Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

6.5 Speakers for the Evo8

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2003, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.5 Speakers for the Evo8

Ok I have decided to replace the factory speakers. I wanst going to get an amp until I seen the Mephpis Mc2004, it is a digital amp that puts out 50x4- 2ohm is 75x4. It is only 11 inches long and 2 inches high, fits pertfect under passenger seat. Its one that a high end stereo shop here just started carring, so I trust them.

I have always wanted MB Quart speakers, and can get componnent Reference from ebay for $189. they are usually $400. My question is do these speakers give you punch power, are they nice and loud, or do they just sound nice.

Another choice is the JBL c608gti , they are $299 on ebay and are usually $600. I heard the gto's in a store and they sounded very powerful? These speakers on ebay are new in box , never opened and are the new models. Plus the guy has a 5000 point good credit rating.

Im going with 4 6.5" , with componets up front , and maybe in the rear too, beacause I can get a good deal on them.

Also I have looked at the Alpine R series.......

What are some of your ideas on which speaker will not only sound great, but give some punch and power , WITHOUT A SUB.
Also Im keeping my head unit to keep the looks stock, so no little focker will break into my ride. It s happend 6 times before!

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 13, 2003, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone mounted the Infinity Kappas in their evo yet? just wondering how they mount & sound etc...
Old Apr 13, 2003, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jemm
Has anyone mounted the Infinity Kappas in their evo yet? just wondering how they mount & sound etc...
I dont know anyone with Kappas in an Evo, but my friend has htem in his lancer... they are pretyyy clean.. sounds real good
Old Apr 13, 2003, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

silvrevo,

The Quarts are the best speakers for the money. I stepped up tp the Premiums instead of Reference series. Better crossovers and bigger tweeter.

The evo is surprisingly very acoustical. I would not do components in rear, go with coaxials. MB Quart offers two series.

FYI, If you are looking for accurate sound, you will need a sub. High end components were designed to be used with subwoofers, not stand alones. If you are sold on the idea of no sub, buy a lower series of speaker designed to replace stocks.

Note: The MB Quarts are very bright. Some say they are tinnish. You may want to set the crossover @ -3dB. Try it, then adjust.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 05:02 PM

I am considering polk momo or the alpine r, both are very deep. Has anyone pulled out their front speakers to see if there is enough room up there for them?
Old Apr 13, 2003, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Does the Evo 8 have separate mounts for tweeters? and if so where?
thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Quart Q series 6.5" 2 way set up - but its still in the box - can't wait to see how they sound
Old Apr 13, 2003, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Ok basically im looking for a good sounding 6.5 that can have more punch and drive.
Has anyone heard the JBL gti series? They sounded really good in the store.
So maybe more help in this direction,,,,, Someone here said the Apline R series has really good bass,,,,,That kind of what im lookin towards......Do The MB Quarts have good, rich bass response?

Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard of them, and frankly, those are the ones I'd go with. They will sound AMAZING amped, as they should be run. JBL is a subsidiary (along with Infinity Systems) of Harmon Kardon, a manufacturer of top quality audio products. JBL is especially known especially for their life-like and powerful monitors and venue speakers (in everything from clubs to church's). At the price you said you could get them for online, that would be a steal.

Personally, Alpine speakers (with the exception of their subs) have never impressed me, especially for their price. MB Quart are very good speakers as well, but I honestly haven't had any experience with them, other than what I've heard.

On a side note (a little pointless info): JBL stands for James B Lansing, the founder of JBL. Altec Lansing computer speakers are basically JBL speakers (same founder) and as JBL has released their own free standing computer speakers, you can easily see identical components between the 2 brands.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

So would it be ok to have components in the back and front , or is it better to have fixed two ways in the rear? Why would you not want to run components all the way around?
Old Apr 14, 2003, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Boston Pro 6.5 separates in the front and the boston coaxials in the rear. I will be getting a sub soon because it will make it much better after I cut out the bass to the coaxials. I seem to be overdriving them as I turn up the volume. Btw, I am using Alpine CDA-9813 head unit with it.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

There's nothing wrong with running components in the rear deck, as long as you set them up right. Because the speakers are firing straight up the sound you hear is mostly reflected off the rear window. This actually is quite good in giving you a more realistic sound reproduction (note: Bose research found that the ratio of "realistic sound" is a reflected to direct ratio of 9:1). Because of this, your high end tweeters might loose a bit of their clarity and purpose, and you could just save yourself the money and go with some really nice coaxials. JBL Power series gives you the option to run the speakers as coaxials OR components. You might want to check those out. Hope this helped.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Ya I am looking at the same issues. I was wondering what fits correctly.
Crutchfield says these.

Infinity Kappa 652.5i 6-3/4" 2-way Speakers

Or do these

Infinity Kappa 63.5i 3-Way Speaker
Infinity Kappa 62.5i 2-Way Speaker.

What should I put in the front speakers, and what should go in the back. also should the stock tweeters be replaced, and are these excellent speakers or should i be looking at something different.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

OK. So here's my findings.

First of all the GTI components don't look like they'd fit to me, because the woofer mounting depth is too deep. You could always try to mod, but that can get complicated. They've come out with new Power speakers, that don't convert, but I found sites that still sold the 2002 model for really great prices.
www.ikesound.com Never ordered from there, but its only $70.
www.etronics.com Great company, a bit more at $77, but they should have cheap shipping. Go to www.pricegrabber.com, search for P-632, and type in your zip code. Crutchfield also has em for $80, but they don't have the P-kit anymore.

Now, to convert the Power speakers to components, you need the P-Kit.
www.vectoraudio.com Has it for fifty-something bucks. It might be hard to comeby (aka in stock anymore) so I searched ebay and found this: Ends in 3 days, brand new, only 40 bucks. Very nice if you ask me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14943
Also by the same seller, the speakers p-632, only $65.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18799
Maybe he'll cut you a deal on shipping?

So that's what I got man. I'd go with the JBL's, because they are known for their high quality, and this will give you more flexibilty, and better bass response from the larger woofer design. Good luck with everything, let me know how it goes and POST PICS!

Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

One more thing. These are 6.5 speakers, and Lancer's take 6.75, so you will need to probably use the mounting tabs or some other kind of adaptor. Same thing with Infinity speakers. They fit fine, ask Hobie, I think he's got em.

Quick Reply: 6.5 Speakers for the Evo8