Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me make the JUMP!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive that evo for a few weeks and you will not look back.It's about the package and the limits are higher...
Old May 9, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Evo.

Handles MUCH better. Way cheaper to mod, just more useable.

I sold my 450+ HP 97 GSX to get the evo. Though I miss the power of the GSX at times, it's the best choice I made. Plus in time the Evo will have more then the GSX id and still be more reliable.
Old May 9, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

keep the vr4 and buy the 9. Why not have the best of both worlds!
Old May 9, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
A 3000 GT VR4 is not a "first highschool car". I believe your thinking of the SL model or the base model. Even now VR4's are uber expensive considering their age. That being said twin turbo all wheel drive with a six speed getrag tranny is pretty damn sweet. I owned a 3gt before and high end I dont think a stock evo will be able to catch up. However in the twisties the 3GT will be lost.
$10k is the exact price range associated with a first car for a highschool kid in my mind. Weird, how much is a '93 VR4?

Let me brake you justifications down for this not being a perfect example of this being a "first car". Twin turbo has been proven ineffecient with the introduction of new turbo technology, having 2 turbos is in no way superior to having 1 turbo at this point in time. Therefore, it pisses me off when people are like, "oh it's TWIN turbo" I'm like, "good thing there isn't one benefit to having 2 turbos over 1." The only excuse for a modern car to have more then 1 turbo is if the engine is so big that 1 manifold can't cover it. And don't even pretend like AWD is a huge performance benchmark, TONS of cars come standard now with AWD, and AWD is safer for a 16 year old to drive then any other drivetrain. Let me go to any local highschool and count all the 20v turbo A4's in the parking lot, PAlease. And who cares about 6 speeds, even if it did have one. My Evo isn't 6 speed, so is it a lower end car then a 3000gt vr4? Common.

I understand it is a decent car, but if you have the chance to upgrade, DO IT.
Old May 9, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

^ sounds like you have never been in a modded 3000gt
Old May 9, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Since you have the 93, dump that hog! I am a big fan of the VR4, and it was my "dream car", 97-99 model until the evo came out in the U.S. But the one you have is an antique in a bad way. Not even very attractive looking. You will love the decision of getting an evo! If you are patient, you can probably get a good deal on selling that over weight slug you have.
Old May 9, 2006, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

and God bless those transfer cases.........
Old May 9, 2006, 10:39 AM

Well when yall put it this way it seems like a no brainer, even given the bias it stills seems perfect. Are there many defects to the EVO? Week points?
Old May 9, 2006, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo#1
^ sounds like you have never been in a modded 3000gt
True, but i have driven other twin turbo 6 speed AWD cars that are faster then my Evo, and have not been impressed. (S4)

Which BTW is much better looking then any 3000gt.

Anyway, i'm not going to lie, i was looking at a 3000gt vr4 as a serious option for my first car, but i just couldn't get over the hideous looks.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey a VR4 is a serious car. I dont know why people are disrespecting it here...but for the mid 90s it was a beast. That said, I think the Evo is a better car
Old May 9, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Karash
Hey a VR4 is a serious car. I dont know why people are disrespecting it here...but for the mid 90s it was a beast. That said, I think the Evo is a better car
Actually, well put. Simple, but exactly what i was getting at.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I owned a VR4 and I hated working on them. I also would like to say that the evo is much nicer, and would be worth the switch in every way.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodrifter
I owned a VR4 and I hated working on them. I also would like to say that the evo is much nicer, and would be worth the switch in every way.
If it has less room in the engine bay then an Evo i would be surprised. Try getting at your master clutch cylinder and get back to me.
Old May 9, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Stroked_VR4
Well when yall put it this way it seems like a no brainer, even given the bias it stills seems perfect. Are there many defects to the EVO? Week points?
Transfer case... Can be a huge problem, and I hear strict clutch break in policies have to be followed, or you can get issues down the road. Oh, and as far as the warranty goes... if you so much as THINK about going to a website to LOOK at mods mitsubishi will void your warranty. haha. It's still an amazing car though, gas is hurting me right now though. What's the mpg estimate on your car?
Old May 9, 2006, 03:00 PM

wow,

lots of VR4 dissing going on here. i can understand the points, i had three VR4s (still have one) and have had an evo for about a year now. yes the VR4s are super heavy, but you can get them light without too much work...many people on 3si are in the 3300 range. the twin turbos are super tiny but spool up like nobody's business, so the advantage of having two turbos over one is spool time. as for looks, everyone has an opinion. i personally thing the 99VR4 is one of the nicest looking cars out there. anyone can do a 99 conversion, and i would trade my evo in a second for a real 99 VR4 (w/same miles). the VR4s were meant to be grand touring cars, and have lots of other options that the evos dont have, like the power seats, auto climate, active exhaust, active suspension, active aero, and the list goes on. that being said, i love my evo and would definetely suggest upgrading. i dont like the looks as much, but the reliability and nibleness more than make up for it.