Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buschur Stage 2 kit w/Deluxe I/C install pics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by bernardo
IX Stock - 270whp

IX with Buschur TBE (w/test pipe) and MBC set at 21psi (no tuning) - 322whp

IX with Buschur TBE, 21psi and custom DynoFlash - 355whp

IX with TBE, Walboro, 21psi, Deluxe I/C, BR intake and Dynoflash - 360whp
Yet RNR say their FMIC gains 30+whp on the stock turbo by bolting it on.... Pffffttt . lol
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is some serious power on minimal mods. All these evo IX threads do is make me angry that ive put so much more in and gotten considerabley less
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Looks good. Got any pics of the front of the car after the FMIC install?

Fathouse
Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yet RNR say their FMIC gains 30+whp on the stock turbo by bolting it on.... Pffffttt . lol
Yeah, I've seen manufacturers say that, and it's a pretty ridiculous claim. I'm not saying every car is going to be like mine, but no one is going to net 30hp from bolting on an intercooler.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fathouse
Looks good. Got any pics of the front of the car after the FMIC install?

Fathouse
I'll hopefully be taking some today after work. I'll post them up in this thread.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
ohh and btw, you need to heat wrap the downpipe. your cooking your oil like that

Not necessarily. It's not gonna really hurt anything. I've had downpipes closer to the oil pan before.

As far as the tune, congrats. That's good power and it's good that you understand that it didn't necessarily gain you 50 peak whp unlike most who can't justify spending money on other parts to get to where they need to be performance-wise.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
and buschur claims 15 whp by bolting on the standard or delexe FMIC

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Jeff Jeske,

From your post #150. Believe me, you are very wrong about the stock FMIC, it is a big restriction and needs to be replaced long before a turbo upgrade is every considered. Even our standard and deluxe kits will gain 15 whp over the stock unit.

The FMIC is more power for less money spent than the 20G turbo.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
And this guy gained 5whp on an air filter, fmic, and the retune. Which leads me to believe, he gained nothing on the FMIC. Maybe the IX stock IC is better then the VIII ?

I never really believed the claims from just bolting on a new Intercooler. With tuning, however i fully believe those gains, since you are now working with the cooler intake charge.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice power in the end but I am shocked that the power you gained with the FMIC is so low. It is not typical, as a matter of fact I haven't seen gains that low ever. Typically we see 15 whp from any one of our FMIC's. The boost pressure goes up when you install a FMIC from the lessened back pressure through our cores compared to the stock I/C. This combined with the additional cooling is what makes the power go up. I see you regulated the boost to 21.5 psi on each session. I believe had you dyno'd the car and then just installed the FMIC and let the boost go up you would have also seen the 15 whp improvement that we always do.

The boost was there before, it was just backed up in the core. Leaving the boost controller set up the same way and installing a better FMIC will let the boost through to the engine, out of the exhaust manifold/head and allow more boost with less knock than before.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Apr 25, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Dave, you bring up a good point.

On the second pull during the tune, the car made 369whp but it was a little lean up top. I asked Al for a very safe, somewhat conservative tune and we ended up only netting 5whp over the previous tune.

I could have left the car tuned around the 370whp mark, therefore getting me the 15whp that David talks about. The car’s certainly very capable now with the addition of a stronger fuel pump, good intake and top-notch intercooler.

We could easily have turned up the boost (or left it up, using David's scenario) to ~22-22.5psi, as I run 93 octane exclusively. I like 21psi with some room to grow if necessary.

It was tuned at about 21psi, but as soon as we pulled the car off the dyno and road tested it, the boost shot up to 23psi (as was to be expected with a real-world type load on the wheels). I lowered it to about 21psi, but it really is amazing how knock-resistant this car is.

Like I said, I'm wicked happy with the results because the real-world benefits of a better intercooler are apparent every time I drive the car on the road. The dyno just proved to be a good tuning tool and measuring stick.

Last edited by bernardo; Apr 25, 2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

More pics added to post #1...
Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Very glad to hear you are happy. The results were what I am attempting to defend. The FMIC will allow you to run more boost but the boost is actually there anyway. Before it was just backed up in the head causing the car to be more knock prone.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:57 AM

Great numbers and nice car! That thing must haul *****!
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

I'm impressed every time I see the quality on these FMICs. Just look at those welds!
Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
IX with Buschur TBE, 21psi and custom DynoFlash - 355whp

Good gawd !!!!

that's amazing.... for around a grand you're pulling those numbers - makes me want a IX even more.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BR Deluxe FMIC vs. BR Race FMIC

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Typically we see 15 whp from any one of our FMIC's.
Dave, sir.

Basically, the deluxe FMIC should be more than enough if someone is running either the 20G-9 or the GT30R.

I'm not trying to stray from the topic but your quote led me to think that it was alright.