Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2G Eclipse Vs. EVO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2G Eclipse Vs. EVO

I would like to know the differences between a 2g Eclipse (95-99) to an EVO.

Reason I ask, is because many 2G people believe they can make their car handle handle just as good as an EVO or better. I love my 2g alot, but I believe these are 2 totally different cars.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 2G Eclipse Vs. EVO

Originally posted by Hobbes =^.^=
I would like to know the differences between a 2g Eclipse (95-99) to an EVO.

Reason I ask, is because many 2G people believe they can make their car handle handle just as good as an EVO or better. I love my 2g alot, but I believe these are 2 totally different cars.
It's easier to find the similarities because there are too many differences between the two cars. AWD, 4G63 motor and they are both Mitsubishi's. The best way to make an Eclipse handle as well as an Evo is to sell it and buy an Evo. Any other way wouldn't be cost effective.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The DSMs lack the chassis rigidity that all Evolutions have as well as the advanced suspension geometry. Straight line a DSM could definitely be faster, in the curves it's possible, but you'd definitely have a somewhat tough time building a DSM that could handle on par with an Evo.

And that's not to knock DSMs at all of course, but I think it's a fair and realistic take on things. If a 2g outhandles an Evo, chances are it's probably due to driver skill, not because the car is better equipped.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I own a 99 GSX (for sale)
and the new EVO hands down is a much better vehicle, power is smoother / stronger. Handling is out of this world, best car I've ever driven even better then any (streetable) modded 2G I've been in. Just a whole other class of car IMHO
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:33 PM

Well, there are a lot of differences from Suspension, brakes, Engine, and Drivetrain (AWD). I Suggest you should check the tech section of go to http://www.mitsucars.com for more references.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

I have drove both a 96' TSI and a 03 Evo and the Evo just fells like a much more solid car without question. Yes you can make the Eclipse/Talon fast and handle great, but stock no question to what's better.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

I own two DSMs, heavily modified, and a bone stock '03 EVO. I feel qualified to comment. My Talon, in particular, is stiffened up well with a full 6-point chromoly rollbar welded to the body, has upgraded shocks, coil overs, swaybars, Quaife center LSD, etc., etc., etc. The EVO handles about as well as that car without any of the rough edges throwing a bunch of aftermarket parts on a DSM tends to bring along.

And that's bone stock... Consider the higher steering ratio of the EVO and I'd almost say it handles better. It's hard to give a truly fair comparison because (1) I've not taken the EVO to a road course yet and (2) the Talon has a set of V700s all around making it a little unfair. But still, to even consider the two in the same ballpark, I think, illustrates how well the EVO handles straight off the floor.

One thing I do like more with the Talon is its tendency to oversteer. The EVO will revert to understeer in a heartbeat. Kinda boring in that respect. But I'm sure a Quaife diff or two in the EVO will "fix" some of that if need be.

Thomas Dorris
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Re: 2G Eclipse Vs. EVO

Originally posted by s4awd
The best way to make an Eclipse handle as well as an Evo is to sell it and buy an Evo. Any other way wouldn't be cost effective.
It will take a while to make any of those EVOs to handle as well as the DSMs that are out there already tuned for quite some time. EVO has a great platform and has a big advantage, but don't assume that other cars cannot be stiffened enough to make it stiff enough!

As of the money goes, if you start comparing those two, you would loose pretty quickly if you stay with the EVO. 2G DSMs are between the $5k and $10k right now. Add a 16G or Big T28/28 for less then a $1k and power is already matched. To go even further use DSM Link for extra $600 or so and things would be even tougher! Nice set of shocks and springs (like Penske from ARE), RM Racing sway bars with addition of the bushings work, would be hard to match. And all of that for the 2/3 of the price of the brand new EVO. The thing is that those cars are already out there and working, while people will have to start to figuring out what is going to work for the EVO. The existence of the Japanese market will help this one a bit, but not as much as people here would wish for.

And the last thing about the superior EVO suspension. EVO has strut suspension in the front and there is not way to call that superior to the double wishbone suspension that you have in the DSM. The rear ends share similar setup with multi links on both cars. The strut suspension is better suited for the off road use, only because of the longer wheel travel that geometry allows. Once brought on the tarmac road, all of the advantage is on the DSM suspension.

So, I know that EVO is a great car and it does almost everything great. Still, there are things that you can look from the different angle and results might not be always as people would like it!!

Still , have a or on me!!!

Fedja

Last edited by MrAWD; Apr 14, 2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Re: 2G Eclipse Vs. EVO

Originally posted by MrAWD

It will take a while to make any of those EVOs to handle as well as the DSMs that are out there already tuned for quite some time. EVO has a great platform and has a big advantage, but don't assume that other cars cannot be stiffened enough to make it stiff enough!

Fedja
I don't think that stiff suspension kit on an DSM can compare to a stiffened chassis, quick steering ratio and road feel on top of a great suspension set up on the Evo.. The Evo's ability to pull .97 G's and still have a decent ride is something that no set of shocks or coilovers can do to a DSM. Then again what do I know.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I am going to have to agree with Mr AWD. (I'm partially biased )Stock for stock EVO has the 2g beat. As mentioned it does not take alot of money to make a 2g quicker and handle as well. You can pick them up used fro a very decent price....and the aftermarket stuff out there for the 2gs is tried and true and very much in abundance.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

fine.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2G Eclipse Vs. EVO

Originally posted by MrAWD

It will take a while to make any of those EVOs to handle as well as the DSMs that are out there already tuned for quite some time.

Fedja
I disagree. The evo has been out for a while. Just not in the US. There are a lot of suspension parts already available. Also, do not judge an EVO if you have not driven it. In it's stock form, it is already great car. I had the same oppinion at first until I driven car. I have a lot of respect with DSMs tunability and it's great handling. It was a perfect substitute for the EVOs and still is.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by twdorris

And that's bone stock... Consider the higher steering ratio of the EVO and I'd almost say it handles better. It's hard to give a truly fair comparison because (1) I've not taken the EVO to a road course yet and (2) the Talon has a set of V700s all around making it a little unfair. But still, to even consider the two in the same ballpark, I think, illustrates how well the EVO handles straight off the floor.

Thomas Dorris
If I can find a set of wheels to fit the Evo before the VIR weekend, we can see what they both can do!
The wheels I ordered for it wont clear the calipers, so no stickies on it yet!!!
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of that .97 on the skidpad that the Evo generates are due to the tires it comes with stock.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2G Eclipse Vs. EVO

Originally posted by s4awd
I don't think that stiff suspension kit on an DSM can compare to a stiffened chassis, quick steering ratio and road feel on top of a great suspension set up on the Evo..
I never mentioned that chassis can be stiffened with the stiffer suspension. Things like subfraime connectors are more on the line here, and there are other ways to accomlish that as well. The thing is that car doesn't have to be as stiff as a brick in order to handle well. Also, there are so many different grades of "handling well" too!

Also posted by s4awd
The Evo's ability to pull .97 G's and still have a decent ride is something that no set of shocks or coilovers can do to a DSM.
My car peaks over 1.2G (of course on Hoosiers), and I don't think I would be ashamed of the numbers with the street tires either.

On the ride side, a lot of people commented out that it is as comfortable as the stock ride! Then there are so many grades of comfort too!

And posted by s4awd
Then again what do I know.
Not sure that you need any of that either!

Fedja

Quick Reply: 2G Eclipse Vs. EVO