Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What size fog bulb does my Evo IX /SSL use? (yes... i've searched)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's BS. Mitsu corporate didn't tell you that.
Old May 2, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew LB
^^^ Try telling that to Mitsubishi Corporate. They said anything other than mobil 1 and they'll void your warranty. They specifically said so and they'll check my oil at a lab to to make sure I didn't fill it with another top notch synthetic.
+1, I've had the dealer tell me that before too.

Anyways, back to topic.
What about those of us w/o the SSL package, what's the best way to upgrade our lights? I'm looking for a brighter solution that stock.
-Thanks...
Old May 2, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9006 HID upgrade for non SSL owners.

Running 80w + bulbs is a ticking time bomb. You will see very little improvement in lighting from the fog lamp in the Evo because its shrouded to begin with (look at the steel surround which points the light wide and low).

Im sorry but anyone telling you its safe to run 80w bulbs in a housing designed for 55w is mistaken. Those cheap bulbs are notorious for being all over the place power wise to begin with, poor quality control etc. might lead to a 85-90w bulb (all bulbs vary in some degree of course) and that might be the fine line between no problems and $200 in repairs courtesy of the local dealership.

I would just stick to 55w and reduce the fear everytime you smell something burning as it might not be that famous Evo clutch this time
Old May 2, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be taking some photos tonight of my car with my 6000k HID's with my 80w SPP Precision Optics H11 fogs. While the fogs matched perfectly the stock HID bulbs, they are much more white compared to the 6000k HID bulbs i'm currently running. The 6k HID bulbs definitely look spectacular though!

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Sorry bro. But my brother in law works for Mitsubishi Corp in Cypress, CA about 5 miles from me and he specifically told me that one of the first things dealership service managers are told to look into is whether or not you're running anything other than Mobil 1 and in fact, if the damage is very expensive, they'll actually take a sample of oil for testing.

If you live in SoCal, come to MOD (mitsubishi owners day) at their HQ. My brother in law will be there and tell you exactly what i've told you.

9006 HID upgrade for non SSL owners.

Running 80w + bulbs is a ticking time bomb. You will see very little improvement in lighting from the fog lamp in the Evo because its shrouded to begin with (look at the steel surround which points the light wide and low).

Im sorry but anyone telling you its safe to run 80w bulbs in a housing designed for 55w is mistaken. Those cheap bulbs are notorious for being all over the place power wise to begin with, poor quality control etc. might lead to a 85-90w bulb (all bulbs vary in some degree of course) and that might be the fine line between no problems and $200 in repairs courtesy of the local dealership.

I would just stick to 55w and reduce the fear everytime you smell something burning as it might not be that famous Evo clutch this time
Well i'll be the guinea pig then. I'm now running 80w SPP Precision Optics H11 80w bulbs and they run just fine so far. I ran the same bulbs in my A4 for over 4 years with zero issues as well. They're not cheap bulbs either. www.supremepowerparts.com is almost exclusively a non brick & mortor online retailer (they do have a lift and stuff for flashing ECU's, etc though) and the owner is my friend. He said since he began selling these bulbs as opposed to the cheaper ones he used to sell, he has yet to see a single car have an issue with them melting harnesses.

What about those of us w/o the SSL package, what's the best way to upgrade our lights? I'm looking for a brighter solution that stock.
-Thanks...
For fogs i would recommend a quality H11 55w or 80w bulb from www.supremepowerparts.com (ask for Eric and drop my name, you may get a hookup). For the high beams you can buy their very nice 60w 9005 bulbs and for your regular headlight beams, get the 9006 bulbs they offer.

I've owned Sylvania SilverStars, PIAA bulbs, etc.... and while they're great. The price/performance value of these bulbs from SPP are unmatched.

