Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I the only guy with a bad IX?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah... seems like there are rednecks in Japan that work for Mitsubishi.

I also noticed that my O2 sensor was cross threaded into my stock cat. It was a beotch to remove.... and was an even bigger beotch to install into my cat delete pipe. Hmmmm?
Old May 8, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't be a pansey. Fix the oil leak. Go to autozone, buy some UV oil dye. Use a black light and it will detect where all the leaks are coming from. Most likely it is something very simple and should only take a few minutes to fix.
Old May 8, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

The service guy told me to just get some JB weld on there. No really, he did. (I'm a helicopter pilot and he used to be a crew chief so we get along alright)

It shouldn't be a big deal hopefully. It just makes you wonder about things when you see an engine that's been around since the 80's and it shows you problems before 3k miles.

You call me a pansy again and I'll kill ya.

Old May 8, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Have you tried talking with any of the Local EVO guys? There is a plethora of knowledge on EVo's in this area? The dealer you are talking about (Peete Moore I am assuming) is not very good about fixing issues (at least in my experience). Try pming bpclements or w_tomas and see if they can look at it for you.
Old May 8, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05WhiteEVO8
Have you tried talking with any of the Local EVO guys? There is a plethora of knowledge on EVo's in this area? The dealer you are talking about (Peete Moore I am assuming) is not very good about fixing issues (at least in my experience). Try pming bpclements or w_tomas and see if they can look at it for you.
Yeah, I was supposed to meet a bunch of you guys this last weekend. My buddy Whalen was going to introduce me to you guys (he drives a pretty modded black 03 that looks exactly like Chris's AMS evo). He had to drive out of town unexpectedly so I didn't get to meet some of the guys. I think that he was talking about meeting up at Riaz's house or something... I don't know for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing Chris's car... imagine that... who doesn't want to see the 1000hp Evo?

I'm about to complete my helicopter training in two weeks so I'll be leaving this state soon.
Old May 8, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck with the oil leak man, I'm sure it is something silly. 1000hp+AWD=lots of broken trannies
Old May 8, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Sometimes you get that 1 bad new car out of the production line.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

LOL.... The service guy told you that? The dealer should fix that for you under warranty with out a problem. If the dealers playing games call mitsubishi direct and talk to them.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

He was joking around with me. They are going to fix it under warranty as soon as the parts get in... all of two crush washers. I hope it works. I'll let you guys know.

Till then... duct tape time baby!
Old May 11, 2006, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Update:

I had the dealership replace a couple of crush washers for one of the oil feed lines. I drove the car home, wash it up, and check underneath. It's leaking worse now than before! Oil is absolutely all over the place on the aft portion of the motor. Burned oil is caked all over my downpipe, cat delete, control arms, drive shaft, etc. etc. What the hell?

What's with this lemon law thing? This doesn't seem like a huge deal (i.e. it's only one single fault) so, what am I to do? I haven't hit 3,000 miles on the car yet and I've already added half a quart of oil because of it's awesome ability to loose oil. It's not oil consumption... it's oil dumption... all over the ground and my hot as hell downpipe. The smell is awesome at stoplights. I smell like an old truck.
Old May 11, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
Update:

I had the dealership replace a couple of crush washers for one of the oil feed lines. I drove the car home, wash it up, and check underneath. It's leaking worse now than before! Oil is absolutely all over the place on the aft portion of the motor. Burned oil is caked all over my downpipe, cat delete, control arms, drive shaft, etc. etc. What the hell?

What's with this lemon law thing? This doesn't seem like a huge deal (i.e. it's only one single fault) so, what am I to do? I haven't hit 3,000 miles on the car yet and I've already added half a quart of oil because of it's awesome ability to loose oil. It's not oil consumption... it's oil dumption... all over the ground and my hot as hell downpipe. The smell is awesome at stoplights. I smell like an old truck.
don't sweet it, be smart about it, document everything dates, names, phonecalls,etc. treat this like you were preparing to go to court. next time you take it to dealer you tell them you can't drive this car because oil burning fumes are making you nauseous. also,tell them you made an appointment with your physcian to start treating you for your headaches.
Old May 11, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Your headgasket it leaking, not the oil feed lines
Old May 11, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

does anyone with a brand new IX have a rusty exhaust manifold? The manifold around where it connects to the motor looks all rusted out.
Old May 11, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

All should rust. I believe they are made of iron mang.

Joking right?
Old May 11, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PANGES
does anyone with a brand new IX have a rusty exhaust manifold? The manifold around where it connects to the motor looks all rusted out.
Its the water from the car wash when you wash your car wash, it leak from the hood scoop and left the rust spot on there when it burns off.

I uasually place an towel over the manifold to catch the water when washing my EVO.

Quick Reply: Am I the only guy with a bad IX?