Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Uh oh...paint on my IX...

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh oh...paint on my IX...

Well, just got back from Bogota and washed my car yesterday. As I was washing with my wash mitt, I could hear almost like a sandy sound the whole time. Well today in full sunlight, I notice that there are fine spots of paint, almost like overspray on my car. All over it! You can feel it in the paint, see it on the windows, the black trim...and the paint is a greyish color. Coincidentally, my neighbor had their house painted while I was gone. GREY! I don't know if it was with a roller (That wouldn't make sense) or if it was with a sprayer (Makes sense)! Now I know the painters that they hired are not licensed or insured and we get along great with our neighbors. I hate to start fires in my own neighborhood. So, should I just ask them if they sprayed or rolled? Should I point out the fact that my NEW car is covered in overspray?

The paint on the window comes off rather easy with a little rubbing....But I have only done like 1 inch spots. So I am sure a nice polish could get the paint good to go. but what about the black trim? the windows?! Any ideas without starting the Hatfields and McCoys?

Kris
Old May 1, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Claybar is supposed to get rid of some "overspray". Id give that a try first before starting a neighborhood war. Good luck.
Old May 1, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure some professional autobody/paint can help you out if polishing and buffing dont work.

I suggest you garaged your EVO or if parked outside.. get an car cover.
Old May 1, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WICKed'N'EVO
I'm sure some professional autobody/paint can help you out if polishing and buffing dont work.

I suggest you garaged your EVO or if parked outside.. get an car cover.
Thanks guys. Our garage is so small i can barely fart in there. That is a no go. My SRT-4 didn't even fit in there. They might as well call it a 3 bed/2.5 bath/1 closet garage! I am going to be getting a california car cover soon. Just been strapped lately.

Kris
Old May 1, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

ask them what they did... and just have them pay for a detail.
Old May 1, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Ok here what happened to my girls car the other day,

She owns a 93 White Toyota Truck whcih she parks outside.

Neighbor painted his new fence with a sprayer. Red

Red spots covered the entire truck.

Vehicle needed to be claybarred to remove all the overspray.

Car Spa Took car of it.

Your neighbor is responsible for the "damage" to the car. Our neighbor ended up paying 300$ for the 5 hours of claybar that it took to remove everything. Hope this helps!
Old May 1, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds odd, but many professional painters use paint thinner to take overspray and paint transfers out. There is enough clear coat already BAKED on your car you don't have to worry about it harming your paint. Just take a clean rag, pour some paint thinner on it and rub the overspray off...then spray some spray-wax on the car to get the film off. It works great.
Old May 1, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

it should be easy to remove...we painted our house[exterior]...and a week later i found spots [light orange] on my tarmac06...i washed it first make sure you rinse it real good then i used my fingernail, slowly scratching it...it was a pain but i got rid of....it was all over the right side...

here's what "I" would do...talk to your neighbor...explain to them whats going on...dont go crazy...you can exagerate the things its costing you...and have them pay so you can get it fixed...then go far away somewhere and wash your car yourself...

try and see if that works...yu dnt want war on yer neighbor....
Old May 1, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

aww man that seriously sucks.....just try removing the overspray with the claybar...it has alwasys worked pretty well for me

and yea confront your neighbor, but in a friendly way. find a common point that u both agree on so u can enter the discussion smoothly, then ease into the issue with ur car. this way u can remove any possible defensive mechanisms on his part and talk to him like two civilized people.
Old May 1, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

My office is in an industrial area... I get overspay constantly when I do not cover the car. Get a good claybar, (http://www.claymagic.net/) is my favorite, not an auto parts store version. The Meguiars does not seem to work nearly as well. Use plenty of lube and it will remove it easily.
Old May 1, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

try to get it off but still bring it up to the people next door. Find out who the painters were and take it up with them. if it doesnt come off just make it known that you expect it to be repaired, i had a car that was in a lot and got oversprayed with a clear blacktop sealer. i went to the owner of the company and told him the situation, they paid a bodyshop to do all the removal of the substance

good luck
Old May 1, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

I heard wetsanding the car will get overspray off.
Old May 1, 2006, 04:23 PM

dont wetsand or polish you re just gonna get horrible swirl marks - a quality clay bar will take every drop off make sure u use a good lubrican t not just water and take your time then give it a good coat of wax