Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

285 wheel HP dyno sheet on my EVO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2003, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is confusing me so bad.. Does anyone want to give me a evo tuning 101 class
Old Apr 15, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe Kevin can address this issue??!?! if we ever understand his English!!! hahaha.. hei, just joking man... His is tunning with his wide band lamda meter though... it's a little weir to have a thing sticking out from your exhaust when you are drving the block hahah...

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Interesting - so basically you are adding fuel? I think you should test your car with a wideband O2 sensor - the evo runs very rich.

The emanage looks like a great soultion - - but maybe its better to wait for the AEM to come out ? - In the meantime the SAFC is a mere band aid temporary soultion - - the timing obviously needs adjustment at 5300
Old Apr 15, 2003, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TaiwanEvo
This is confusing me so bad.. Does anyone want to give me a evo tuning 101 class
Its not that hard - basic turbo car mod 101 - yields nice power gains for cheap $$$ - I am anxious to see how it reacts with the bigger fmic
Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:02 AM

Interesting - so basically you are adding fuel? I think you should test your car with a wideband O2 sensor - the evo runs very rich.

The emanage looks like a great soultion - - but maybe its better to wait for the AEM to come out ? - In the meantime the SAFC is a mere band aid temporary soultion - - the timing obviously needs adjustment at 5300
Right, from only ECU data. EVO8's fuel is very rich.
When I see ECU data only, I've guess too.
but in the case of Wing's... not rich....

I'm use MOTEC PLM on wing's EVO
First I've check the Idle fuel.
It's lamda value was 1.07(=15.7 lamda).
engine have a little vibrate.
That's why i increase little fuel for match ideal idle A/F.

"wing! try to little retard igntion on idle.
may be little down idle rpm"

We try to match fuel. drive to HWY.
but it is not same my guess, wing's EVO's lamda is not rich.
may be it's reason from HKS suction kit.

So, I've match fuel.
lamda: 0.92~0.85 (13.5~12.5) on start boost area.
and when we reach to targeted boost.
(may be 1.3~1.4bar (19psi)

I've set fuel to reach lamda, near 0.72 (10.5)

Oh~~o sad movie always make me cry~~~
Oh~~o English always make me crazy~~~

Following is standard A/F map on EVO8 ECU.
Attached Thumbnails 285 wheel HP dyno sheet on my EVO-fuel8.jpg  

Last edited by Drivemecrazy; Apr 16, 2003 at 03:11 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Drivemecrazy
Holy cow, that's good stuff. Where did this map come from? It looks very accurate from my knowledge of "standard" Mitsu 4g63 fuel maps. Almost looks like it came straight out of the ECU? The numbers on the y-axis correspond to airflow units, right?

Thomas Dorris
Old Apr 16, 2003, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Are you saying that the graph is the "Stamdard" A?F map - that most evo's have - - - and that Wing's car needed more fuel than standard - possibly due to the timing change and suction kit? If so that makes sense

BTW - my idel sucks also !

So how do you like the emanage ? Does it "hold " a tune - or can the ecu re-correct itself after you make your settings like with the S-AFC? Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

all I know is Kev did a great job and he really know the EVO inside and out... now my low end rpm spools up very quick, idles perfect, not shaking like after I install the HKS stuffs.. and the fun part is when it reach 4k rpm, it pulls up crazy to 7-8k, it's no compares to the original, I have reload the original map to compare the new map... and drive around to see the difference... all I can say it is "holly ****", Kevin really know what he is doing!!!! haha,

Wing

Are you saying that the graph is the "Stamdard" A?F map - that most evo's have - - - and that Wing's car needed more fuel than standard - possibly due to the timing change and suction kit? If so that makes sense

BTW - my idel sucks also !

So how do you like the emanage ? Does it "hold " a tune - or can the ecu re-correct itself after you make your settings like with the S-AFC? Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:47 PM

You are invited in http://www.real-engineering.com/forums/

for any futher technical questions.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

put -2 on "-60" and "-40" for ignition, idles decrrease to 800-900, perfect.... thanks Kevin!

where is my tomei cams?!?! can't wait!!

listen to Kevin's English give me headache....
just kidding!!

Originally posted by Drivemecrazy

Right, from only ECU data. EVO8's fuel is very rich.
When I see ECU data only, I've guess too.
but in the case of Wing's... not rich....

