Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

$305 Boost Gauge and Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dan l
Why are you going cheap on a boost guage? The AEM is only $1800 and you can get the 6 bar MAP to go with it so that you can log boost. Dude your cheaping out and your gonna blow your poor car up. Your going to learn the hard way.

sorry i can't afford one~ but at least im not on here talking crap about people who choose to go with the AEM ^.^
Old May 4, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stikillller
is that a good deal? i got a brand new defi amber 60mm boost gauge and a control unit II for 305 shipped. Good deal??
STI killer,

Sorry I responded so late otherwise I would have solved your issue in advance.
When you mention the defi gauge with the controller that means that your gauge is the electronic version. I have that particular kind in my Evos.

The controller run anywahere around $105-$115 and the gauge itself reatils for well over $260 but you can get them for about $220-$230 so yeah, no doubt, $305 for both shipped is a smoking deal in my opinion.

Carlos
Old May 4, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
Wow I just cant stomach 305 dollars for a gauge that provides nothing more than asthetics to the car, heck my SW lights up red and provides the same perf. but hey to each its own I guess? Party on man....

btw You paid $5 more for a boost gauge minus the pod! than I just did for my used buschur catback, oh no used exhaust on a 35k car...oh the humanity!

sorry just had to throw some sarcasim into this, its my nature.......
That is why there are a huge variety of opinions and budgets. If you wanta cheap Boost gauge I can get you one boost gauge out of whitejcpeney catalog for $20 or go to autozone and get you a $20 boost gauge and a $15 air pressure controller from home depot as a MBC.

The gauge that he is getting is perhaps one of the best or if not the best gauge in the market, I have them in my cars, they are just the perfect item for somone that is looking to have more than just a boost gauge.

It can record peak boost
it gives you visual indication of peak boost by a red led
it gives you also an acustical signal when you are overboosting
it calibrates everytime you turn off and on the ignition
It can record and play previous boost runs via controller
It comes with special background agaisnt sunshine glare

The list goes on and on. Just because is too much for you is does not mean that is not worth its weight in gold.

my .2c
Carlos
Old May 4, 2006, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DanJ
I really don't think it's even the look or quality of the gauge that matters that much it's the features that matter. A gauge without warning is close to useless. If I'm driving on the streets paying attention to the road I wouldn't notice the oil pres gauge drop out of the corner of my eye. But if I had a defi or another brand that would send a warning and visually tell me something is wrong, I would immediately be notified and pull over and save the motor on it's last leg.
i agree wholeheartedly

and about the nexus gauges... they have very "cool" features, the lights change colors as you go into warning and they beep and all that stuff... pretty neat.
Old May 5, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

sorry, people are different right? I never have and never will do USED. I'm not rich, just that I don't like "used" items. Do you want your future g/f or wife to be "used", hahahhaa just an analogy~anyway good for you going with buschur.
btw anybodys future wife or gf will be "used" because when you get older there is only a small % of virgins still out there and unless your rob the cradle or have dated a girl and married her out of high school, you will be getting "used" as so will she!
Old May 5, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

sorry i can't afford one~ but at least im not on here talking crap about people who choose to go with the AEM ^.^
Hes not talking crap....He is saying that the aem is the best "gauge" for monitoring boost and if people want the best they shouldnt buy defi and should get the aem for 1800? hes being sarcastic towards the fact that you think defi is the best gauge out there when aem logs boost and is a step above?

its not so hard to understand........

Last edited by travman; May 5, 2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old May 11, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Well if you want to talk big bucks look at the Gruppe-s combo with the EGT and oil temp in addition to the boost (great price but still too much for me). I drooled over these guages and the CH panel all winter and now I accepted the fact that I simply can't afford this sweet OEM looking combo. I am going to settle for just the boost guage mounted on my steering column. I decided to drop the cash on porting and coating my extra exhaust mani and new 10.5 turbine housing instead. That and I bought an O2 housing. All from Buschur. I figured that would be a better way to spend the cash. So StiKillller can you please let us know where you got this deal? And a bit off topic, if anyone comes across this and has a used Defi Imperial BFR boost you want to sell can you please PM me? Thanks!!
Old May 11, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

I would never spend 305 on a boost gauge.... EVER.
Old May 11, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Well you arent me and I would spend that much. I would never buy a VW. EVER!
Old May 11, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

I already had Defi gauges from my S2000, all I bought was an EGT gauge and the boost gauge and I love it. No gauge matches better then the Defi to the Evo's interior.

Old May 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

So sexy but so much $$$. I like the carbon pod but don't think I would like blocking the tach like that. Is that the RMR one?
Old May 11, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by sairaag
I agree why spend 300 dollars on a damn boost gauge? So it looks good? I rather buy an autometer base gauge or a vdo and switch to a red LED (witch I did) to match the interrior car and the cost is only 35 bucks + 25 for the pod. 50 total for the set up. Youc an use the other 250 for an intake or somethign usefull.
35 + 25 = 50?
Old May 11, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

**** i just got my 10.5 hotside and ebay o2 for that kinda money..

ill spend the money on 25 whp over a fancy boost gauge, but thast just me.
Old May 11, 2006, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Well I already have that stuff so now it's time for a fancy boost guage. And the whole point of this thread is not to say "I wouldnt do that," the point is to say whether Stikilller got a good deal or not which he did. We are getting very off topic here.
Old May 11, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

sairaag, you are talking about this being a waste of money in one breath and then talking about spending $250 for an intake in the other. Now that is a waste of money.