Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

6.5 Speakers for the Evo8

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infinity and JBL = Excellent.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks alot coda,,, I found that the gti's are mounting depth of
2 3/8 " woofer and 1 1/8th tweeter. If these dont fit what should I put in the doors? On ebay they have mb quart reference rce 216 components for $189.

Also I think im going to get a sisius radio, one I found I like is the Panasonic 1003 ghost. it is black and dosnt stand out when it is off, they have it on ebay also for $198. Will this be a flush mount like the factory?

Thanks alot for your help,,, If anything i want to get the best sounding system without using a sub.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

If the GTI's depth is less than 2.5 (and from what you say, it is), you're in the clear! If not, I'd just go with two sets of the JBL P-632, or if you're looking for really high quality up front (and I think you are) go with the new JBL pro components:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0&I=109P650C++

They are only 2.25 deep, and have a pure titanium tweeter. I'm running coaxials with titanium tweeters and they sing without being too sharp like ceramic or other "hard" tweeters.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

I'd have to agree with jojo on the Boston Acoustics. Their Pro series speakers are extremely good as well. They will probably be more expensive however.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

they say the are 2 3/8,,,,, and the web site says 2 11/16?

What is your idea on the panasonic head unit, it is sirius ready and is the 1003 u ghost model, I like it because it is plain jane looking when off, (all black) $198. Also are there cool antanas , and wht is a good find for the satelite reciever? I have been told that I can mount the antana inside the rear window, and the reciever box is about $150. Will any reciever box work on this radio?

If the gti's are too big for the fronts, I think I might go with the mb quarts rce216,,,,, they are on sale for $189.
Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2003, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

*cracks knuckles*

I hate to say this, but I checked Infinity Perfect 6.1 for their depth (because JBL often shares basket design) and they are also too deep. I can't seem to find any other real data on their depth. I wouldn't take that gamble though, unless you plan on doing a lot of fiddling to get them to fit right (like with an adaptor ring).

Panasonic. Never really been a huge fan, but I do like the new ghost face design. Problem is its going to get dirty fast, and stay dirty (because of your messy fingers ). It does look nice though. I really like Pioneer, and for about the same price, you could go with the new 6500 that has Evo's rally racing as one of the screen savers.

Satellite antenna's? Yep, there are some cool ones. Not sure about for Sirius, but XM has some sweet ones. If you go with the Pioneer HU, you can go with XM.

IMPORTANT: I don't think Sirius is long for this earth. Their stock is worthless, their service is more expensive, and they didn't sign with the big brands like XM did (Sony, Pioneer and Delphi Delco, the leader in OEM stereo). Terk makes the best antenna designs: one is kindofa short chubby block than can be mounted inside on the rear dash, the other is a short antenna that flips up and down.

EDIT: I take that back. The MB Quart would be great for mids and highs, but I think they'll lack some of the punch you'll want. Go with JBL or Boston.

WHEW!

/wipes sweat from brow

Last edited by purecoda; Apr 14, 2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

I am big into system set ups and I have always been a fan of Eclipse at least for quality. I have all eclipse and I've only had one blow after 4 years. Mine are all point source which is there better grade. MB Quart is a very good brand I would not advise JBL because they are mainly for home audio not car.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Ooo! Just thought of another brand. Diamond Audio. VERY good speakers. Might be hard to find, I'm gonna go snoop the 'net.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all of the imfo coda.. Im planning on having a stereo shop here install everything, so if they need to fiddle they can fiddle. They are in a upper part of town,,,, funny thing is everything they have i can get for less than half on ebay. They said $189 was there cost on the mb quarts, lol. Anyways if the jbl gti's will fit I think ill get 2 pair of those along with the ghost sirius head unit, if the fronts wont fit I will get the mb quarts pce216. If sirius does go out of business, Im sure xm will pick up their customers. This Head unit is only $198, so I dont have much to lose. So about the antana that fits in your rear window, what kind is that and also the satelite reciever box, what kind do I need and are there any differences between any of them.
Thank You all for your help!
Old Apr 14, 2003, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Terk TRK-SR20S Antenna

About 80 bucks.

CR-SRT100
2.3 GHz Mobile Digital Satellite Receiver
MSRP $159.99

I think you have to go with a Panasonic tuner for a Panasonic HU.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silvrevo
Thanks for all of the imfo coda.. Im planning on having a stereo shop here install everything, so if they need to fiddle they can fiddle. They are in a upper part of town,,,, funny thing is everything they have i can get for less than half on ebay. They said $189 was there cost on the mb quarts, lol. Anyways if the jbl gti's will fit I think ill get 2 pair of those along with the ghost sirius head unit, if the fronts wont fit I will get the mb quarts pce216. If sirius does go out of business, Im sure xm will pick up their customers. This Head unit is only $198, so I dont have much to lose. So about the antana that fits in your rear window, what kind is that and also the satelite reciever box, what kind do I need and are there any differences between any of them.
Thank You all for your help!
The MB Quart PSD 216 components fit perfect in the stock location, and the tweeter hides nicely in the stock tweeter location. I have this set-up, with the Qaurt coax's in the back and it sounds KiLLeR with a JL Audio 500.5 amp!

P.S. The PCE 216's are the component/coaxial version (can be used either way). The PCE's may be expensive to be used for only rear fill, however ... that's why I opted for the less expensive MB Qaurt dedicated coaxials for rear fill .... can be had for $100 ... retail for $200 or so and it does the job nicely.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Ok guys I just orderd from ebay, here is what I finally got.
MB Quart rce 216 componets,, $209
MBQuart rkc 116 coaxial,,,$143
Panasonic ghosthr1003u sirius cd deck with remote,,,$216.

Im adding a 50x4 memphis amp

All will be installed in a aboout 10 days.

These prices were including shipping!!!!! EBAY simply rocks.
Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds sweet to me!

Don't forget the most important part... THE PICS! Even some of the install would be great.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by evo1

The MB Quart PSD 216 components fit perfect in the stock location, and the tweeter hides nicely in the stock tweeter location. I have this set-up, with the Qaurt coax's in the back and it sounds KiLLeR with a JL Audio 500.5 amp!

P.S. The PCE 216's are the component/coaxial version (can be used either way). The PCE's may be expensive to be used for only rear fill, however ... that's why I opted for the less expensive MB Qaurt dedicated coaxials for rear fill .... can be had for $100 ... retail for $200 or so and it does the job nicely.
Anyone have any info on who may be selling those MB Quart PCE 216's ??? Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Anyone have any info on who may be selling those MB Quart PCE 216's ??? Thanks
Go here website
http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/dealers/
and check out the authorized dealer list for your area. If you buy them on-line ... they most likely will NOT be covered under warranty, as most of these high end audio companies do this to protect their authorized dealer outlets, etc. I believe the PCE 216's (coaxial/component speakers) are brand new and have not been shipping to retail stores yet ... however, the PSE 216 (components for front) are available, and really ... all you need to a good coaxial for the back (rear fill).

In other words, the PCE 216's are a Premium line MB Qaurt speaker and are probably overkill for rear fill unless you are going to compete ... they also retail at over $400. Take a look at Boston RM6's or any coaxial speaker from a reputable company ... good rear fill qaulity can be had for $100 or so. I bought the coax Qaurts ... not sure the model # but I'll let you know when I pic them up Saturday. Got them for $100.

Last edited by evo1; Apr 15, 2003 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 6.5 Speakers for the Evo8