Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I the only guy with a bad IX?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahh, gotcha
Old May 11, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

just a heads up that i saw a bulletin come thru the dealership about oil problems and that the salesman is to inform you that you have to check the oil at evry fill of gas at the time of sale. they are trying to make it so they dont have to fix this from the sounds of the bulletin. trying to blame it on user neglegince
Old May 12, 2006, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

you being the only bad 9 is a good thing for other 9 owners.... sucks that you got the bad car or the 9's. Like said above document everything, even calls to the dealership.
Old May 12, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 501
just a heads up that i saw a bulletin come thru the dealership about oil problems and that the salesman is to inform you that you have to check the oil at evry fill of gas at the time of sale. they are trying to make it so they dont have to fix this from the sounds of the bulletin. trying to blame it on user neglegince
Can you get a copy...
Old May 21, 2006, 01:53 PM

another IX with oil leak

My IX has 3600 miles.
First oil leak spotted at 1100 miles. Took it to dealer; he said he ran it on lift for 45 minutes with no leak found. Claimed the oil was spilled during oil change. Since I watched when the oil was changed and we found the leak before adding oil I know this was not the case.

At 1800 miles smelled burning when my wife pulled into the garage and was cooling the turbo. Found pooling of oil by looking down the passenger side of the radiator. Took it in had it fixed. Dealer said it was a loose oil cooler line. Appears to be fixed.

Changed oil at 3500 miles saw the same oil leak noticed at 1100 miles. This one is really slow. It appears to be travelling down the oil cooler line to the filter from above. I guess it goes back to the dealer. I will let you know how this works out.

Other failures;
1 - turbo boost gage @ 172 miles; vacuum line pinched, fixed.
2 - lost clamp on air intake feeding turbo; this one was interesting, lots of black smoke and no revs (power) until replaced. Following this incident I have been getting CEL with code 420.

Last edited by MooneyDriver; May 21, 2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old May 21, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

On Friday, 19 May, they fixed my IX's leaky problem. Turns out that the oil feed line that I was talking about was the oil line to the MIVEC system. That banjo bolt was in fact the problem. The crush washers were replaced, but the damn thing kept leaking. So, another senior mechanic found that the spot where the banjo bolt screws in was the problem.... something about there being another bolt that the banjo screws into that needed tightening. I'm not exactly sure.

Unfortunately, the timing belt got saturated with oil in the process... which required replacing and now I have a cam position error code because it seems that the mechanic put it on a little off. I dunno... I don't want to take it to the Mitsubishi mechanics again. When they try to fix one thing, they mess up another. It never fails.

Last edited by Mmelmann; May 21, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 21, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mmelmann
On Friday, 19 May, I they fixed my IX's leaky problem. Turns out that the oil feed line that I was talking about was the oil line to the MIVEC system. That banjo bolt was in fact the problem. The crush washers were replaced, but the damn thing kept leaking. So, another senior mechanic found that the spot where the banjo bolt screws in was the problem.... something about there being another bolt that the banjo screws into that needed tightening. I'm not exactly sure.

Unfortunately, the timing belt got saturated with oil in the process... which required replacing and now I have a cam position error code because it seems that the mechanic put it on a little off. I dunno... I don't want to take it to the Mitsubishi mechanics again. When they try to fix one thing, they mess up another. It never fails.
Nice to hear u got it fixed
Old May 21, 2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
I dunno... I don't want to take it to the Mitsubishi mechanics again. When they try to fix one thing, they mess up another. It never fails.
It's sucks to feel that way, but hey, this is why you got a warranty
Old May 21, 2006, 08:20 PM

How many miles were on your EVO's when you bought them new? Maybe they were "test driven" (read: ABUSED) and things like seals and rings didn't get a chance to properly settle and is getting worse as you accumulate miles. This concern is why I will not buy a new car with more than 5 miles on the odometer. Even then I'm a little iffy, but hey, if you're going to spend a good amount of your hard earned duckets on it you want to make sure that for the most part you are getting a car that has not been beat up by the sales people and test drivers.
Old May 21, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike_jones
How many miles were on your EVO's when you bought them new? Maybe they were "test driven" (read: ABUSED) and things like seals and rings didn't get a chance to properly settle and is getting worse as you accumulate miles.
There were like 30 miles on it. The Evo IX MR on the lot has sat there for a while out front. They have put many miles of "test driving" on it's clock. There is no problem with oil consumption. The oil loss was due to "oil dumption" all over the engine due to a bad seal on the MIVEC's oil supply line. I found out that it was manufactured by the NASCAR loving Japanese guy with a mullet, remember.
Old May 23, 2006, 06:15 PM

Mine had 4.5 miles and I followed the break in religiously.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:47 PM

Smile

Good news, brought the car into Key Mitsubishi in Wallingford, CT and they diagnosed the oil leak. Well I told them it was power steering fluid and they have a new pump on order.

So if this fix next week goes ok I will have two reasons to recommend their service department.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

So being that there was no update on this situation, I should assume that the ps pump fix did the trick?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:56 PM

ya

Last edited by evo9guy; Oct 26, 2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:57 PM

i have the worst evo IX i have gone through 2 sets of 5th gear syncros, waiting to ge tthe car back with the set, and the 4th went with the 5th gear this time also( 3, 5th gear, and 1 4th gear) . along with the rear brake caliper seizing and destroying the caliper and roter... other than that its running good. i change diff, and oil every 3000 miles, and have changed tranny fluid two times the syncros have been changed... i have 20k on it, i think mine is the worst on this website

Quick Reply: Am I the only guy with a bad IX?