Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Drop in air filters: Un-confuse me please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 01:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
I don't have HP figures (although some of our customers have posted results elsewhere), but I do have some other numbers. We tested four various filters (stock, a leading foam filter, a leading competitor's filter, and the WORKS filter) using a Superflow Flowbench.

Not surprisinginly (in my biased mind anyways ), the WORKS filter came out on top. What was surprising is how much on top it was. Our filter outflowed the stock unit by 240%, the foam filter by 200% and our competitor by 150%. All testing was back-to-back-to-back-to-back within moments of each other.

They are worth the wait and we should have them back in stock very soon. Give us a call if you want your name added to our waiting list. Thanks!
Was the pressure drop also measured using the same flow rate for each filter?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
save your $$$ stick to stock paper filters.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BoostLimit,

I can only speak for the K&N filter drop in because I had it. The problem about getting the MAF reading errouneously is true, the problem is originated when people over oil their air filters.

For the most part, if you apply a light coating of oil you should never have any issues, if you over soak the air filter with K&N oil then you will have issues.

Carlos
Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and too less oil can mean even worse filtration than a new in box K&N. Seriously, messing with filters is just not worth it IMO. You need a lot of supporting mods (read: bigger turbo) to exceed the limits of the factory airbox / filter.

There are a number of tests around the 'Net proving the filtration problems of higher flowing filters. Higher flow does not mean added power on a basically stock engine. If your engine is getting all the air it needs a higher flow filter is not going to help.