Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me make the JUMP!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azredevo
Transfer case... Can be a huge problem, and I hear strict clutch break in policies have to be followed, or you can get issues down the road. Oh, and as far as the warranty goes... if you so much as THINK about going to a website to LOOK at mods mitsubishi will void your warranty. haha. It's still an amazing car though, gas is hurting me right now though. What's the mpg estimate on your car?
Going from a vr4 to an evo has to net him better mileage. For you, I would recommend doing the lightened right foot mod to save your gas mileage.
Old May 9, 2006, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

"make the jump" Are we in pre-k?

If you can handle the additional expensives that come with the car and want something better then buy it if not stick to your vr-4....
Old May 10, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Come on man, do you really need us to help you with this. Your fellow 3si are telling you to keep a 93 VR4 over a brand new EVO IX, seriously as long as you can afford the EVO it shouldn't even be a question in your mind. All due respect to the 3000GT VR4, a great car, I've owned two in the past, and wouldn't mind a third, but the EVO as far as performance is a superior car.
Old May 10, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo#1
^ sounds like you have never been in a modded 3000gt
I've have, I've owned two of them both modded and I'd take my stock EVO anyday over both of them. Geez, you act as if a modded EVO is a slouch, WT Stage mods would be less than $1,500 and a IX can run very low 12s@110mph+. Now not knocking the VR4, a great *** car, but the EVO, especially the IX is head and shoulders the better performance car. Somebody said why not keep the VR4 and get the EVO, that wouldn't be a bad idea, if you could afford it.

Last edited by 3000ways; May 10, 2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old May 10, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo#1
Go test drive one!
That's the best advice that I could give. Don't let us make up your mind for you, go test drive one and see how it feels. Personally, I say go for a IX
Old May 10, 2006, 12:37 PM

It's quite the upgrade, i'm not sure why you would concider keeping a "Highschool, first car" type car, over an upgrade to a more sophisticated driving machine.

Unless you have extensively modded it to the point of keeping it forever as a garage queen and track monster, i don't see the justification. And even if you did, i'm sure an Evo IX will perform better stock, on the track and on the street.

+ I think they are ugly cars..
vr-4 is a very great and mod friendly car. Its does have a 6 speed and all wheel drive drive but it also has all wheel steering. believe me that thing handles like a beast.

also the the vr-4 cost around 40K brand new with 320hp and 315 tq. I dont see how a vr-4 is a first car for a high schooler at that price and power.
Old May 10, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

i used to want a vr-4 so bad in highschool, not as much as an rx-7 though, especially when the later models came out. i think they are great cars but cant really compare to the evo as they arent the same type of car other than being awd and turbo. i say if you can afford the evo without getting rid of the vr4 keep it. if you cant, then trade it or sell it.

and to all the people mentioning reliability. reliability would be the last thing i would associate with any mitsu car. you want reliability get a toyota.
Old May 10, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

i can't believe nobody has asked the obvious question yet?

can you really afford the evo? and the "living at my means" afford, i mean being able to comfortably afford the payments, insurance and maintenance of it, as well as your craving for mods, all the while being able to stay on top of all your other bills with a healthy amount left over for savings and other enjoyable things in life (vacations, going out, traveling, decent clothes, charity, etc).

i'd start there. if you can answer that "yes" without hesitating, then yes, without a doubt, get the evo.
Old May 10, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by purecoda
i can't believe nobody has asked the obvious question yet?

can you really afford the evo? and the "living at my means" afford, i mean being able to comfortably afford the payments, insurance and maintenance of it, as well as your craving for mods, all the while being able to stay on top of all your other bills with a healthy amount left over for savings and other enjoyable things in life (vacations, going out, traveling, decent clothes, charity, etc).

i'd start there. if you can answer that "yes" without hesitating, then yes, without a doubt, get the evo.
werd. good adivce.
Old May 10, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
$10k is the exact price range associated with a first car for a highschool kid in my mind. Weird, how much is a '93 VR4?