Plus if you live in SoCal, you can avoid shipping and stop by the shop. They're located off the 57 freeway and the 91 freeway.

www.supremepowerparts.com
Old May 2, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
Sorry bro. But my brother in law works for Mitsubishi Corp in Cypress, CA about 5 miles from me and he specifically told me that one of the first things dealership service managers are told to look into is whether or not you're running anything other than Mobil 1 and in fact, if the damage is very expensive, they'll actually take a sample of oil for testing.
Well then from now on they have to give away free Mobil 1 when you come in for an oil change if they are going to make you use a certain brand. Then they have to send out letters to everyone that owns an Evo that puts that in writing as well as new manuals for all too. Sorry.

If you live in SoCal
<----------- Ummm, no. Obviously I don't. Tell your brother in law to call me.

Last edited by GPTourer; May 2, 2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old May 3, 2006, 01:59 AM
Evolved Member

Relax man. I tried the same argument when i started using royal purple 10w30 but was told by 3 separate dealers as well as mitsu corp that only mobil 1 syn is acceptable. I think its BS also because amsoil and royal exceed any mobil 1 product.

Plus its common knowledge that mitsu will do anything they can to avoid paying for warranty repairs.
Old May 3, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I am perfectly relaxed. I am just stating the fact that a manufacturer can't make a policy change like that without notifying all the owners. They also can't force you to buy any maintenance/wear item like filters, belts, tires, oil, sparkplugs, etc that they manufacturer or endorse without giving it away for free. They can say they require any replacement used must meed or exceed the quality of the item they recommend, and that they will probably go to great lengths to prove or disprove that should a failure occur that is possibly caused by that item, but that isn't the same thing as what you are claiming.
Old May 3, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Precision Optics are they white boxed bulbs or labeled as so in a plastic retail box?
Old May 3, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

They are in a plastic retail box but no labeling on them.

I tried to take a few photos of them lit up in my garage but i'll have to wait till tonight to get some decent shots.

The precision optics bulbs are very bright and extremely white. They would compliment the stock HID bulbs almost perfectly. But now that I have 6000k HID bulbs in my car which have a slight blue/purpleish tinge to them, they're not matching but still look good. The visability on the road is amazing when i was driving last night.
Old May 3, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, thats a generic bulb from Korea or China most of the speed shops sell. I did not think they would have some of the better ones private labeled, too small a shop. Same bulb sold on ebay under the GP Thunder brand 'plasma white'. We compared both side by side a month back working on my buddies new A4 - same bulb but $16 vs. $30 from SPP!
Old May 4, 2006, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by res04
Yeah, thats a generic bulb from Korea or China most of the speed shops sell. I did not think they would have some of the better ones private labeled, too small a shop. Same bulb sold on ebay under the GP Thunder brand 'plasma white'. We compared both side by side a month back working on my buddies new A4 - same bulb but $16 vs. $30 from SPP!
If it makes you feel better, i got them for $15. Also got some 6000k Xenarc Osram HID bulbs for $125.

And no.... i cannot get you guys hookups. I get Spp lots of business so we work out deals on parts.
Old May 4, 2006, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
You can call BS all you want. The fact of the matter is you're flat out wrong.

/thread.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

How do you like the xenarcs? I just installed the Ultinons, not that much difference vs. stock color wise. Maybe they need run time though.
Old May 5, 2006, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by res04
I'll find out where the bulbs are from tomorrow. I know for a fact that he used to sell some cheaper low quality bulbs but stopped selling them because of reliability issues. These new ones work great.

How do you like the xenarcs? I just installed the Ultinons, not that much difference vs. stock color wise. Maybe they need run time though.
Xenarcs are excellent hid bulbs. They do cost a pretty penny, but i think they're the best quality i've seen.
Old May 5, 2006, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have pics of the bulbs? I am thinking of getting them to. I want a set of bulbs that matches my HID. Also The dealers have told me the same thing about oil so I believe him. They will say ANYTHING to get away from the warranty and most people will not bother to fight them because a law suit would take for ever and chances to win are very slim.

Quick Reply: What size fog bulb does my Evo IX /SSL use? (yes... i've searched)