Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Help, Boost Leak & Tranny Grind

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wj4
thanks for your help, man. im having the same problem. boost drops from 21psi to 10-15 at 6-6.5k rpm. and i, too, lost both clips on the intake snorkel.
i, too, thought i had a leak, did a boost leak test, and nothing was leaking.
im on the way to lowes right now to get some self tapping screews
?? Just get 2 out of your trunk lining!
Old May 14, 2006, 03:17 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
?? Just get 2 out of your trunk lining!
lol, i would..but subs and amp wall block off the way. come on, if i couldve done it, i wouldve already
Old May 14, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

You're serious? Your trunk lining is covered around the ENTIRE TRUNK? Even on the part up against the rear of the trunk? How could you have all that covered with subs and an amp? I'd have to see pics of that to believe it...
Old May 14, 2006, 03:35 PM

WJ4, I don't know. You'd think zipties would work fine, but I've helped people with this problem many times, and on a few of them, the people had zipties, yet it still caused the same problems as having no fastening device. Regardless, it's super easy to grab 2 from the trunk (there's 10-12 back there), and they are reusable unlike zipties.
I actually had the snorkel problem about 8 months ago, and fixed after reading one of Warrtalons posts on the subject. I used zipties and the problem has not resurfaced since. Just make sure the ties are tight and secure, and it shouldnt be a problem.
Old May 14, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Was there a reason you didn't just get 2 clips from the trunk?
Old May 14, 2006, 04:55 PM

Because then you would leak boost out of your trunk liner......... Obviously.
Old May 14, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Well, RumbleN, did you do it yet? Did it work?
Old May 14, 2006, 05:10 PM

GF wasnt too happy that was I already late for mother's day at the folks house so no not yet will do when i get home a lil later, ill let you know!
Old May 14, 2006, 05:17 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

You're serious? Your trunk lining is covered around the ENTIRE TRUNK? Even on the part up against the rear of the trunk? How could you have all that covered with subs and an amp? I'd have to see pics of that to believe it...
LOL, im already short of clips in the trunk since we did the coilovers install. the amp board goes all the way across the back of the trunk and blocks off the clips behind it. the sub box goes in front of it and makes it to access the clips around it.
i had access to about 6 clip spots and a couple were missing already. i didnt mind though, i went to lowes and spent $1 for a pack of 2 replacement clips. put it on the parking lot. seems to did the job.
did several 3rd gear runs and boosting at 21psi with taper to 18psi at 6.5k rpm and the weird suction noise is now gone.
Old May 14, 2006, 05:32 PM

you know i have mixed feeling about this. on the one hand i hope that the 2 clips fix it, on the other i hope something is broken so i have an excuse to upgrade lol
Old May 14, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Glad it helped you out, wj4. I love helping people with this, because I went through it myself for a whole week, during which I did countless pressure tests and other troubleshooting methods trying to find the problem. It wasn't until a fellow MR owner asked why I didn't have the clips that I figured it out. He didn't even know that was the problem - he just casually wondered why I didn't have them. In my case, it was because I BROKE them off when I installed my MBC, since I did it at night using a streetlight for illumination and had no idea they were reusable (duh).

Rumble, I'm quite certain this will fix it, and you will be a very happy man with how smooth and powerful the car is after dealing with that crap for a while.
Old May 14, 2006, 07:47 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

Glad it helped you out, wj4. I love helping people with this, because I went through it myself for a whole week, during which I did countless pressure tests and other troubleshooting methods trying to find the problem. It wasn't until a fellow MR owner asked why I didn't have the clips that I figured it out. He didn't even know that was the problem - he just casually wondered why I didn't have them. In my case, it was because I BROKE them off when I installed my MBC, since I did it at night using a streetlight for illumination and had no idea they were reusable (duh).

Rumble, I'm quite certain this will fix it, and you will be a very happy man with how smooth and powerful the car is after dealing with that crap for a while.
yes, it had me thinking for a while too. its been about 3 weeks now. i thought this was my '2nd leak' within a month, haha. first leak i had 3 weeks ago was actually a malfunction of something that isnt due to me, i couldnt even go pass 18psi at any rpm. i found out the diaphram on my greddy rs bov went out so i put ina jdm one in its place. during the swapping of the jdm bov is when i lost the clips.
i even bought an extra set from lowes to keep it in the glove compartment in case i lose it again, lol. they only have 2 sets left that fit the car so i figure why not. (i actually took off the snorkel and brought it inside with me and test fit them before i left, hehe).
my car actually feels fast again
Old May 14, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I even ran at an 1/8th-mile track with this problem and basically went through all of 2nd and 3rd with almost no boost. This caused me to ALMOST lose to a Mustang GT, but luckily I held out at the end, haha! I ran a 9.1@70 or some crap like that.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:22 PM

I can not frikkin believe thats all it was. Put those clips in there and BAM.... works great now! Thanks alot man! Now all I have to deal with is the tranny grind... woohoo.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Word.