Let me brake you justifications down for this not being a perfect example of this being a "first car". Twin turbo has been proven ineffecient with the introduction of new turbo technology, having 2 turbos is in no way superior to having 1 turbo at this point in time. Therefore, it pisses me off when people are like, "oh it's TWIN turbo" I'm like, "good thing there isn't one benefit to having 2 turbos over 1." The only excuse for a modern car to have more then 1 turbo is if the engine is so big that 1 manifold can't cover it. And don't even pretend like AWD is a huge performance benchmark, TONS of cars come standard now with AWD, and AWD is safer for a 16 year old to drive then any other drivetrain. Let me go to any local highschool and count all the 20v turbo A4's in the parking lot, PAlease. And who cares about 6 speeds, even if it did have one. My Evo isn't 6 speed, so is it a lower end car then a 3000gt vr4? Common.

I understand it is a decent car, but if you have the chance to upgrade, DO IT.

Take a class at college level in thermodynamics and/or heat & mass transfer and your speak about two turbos being worthless would not be the same. If your going to get on your soap box, please research the topic.
Old May 10, 2006, 01:21 PM

Anyway, i'm not going to lie, i was looking at a 3000gt vr4 as a serious option for my first car, but i just couldn't get over the hideous looks.
Weird. You think Evo looks better than 3000GT? Personally I think Evos are somewhat ugly compared to the 90s japanese muscle cars (supra, rx7, 300zx, 3000GT). But each to his own.

I used to own a 91 Z32TT before the Evo and I think it was a much better looking car than my Evo. Of course the Evo kills it in terms of practicality, performance (Z32s are not exactly light weight either), and ease of modding.

If it has less room in the engine bay then an Evo i would be surprised. Try getting at your master clutch cylinder and get back to me.
Dunno about a 3000GT, but my Z32's engine bay is definitely more cramped than Evo's. Heck, it's not uncommon for a Nissan dealer to quote a 10-12 hours of labor to replace the clutch on a Z32.
Old May 10, 2006, 01:42 PM

Here's a solution that I will probably get killed for:

2006 WRX STI.

I chose it over an EVO IX for looks and because it gave me a better overall feel.

Nonetheless the EVO is fantastic, especially that new MIVEC.

I would seriously suggest test driving both the STI and EVO back to back, and don't listen to people who just blatently say one car is better than the other.

Both cars have similar performance numbers and it just comes down to preference.

Although i do love me some EVO seats.

Ok, now let the killing begin.
Old May 10, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Take a class at college level in thermodynamics and/or heat & mass transfer and your speak about two turbos being worthless would not be the same. If your going to get on your soap box, please research the topic.
When running a twin turbo setup you can help eliminate some of the turbo lag experience by big turbos, especially because you can tune the smaller turbo for lower band performance and the bigger turbo for higher flows at higher rpms.

On a side note though, today's single turbo setups are better than the twin turbo setups from the early ninties.

If anyone else thinks that twin turbos is just for show, then have a look at the Quad turbo W16 Bugatti Veyron from Volkswagen.
Old May 10, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

make the "jump" just based on the Evo's much superior handling over the vr4.

good luck
Old May 10, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StiChiara
Here's a solution that I will probably get killed for:

2006 WRX STI.

I chose it over an EVO IX for looks and because it gave me a better overall feel.

Nonetheless the EVO is fantastic, especially that new MIVEC.

I would seriously suggest test driving both the STI and EVO back to back, and don't listen to people who just blatently say one car is better than the other.

Both cars have similar performance numbers and it just comes down to preference.

Although i do love me some EVO seats.

Ok, now let the killing begin.
The major gripe I had with the STi was the seats. My friend has one and it was very uncomfortable to ride in, mostly in the mid back support. He ended up getting the JDM STi seats shortly after. I highly recommend them.

Ok.. one more side gripe.. the gearing is way too close for me. I'm at a loss for why Subaru had to put such tight gearing on a larger displacement engine.