Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K&N Dropin = bad MAF

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2006, 01:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WWMR05
I did wipe mine down and specifically checked it for extra oil when I put it in. I would blow it out with a compressor first until oil was not coming out in any large volume. If I thought the oil was going to travel to the MAF I obviously would not have installed it at all for the minimal gains you get.
great advice

I think this case was just a fluke - but the MAF sensnor is too costly to take a chance
Old Apr 28, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

IMPORTANT - the K & N drop in has proven very reliable and this is a very rare occurence
That's why I tried to be clear with this statement below that I'm not trying to say anything is wrong with K&N products.

This is not meant to be K&N bashing, I think they make a good product in general
Old Apr 28, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WWMR05
Just wanted to let you guys know about what happened to me with the K&N dropin. I was getting custom dynoflashed yesterday and something was keeping the car for running right. Turns out all the extra oil from the pre-oiled K&N I was running got inside the MAF and it couldn't read correctly. A new MAF solved all my problems, but the K&N cost me $$$$

Do not use this filter IMO. See the dynoflash thread for more info if you want.
thats what i heard
Old Apr 28, 2006, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

The Toyota people once told me that TRD likes to "over oil" their filters from the factory so they don't dry out sitting on the shelf. I am assuming this would apply to K&N also. So therefore, you can play it safe by cleaning and re-oiling the filter yourself if you want. That should fix the problem, unless you over oil it yourself.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

i switch out from using K&N or the hks. never had any problems