Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I the only guy with a bad IX?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only guy with a bad IX?

Seriously. My IX is brand new and it is leaking oil all over the place. It seems like it was put together by a Ford guy. I may have both a bad seal on one of the oil feed lines on the back side of the block and I may have a bad gasket between the block and the head. The thing doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it and it looks like I've had it for over 80,000 miles by the looks of the oily crap on the motor (and everything below it).

Please tell me that there is somebody else out there who's IX is like mine.... actually that would be a bad thing. I'm just hoping that the dealership can fix it without screwing up something else in the process of working on it. (Been there... done that)
Old May 7, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
Seriously. My IX is brand new and it is leaking oil all over the place. It seems like it was put together by a Ford guy. I may have both a bad seal on one of the oil feed lines on the back side of the block and I may have a bad gasket between the block and the head. The thing doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it and it looks like I've had it for over 80,000 miles by the looks of the oily crap on the motor (and everything below it).

Please tell me that there is somebody else out there who's IX is like mine.... actually that would be a bad thing. I'm just hoping that the dealership can fix it without screwing up something else in the process of working on it. (Been there... done that)
wow sorry to hear of your misfortunes.... i hope when i get mine in JUNE/JULY that everything is ok.... i would be sooooooooooooo disapointed
Old May 7, 2006, 09:06 PM
Account Disabled

Document everything. If the dealership is still spinning their wheels 6 months from now the documentation you accumulate now could enable you to file a lemon law claim.
Old May 7, 2006, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

+1
Old May 7, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry dude, that sucks big time. Listin to Turd and hope that it's not a lemon.
Old May 7, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, my friend --- you're the first (to my knowledge). Best of luck with the warranty work!
Old May 7, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem in my IX MR, The Oil is leaking from somewhere behind the block or head. It will only leak when the engine is cold, I figured that much out. The oil pressure on the evos motor cold runs extremely high, 40psi at idle and over 120 psi at 4000 rpm. It takes about 15-20 minutes of driving to get the oil temp up to 180 where the pressure drops below 100psi at 4000rpm. I still cant figure out where it is coming from. It does not leak really bad but I cant stand the oily film. I have been monitoring my Defi gauges very closely in the morning when I first start my car, keeping the oil pressure below 100psi. Seems to be working. I have not worried about fixing it because I am going to be pulling the motor out anyways here very soon.
Old May 7, 2006, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

this oil leak is pretty common, i have it on my VIII........ Chances are your compression is good, no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil, it's simply an annoyance!
Old May 8, 2006, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

The only oil that leaks on my car is the residue after a oil change other wise not a spot anywhere on the driveway or engine.
Old May 8, 2006, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

so sorry for ur guys' oil leak problem...i know what it's like, cuz my mr2 turbo gave me hell with oil leaks (distributor, oil pan seals, head gasket (major pita)).....

i drive a IX as well that was bought about 3 weeks ago...and with 3000 miles on her everything's absolutely perfect...

hope u guys resolve ur issues asap. i hate driving a fun car whilte having to put up with the down time...
Old May 8, 2006, 01:49 AM
Evolved Member

i had the same problemt with my evo 8, where it would leak from the back side of the valve cover so bad that you would see oil puddles on the head. i bought a new valve cover gasket, and i used copper spray with copper gasket maker around the edges, and i havent seen a film of oil yet.
Old May 8, 2006, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

bought mine new, just turned 10k miles. 300 hp to the wheels.. 12.5 @ 109.

not one single problem. i don't know what to say. perhaps i got lucky on mine?
Old May 8, 2006, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

No worries...do you see oil on the pan, on the oil filter...pooling in the undertray? Mine had a bad oil pump seal at 1200 miles MOD-FREE. Mitsu took care of it and I am happy. No worries there....it is annoying as hell. Good luck bro.

kris
Old May 8, 2006, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

The oil leak seems to come from an oil feed hard line just above the alternator mounting bracket. There are two copper or brass washers on each side of the banjo bolt that may be defective or over-torqued. That's the main leak and it splatters oil all over the place because as oil runs from the banjo bolt and travels down that hard line... it drips intermittently at random spots.

Therefore, I get a good friggin oily film all over the back of the block underneath the intake manifold. It kind of made it hard to find the leak initially. Hopefully that's the only problem spot... not a bad gasket here or there.

I just thought that it's interesting that a brand new EvoIX with an old proven motor would have a flaw right off the bat. I also noticed that my buddy's Evo VIII doesn't have the same configuration as mine (pertaining to the oil feed lines, alternator mounting bracket, etc.) If you really look at the two motors back to back you'll see that the changes are interesting. From the looks of this... change is not a good thing.
Old May 8, 2006, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No your not the only one, my friend has a brand new IX, leaked all the oil out and the motor went boom!!!!! Has to get a new whole motor, but its getting it under warranty due to bad factory assembly

Quick Reply: Am I the only guy with a bad IX?