, the screwholders are broken - I do have the broken pieces and I *could* crazy glue or epoxy them back on, but say its slightly off, then I'm kinda screwed. What do you guys recommend? Now that I know the problem is this small, maybe I could just take it to the local body shop and see if they have a good solution for it.

I think I'll be paying about $125 to get my rims fixed and rebalanced. The place I'm going to is Wheels Wizard, in Richmond VA. Apparently they take orders from all across the country, and after seeing the work they've done... hot damn. The rim looks like it rolled right outta the factory! It'll probably look shinier than my other rims.

Well, now that these plastic pieces are OFF my car would it be safe to drive around a lot? I'm afraid road debris might damage the IC or whatever else is underneath that is no longer protected by the plastic aero parts.

Last edited by zstryder; Apr 11, 2003 at 03:00 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'd epoxy the plastic back together. I'm betting the places where it snapped will be very easy to line up again. If there's any stretching of plastic anywhere, that's the only reason I can see that the body shop might be able to help out more with, but admittedly, I don't know how to deal with that.
-N
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

I think you got off easy man.

The only part that looks like you should really need to replace is the screen protecting the FMIC.

As for the plastic screw holes.....PC-7 is your friend! It's just about the best epoxy for this kind of stuff. Even if you don't have all the plastic to rebuild the screw holes fully, PC-7 works as a filler. They sell it at home depot.

If you need help with the repair, let me know. I'll come by if your home from school.

Then if for some reason you think your repair is sub-par, buy a new lip.

SC~
Old Apr 11, 2003, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

PC-7 epoxy eh? I guess I'll take a look for it. I don't suppose this thing is like super duper adhesive and will get my fingers stuck together if it overflows a little will it?

I guess the thing with epoxying it back on is that you can see on the side of the lip that actually has the intact screwholders, that they're white - which probably means they've had a lot of stress put on them already. But then again, I don't plan to have another one of these freak incidents, so we'll see what happens.

As for the FMIC mesh, I now have access to the underneath so I could use pliers to try to bend it back into place. It's actually not just the mesh that's bent, but the tab that it's screwed into is actually bent in. Anyway, I'll probably drop by the body shop just to get a 2nd opinion, they can't charge me for that anyway. Does someone have the part number for the mesh, and maybe it's price? Fireball? That way I can get a good judgment call on how much to spend for repairs on that mesh if I don't want to buy a new one.