Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

accelerometer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accelerometer?

this seems to be such a simple question it belongs in the newbie section... Why doesnt anybody have gauges that measure acceleration? it seems like it wouldnt be that hard to make... just speed and time.. or maybe the derivative of speed? Also it would be handy to know on the spot just how consistantly or quickly your car is accelerating. ok have at me..

Last edited by halfnhalfevo; Apr 27, 2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see why someone would want a guage like that. Your car is going to accelerate at the rate at which it is going to accelerate. During hard driving you don't want to be looking at guages either. Logging acceleration would be a good thing, but only if you could get it in all directions as to put it into a G-G diagram so it can be analyzed. A product such as this can do that for you http://www.race-technology.com/WebPa...1/DL1Home.html. Or even a Gtech meter if you want something cheaper.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:41 AM

thanks man
yeah i guess i went on a tangent on my own post... i was thinkin more along the lines of comparing cars performance on paper and for tuning purposes. stroll up to someone at the track or a newfound friend and simply ask about accelerometer ratings right along with hp tq and all that other cliche stuff that is measured when sizing eachother up.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by halfnhalfevo
thanks man
yeah i guess i went on a tangent on my own post... i was thinkin more along the lines of comparing cars performance on paper and for tuning purposes. stroll up to someone at the track or a newfound friend and simply ask about accelerometer ratings right along with hp tq and all that other cliche stuff that is measured when sizing eachother up.

Yea... it's called a g-tech. i believe it uses 2, beam type silicon acccelerometers, 90º appart. Professional quality telemetry and data aquistion equipment is also availible for race cars.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

I've seen a couple in Car Toys before. Here's one I found online:

http://www.gtechpro.com/
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

they do.... evo pulls like .93 lateral G's on a skid pad. the new Z06 vette is a little better. it is a great benchmark for handling ability of a car. it is fairly easy to measure too, make a 200ft skidpad and record your best time around in each direction.

we just set a record in our formula car last sunday. 1.51 G's not bad at all....
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by KevinD
they do.... evo pulls like .93 lateral G's on a skid pad. the new Z06 vette is a little better. it is a great benchmark for handling ability of a car. it is fairly easy to measure too, make a 200ft skidpad and record your best time around in each direction.
we just set a record in our formula car last sunday. 1.51 G's not bad at all....
i have seen these before and remember the top gear showing lateral g acceleration in that nifty display in the dash of the r34, but i was thinkin more in terms of straight line acceleration, and simply why it isnt commonly used.

all good input tho, i believe my interest has been piqued and satisfied

ps that must have been hell of fun for the driver

Last edited by halfnhalfevo; Apr 27, 2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

although it would be damn near impossible to actually record. my pioneer avic n-1 has Vehicle Dynamics which gives you readouts of your speed, force of acceleration, angular velocity, force of side acceleration, and the slope of your vehicle