I'm use MOTEC PLM on wing's EVO
First I've check the Idle fuel.
It's lamda value was 1.07(=15.7 lamda).
engine have a little vibrate.
That's why i increase little fuel for match ideal idle A/F.

"wing! try to little retard igntion on idle.
may be little down idle rpm"

We try to match fuel. drive to HWY.
but it is not same my guess, wing's EVO's lamda is not rich.
may be it's reason from HKS suction kit.

So, I've match fuel.
lamda: 0.92~0.85 (13.5~12.5) on start boost area.
and when we reach to targeted boost.
(may be 1.3~1.4bar (19psi)

I've set fuel to reach lamda, near 0.72 (10.5)

Oh~~o sad movie always make me cry~~~
Oh~~o English always make me crazy~~~

Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Is the ideal idle lamda value should be 1=stoich?!? also means 14.7?!?! I know that when the engine don't have enough air, rich, the lamda value will be less then one and when the engine is running lean, need more fuel, the value will be more then 1. Kevin, should the lamda value be the same (=1) through out the rpm range?!?! if not, what should be the best setting?!?! such as 3-4k(lamda?) 4-5k(lamda?) so on?! anyone can help me on this ?!?! thanks..
Old Apr 16, 2003, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

this is what I found on research... hope this will help some of you guys other there... it helps me alot..

Voltage [mV] Lambda Ratio Comment
50 1.25 18:1 Lean misfire limit
100 1.07 15:1 Max. MPG point
400 1.0 14:1 Stoichiometric
870 0.9 12.6:1 Max. power point
920 0.8 11:1 Over-rich
1000 0.7 10:1 Rich misfire limit

As for the practical side of things, one should definitely stay away from readings below 100mV regardless of RPM and load, because the combustion temperatures will become very high with a risk of damage to pistons and valves. One should probably try to stay around stoichiometric (400mV) for medium loads.

For the wide-open-throttle situation, try to target a reading of somewhere around 800mV. A value of 750mV and below will make the engine more knock sensitive, and should be avoided. The point of max. power will depend on engine type and installation, figures between 760mV and 870mV has been reported.

There is definitely no point in going above that. A reading of 920mV will produce the same power as a stoichiometric mixture, but will consume 25% more fuel. Not to mention that HC and CO emissions will increase dramatically. Any reading above 900mV means a considerable drop in power output, excessive fuel consumption, and danger of carbon deposits building up in the combustion chamber.

now, Kevin, I might be stupid... but what does timing advance and retard have to do with tunning in regards to high lift cam profiles.. do you advance or retard the timing if you have 260 camshaft with say .45 lift?!?! I know that it also have to do with the gas because 93 have better compression ratio with 91 etc...so high octane = retard timing more power vs. lower octane = timing advance to prevent knock less power?!?! thanks man....

anyone?!?!

Originally posted by wing240
Is the ideal idle lamda value should be 1=stoich?!? also means 14.7?!?! I know that when the engine don't have enough air, rich, the lamda value will be less then one and when the engine is running lean, need more fuel, the value will be more then 1. Kevin, should the lamda value be the same (=1) through out the rpm range?!?! if not, what should be the best setting?!?! such as 3-4k(lamda?) 4-5k(lamda?) so on?! anyone can help me on this ?!?! thanks..

Last edited by wing240; Apr 16, 2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Fascinating
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Fred
Al,

Just for reference, how much $ did you have to invest to get those kinds of numbers?

thanks,
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evo1

The first 50 wheel HP was CHEAP - only $574 or about $10.00 per horse power - - the next 50 wheel HP will prob be a bit more costly - prob 3 - 4 x's more - - but the 50 HP after that will be a lot of loot !
Old Apr 17, 2003, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The first 50 wheel HP was CHEAP - only $574 or about $10.00 per horse power - - the next 50 wheel HP will prob be a bit more costly - prob 3 - 4 x's more - - but the 50 HP after that will be a lot of loot !
Al,

I was curious. You said the new exhaust sounds fine and looks nice. Any pics?

Also this is the muffler only. A few bolts connects this piece at the very end of the exhaust, right?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 285 wheel HP dyno sheet on my EVO