Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K&N Dropin = bad MAF

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Dropin = bad MAF

Just wanted to let you guys know about what happened to me with the K&N dropin. I was getting custom dynoflashed yesterday and something was keeping the car for running right. Turns out all the extra oil from the pre-oiled K&N I was running got inside the MAF and it couldn't read correctly. A new MAF solved all my problems, but the K&N cost me $$$$

Do not use this filter IMO. See the dynoflash thread for more info if you want.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well iam using a k&n drop in and it once gave me trouble my car would stumble when accelerating it but i clean the maf and i took away with a cloth the excess oil of the filter and i havent had more problems!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I really dont see that happening, alot of people have used that filter, all over the world and have never had that problem, Im not saying it could happen, but it would have to be dripping with oil.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

There are many threads discussing this issue and they warn of using too much oil when servicing the filter. Was this a brand new K & N?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:54 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

That is why I went with the Works drop in filter, not overoiled from the factory like the K&N.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, it was a brand new K&N.

I really dont see that happening
Well guess what bro, it happened.

I'm sure the MAF could be cleaned, but I didn't want to have a problem down the road. I'm going to try and clean my MAF and keep it as a spare.

This is not meant to be K&N bashing, I think they make a good product in general. I had great success on many DSMs with open K&N filters, but this evo filter is just plain over oiled IMO.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

No problems here..
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't notice the problem either until the tune. Seemed to be fine before that. If you're not having a problem that's great but you might just want to check out your MAF for oil.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
how many miles did you have with the K&N? Getting kinda scared and will be switching to a buschur type cone filter soon to avoid this. However, I had the K&N for about 1k miles and I was wondering if it would have caused any damage in this short time.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

i have seen a couple that were pretty severly over oiled. we used a towel and the air hose to get rid of the excess and never had a problem. I still like the K&N but must agree that if it looks too oily it probably is so try to clean it off. simple easy fix.

you can also test your MAF to see if it is ok which it should be.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

how much is a new maf?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The filters come goo'ed up from the factory. I also had this problem, but caught it before it did any real damage. My MAF was COVERED in red oil, right out of the box. I switched back to stock filters. So the word to the wise is don't just throw it in there out of the bag, gotta wipe it down first. The funny thing is that I've never had this problem with the 3 other cars I used K&Ns with, only the Evo.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

new MAF is 420 from factory. The thing is use common sence with this.. if it is covered with oil wipe it down, save yourself some dough.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

I did wipe mine down and specifically checked it for extra oil when I put it in. I would blow it out with a compressor first until oil was not coming out in any large volume. If I thought the oil was going to travel to the MAF I obviously would not have installed it at all for the minimal gains you get.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 01:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by WWMR05
Just wanted to let you guys know about what happened to me with the K&N dropin. I was getting custom dynoflashed yesterday and something was keeping the car for running right. Turns out all the extra oil from the pre-oiled K&N I was running got inside the MAF and it couldn't read correctly. A new MAF solved all my problems, but the K&N cost me $$$$

Do not use this filter IMO. See the dynoflash thread for more info if you want.
I think a few details should be added in

The car ran great on the dyno - no problems

Upon the road test I found a rough spot at a very low rpm section you would prob never use in normal operation - 1500 rpms FULL TPS

Step by step diagnosis confirmed a oiled up MAF sesnsor as the cause

IMPORTANT - the K & N drop in has proven very reliable and this is a very rare occurence

Still it is possible with ahevily oiled intake

My suggestion is it yuou have a oiled filter try to blow off some of the excess oil with a air gun before you inatll it

They really lay the oil on big time at K & N - too much

BTW - in two and a half years and prob at least 1,000 cars tuned on the dyno at pruven this is only the second time I found a problem during my on the road test drive

This shows why a careful post tune test drive is key to identify any issues so they can be resolved