Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Track Day Insurance

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Track Day Insurance

So after the Pocono crash, i have been real nervous about going to the track. I went yesterday, and I was freaking out like i had just stolen the car i was driving or something; because i was so worried about what were to happen if my car got totaled, or god forbid i totaled someone elses car as well.

Anyway, the point of this is that i am wondering how/where to persue track day insurance. My current carrier doesn't provide it, and neither do many others i contacted.

I have read all other relevant information on here about it, and basicaly i understand what my current policy covers, but i need more. Sure i will do some HPDE days, and sure i will have in instructor in the car, but what about the 1/4 mile, and open lapping days? I have even heard that Auto-X's are iffy. This is my DD and i need insurance to keep attending these events.

So anyone with any information as to where people can find track day insurance please let us know, i'm sure the whole community will benefit from any information provided.
Old May 11, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to know also! I personally think that if there is any out there that it will be really expensive if not none existant. I think the insurance would give people the green light to tare up their car.
Old May 11, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aux.
I would love to know also! I personally think that if there is any out there that it will be really expensive if not none existant. I think the insurance would give people the green light to tare up their car.
Supposedly is does exist according to posts by other members in the past, but yes i'm sure it is real expensive. But paying a $10k deductable is better then paying for a $30k car for the next 4 years.
Old May 11, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.americancollectorsins.com/dequote.php

From our boy "UFO" through PM. Check it out and let me know what ya'll think.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

the mailing address ins in NJ, but the program is not available in NJ.. f'ers
Old May 11, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
http://www.americancollectorsins.com/dequote.php

From our boy "UFO" through PM. Check it out and let me know what ya'll think.
Has anyone bought this insurance or knows someone who has? I'm really curious about this as well.
Old May 11, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Has anyone bought this insurance or knows someone who has? I'm really curious about this as well.
To me it looks like a loop hole deal. We would have to go with the "Driver Ed Insurance" but then like, take 15 yr old kids in our back seats around the track haha. Someone should sift through the policy and let us know what you come up with.
Old May 11, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Most tracks have track insurance, but there are loopholes and maximums. At the local track here there is a 5K deductible!
Old May 11, 2006, 08:07 PM

I can't afford to buy another insurance.......it's too expensive already....
i just hope i won't hit any lightpole when i auto X'ing.
god bless our evo!!
Old May 12, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
Most tracks have track insurance, but there are loopholes and maximums. At the local track here there is a 5K deductible!
So in general, at a nice track they should offer track insurance?
Old May 12, 2006, 09:17 AM

I know someone on a focus site was talking about this. I'll see if I can track him down for more info. The only tracks I have ever heard of insurance for are those crazy pricey ones that have a 100K membership fee.
Old May 12, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by KOEvo
So in general, at a nice track they should offer track insurance?
No, at least I have never heard of it. Sorry, but for the majority of us, whatever happens at the track is on us. If you live in a state like New Hampshire, your auto policy will cover your car at a driver EDUCATION event. This usually means that there must be a driver in the car and there must NOT be any official competition or timing going on. I have no idea if there are other states like NH, but I know MA is not one of them.

As they say, if you can't afford to roll it off of a cliff, then it does not belong on the track. Stuff happens. Sometimes it is your fault, sometimes it isn't. Either way, sooner or later, there is a very good chance that something will go wrong. If you are not at peace with that while you are on the track, then save up for a dedicated track rat.

Worrying about the car while you are on-track is nothing but a distraction. We need to stay focused on the task at hand!
Old May 12, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you cannot afford to write off your car then you should not be on the track. End of story.

Everytime I go out I accept that if I write off the car I am going to have to drive a $1k ****ter for the next year (or maybe longer) while I get the car rebuilt.
Old May 12, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only insurance carried by the racetracks afaik is personal injury insurance NOT motor vehicle insurance.
Old May 12, 2006, 05:31 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomtown
The only insurance carried by the racetracks afaik is personal injury insurance NOT motor vehicle insurance.
In my experience that is correct. I have helped organise a track type day and an auto-x and the insurance we purchased was basically to protect us from being sued. If you read the disclaimer you sign before you race then it spells it all out pretty clearly.

Some insurance policies will cover you at a DE event but, surprisingly enough, will not cover you at an auto-x. That's because an auto-x is a timed event. Speak to your insurance agent and ask them, or look through your policy. Some insurance carriers changed their policy wording due to crashes at DE events because the policy originally specified that it did not cover racing. Seeing as a DE event isn't timed then it's legally not racing; so the policy wording changed to something like not covering accidents on a racing surface. Be warned: if you claim and win they will drop you when your policy expires! I also heard a story about some guy who enquired if his policy covered track events and they dropped him on the spot just for asking. That could be one of those internet myths though; who knows?

Quick Reply: Track Day Insurance