Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Coversion MAF ~ Speed Density

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Conversion MAF ~ Speed Density

Can anyone go over what is involved to convert including wiring mods and new equipment ?

Last edited by value; May 2, 2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old May 3, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant tell you about converting to speed density really, but i can tell you about converting to a gm maf. im running a blowthru setup in my intake and the maf in the ic piping. wiring was simple but you need some sort of translator.
Old May 4, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you already using a standalone? With the AEM you need an Air Intake temperature sensor, and a map sensor. The GM AIT sensor is popular and cheap, and you can buy it and the pigtail harness from gmpartsdirect.com

If you are running the AEM, you simply;
1-disconnect and remove the maf sensor,
2-wire the AIT sensor into the maf sensor plug harness (Or use a fields harness and make a longer wiring harness which I did)
3-Disconect the Stock Map sensor, if you buy a schwitzer or buschur billet adapter you can remove the map sensor as well.
4-wire the MAP sensor into the stock map sensor plug or route your harness to the fields harness.

The AEM manual has a pinout of the ecu diagram. You'll also want to get the pin out for your AIT sensor and MAP sensor. Use the AIT ground and voltage sources as shown for stock on the wiring pin-out, and do the same with the map sensor.

If this is not enough info, I can post up the diagrams and wire color/references when I get home.
Old May 5, 2006, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, looking to see what's involved and IF it's worth it. Currently running a Xede.
Old May 5, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by forum04pl
i cant tell you about converting to speed density really, but i can tell you about converting to a gm maf. im running a blowthru setup in my intake and the maf in the ic piping. wiring was simple but you need some sort of translator.
How would you do that?
Old May 5, 2006, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Using the stock ECU, there's only two speed density options that I"m aware of currently, a third is due shortly.. But I honestly don't think speed density is the best choice compared to a blowthrough conversion (if you find it really necessary to do anything at all)

First is the MAFTPro, second is MAP-ECU...

There used to be an HKS VPC (Vane Pressure Converter) which has long since been discontinued

And turboXS is due to release a new firmware (no release data available) capable of speed density.

Personally I use a blowthrough MAF based on ProFlow Electronics and a recalibrated ford Cobra meter integrated directly into my upper intercooler pipe. I have had much better results with this unit, than anything else I've tried for getting a good stable idle with a stock ECU, no stalling, no VTA issues (even though I don't VTA) and consistent airflow without drivability glitches.

With all of that said.. Unless you have a specific need to convert away from the stock MAF (no a VTA BOV is not a good enough reason! Even considering it costs twice what the BOV costs just to do it) I would keep the stock MAF.. Its more than capable of flowing enough air for all but the most extreme cars, or cars with very special needs.

Speed density is quirky, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it takes time to configure correctly and to get the car to run right. Fortunately there's enough people who have done it that you can get help.

Would I recommend the unit I use? Well, Yes and no.. I would never switch back to the stock MAF after running my unit for awhile, however given the expense and effort, I probably would not have done it knowing that. However I did have one of the only stock ECU cars that ran a blowthrough unit at the time, and have been running continuously one on an Evo much longer than anyone, I can see its other values and am comfortable getting it to run (I can get a smooth idle on a stock Ecu with 280 HKS cams and big injectors)

Would I recommend speed density? Well, unless your running a full standalone, then I wouldn't, I know what it takes to get it to work, and I know its shortcomings from working with it on other cars, especially in climates that change drastically.