Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Help, Boost Leak & Tranny Grind

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2006, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help, Boost Leak & Tranny Grind on IX

OK, first, mods are listed in sig.

20k miles on it. My coils, wires and plugs were TOAST, and I had them all replaced about 500 miles ago. Regular oil changes, and flushes of all the necessary fluids. I burnt out my stock clutch at 15k miles and have been going strong on the clutchmasters fx300 for 5k miles now.

I have a boost leak above 6500 rpms, which is apparent by the loud whoosh sound and sudden drop off of the power band. I removed the front bumper and checked all the hoses, and they were fine as far as I could tell. I was told by the shop that does all my maintenance that it was the turbo itself that was leaking; however I assume this information is unreliable at best. I noticed this leak about 2k miles ago and it has not gotten any worse.

When shifting into 5th above approx. 3500rpms there is a moderate grind. This has been apparent for approx 2k miles also.

So these are the questions, what is the most common item to leak boost at about 20k miles, should I just up and order a new turbo on the advice of the 1 shop? 5th gear grind; is this usually a sign of major tranny problems or a few hundred dollar fix? And the biggest..... where in SoCal is a good place to have maintenance work like this done? I dont trust just any shop to tear my evo apart, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by RumbleN; May 13, 2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old May 14, 2006, 02:06 PM

up. no one?
Old May 14, 2006, 02:12 PM

where in socal?
Old May 14, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Why don't you do a boost leak test to see what is leaking instead of just buying a turbo?
Old May 14, 2006, 02:20 PM

Im in the I.E. Boost leak test? How, where, and how much?
Old May 14, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have a boost leak; you have an unfastened intake snorkel that is sucking up against the hood above 6000rpm under boost. You either lost or broke your 2 clips, so you need to make sure and get 2 from the trunk lining and re-install them. Make sure the intake snorkel is fastened down completely with 2 clips - no zipties.

The grind is very common on Evos. It was a major TSB in the 03s, but it was supposed to be fixed on 05/06s. Unfortunately, there still seems to be many cases of the dreaded "5th gear synchro grind," yet Mitsu hasn't chosen to take responsibility for it yet. Since you're under warranty, you should go and demonstrate it to Mitsu. They should fix it under warranty, but I wouldn't be surprised if they denied your claim based off the mods and new clutch.

Wait a minute, don't you have a IX? How in the hell have you already done that much to a IX when they just came out 6-7 months ago?
Old May 14, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, one other thing. Please tell us the name of the stupid shop who made that recommendation. I would reconsider ever having them do your maintenance again...
Old May 14, 2006, 02:29 PM

THANK YOU for the detailed response, Im gonna run downstairs and check on that right now LoL. Seriously thanks..

And yes I do have a IX, I purchased it in early OCT before the official release I believe. I drive ALOT. I live in the San Bernardino mountains, and driving up there is so fun its all you want to do. One of the things you'll see me say alot is I beat the HELL out of this car.

Technically its been in two accidents (colliding with an object hard enought to bring you to a stop), its been a couple feet off the ground, launched, raced, ran on the dry lake bed, etc etc etc. Not to mention the runs through the Mojave Preserve from Barstow to Vegas and back. Thats some fun driving!
Old May 14, 2006, 02:29 PM

Dont know where I E is but i do know a place in San Diego
Old May 14, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RumbleN
THANK YOU for the detailed response, Im gonna run downstairs and check on that right now LoL. Seriously thanks..

And yes I do have a IX, I purchased it in early OCT before the official release I believe. I drive ALOT. I live in the San Bernardino mountains, and driving up there is so fun its all you want to do. One of the things you'll see me say alot is I beat the HELL out of this car.

Technically its been in two accidents (colliding with an object hard enought to bring you to a stop), its been a couple feet off the ground, launched, raced, ran on the dry lake bed, etc etc etc. Not to mention the runs through the Mojave Preserve from Barstow to Vegas and back. Thats some fun driving!
Well then I would check for cracked pipes, tranny housings etc... since you evil Knevil the thing!! If you "beat the hell out of it", eventually you will wear out your wallet.
Old May 14, 2006, 02:34 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

Make sure the intake snorkel is fastened down completely with 2 clips - no zipties.
how come you need clips, not zipties? i assume that with zipties, it still allows the snorkel to wiggle around?
Old May 14, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

WJ4, I don't know. You'd think zipties would work fine, but I've helped people with this problem many times, and on a few of them, the people had zipties, yet it still caused the same problems as having no fastening device. Regardless, it's super easy to grab 2 from the trunk (there's 10-12 back there), and they are reusable unlike zipties.
Old May 14, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

maybe some of the problems are occuring like the trans prob b/c u drive the crap outa the car and ur clutch went out at 15k miles. i dont drive like an old man but i got 38 and change on my stock clutch and 300whp for the longest time now. i really dont think mitsu is gonna fix that tranny like war said just b/c of the turbo back then when they see the clutch forget it!
Old May 14, 2006, 02:43 PM

Well, the reason I mentioned the way I drive this thing, is because that IS most likely the reason problems are occuring, and I dont want people assuming these are common problems associated with normal driving. You should see the underbody of my car, somehow I doubt they would honor the warranty just from seeing it...... It looks like someone took a jackhammer to it. Theres one giant gash that you can actually see from the front of the car that runs all the way down it, one big dent; the rock I hit for that one was the size of a football and boy did it sound bad going under!
Old May 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

WJ4, I don't know. You'd think zipties would work fine, but I've helped people with this problem many times, and on a few of them, the people had zipties, yet it still caused the same problems as having no fastening device. Regardless, it's super easy to grab 2 from the trunk (there's 10-12 back there), and they are reusable unlike zipties.
thanks for your help, man. im having the same problem. boost drops from 21psi to 10-15 at 6-6.5k rpm. and i, too, lost both clips on the intake snorkel.
i, too, thought i had a leak, did a boost leak test, and nothing was leaking.
im on the way to lowes right now to get some self tapping screews