Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

It's time Gt 42r or Gt 37r????

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's time Gt 42r or Gt 37r????

It is time to make a choice gt 42r or gt 37r! Car is at AMS and we were set on going with the 2.3 stroker and 37r and all the supporting modifications, including shep t case & trans upgrade. Front and rear axles from DDS.

My dad has been looking at a lot of threads and it seems that a few guys like Dan and Chris are going from 35r's & 37r's to 42r's. ( he has a phone call into Chris and I sent Dan a question list to get his opinion). I know the 37r would probably be a more streeable set up but I'm wondering will we want to change it by next season and have to go through all that when I could just do it now!

This is a father and son project and my dad thinks that we should go for the 42r set up ( He feel in love with Chris's Evo when we were at AMS ) and I'm worried it won't be very streetable and be as much fun to drive on a daily basis. Eric said since we live about 11 hours away from AMS that he thinks the 37r is the best set up for us and won't have the idle or start up problems the 42r sometimes has.

Also on the street I'm concerned about the lag of the 42r. If we did go with it do you guys think we should put a 2 stage nitrous kit in for spool up and highway runs?? Oh and anybody got a opinion on the 4:11 option from Shep?? Time's runnig out and we have to make some choices ASAP!!!

Any input would be great help guys.

Mike

Last edited by WhtEvo05; May 14, 2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old May 14, 2006, 12:29 AM
Account Disabled

I wish I had a dad like that. Our father/son projects usually involved taking stuff to the dump or helping him clean the pool.

I don't think either of those setups are "streetable" in the way 99% of Evo owners interpret the meaning of the word to be. Are you planning to track the car? If so, will it be 1/4 mile, cone dodging or road course type stuff?
Old May 14, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Mostly Drag racing at the track and of course here and there a highway run and yes we know that this is a big HP set up and is what most people do not consider "a daily driver'" We will have 3 maps. 93 oct, meth and c-16.
Old May 14, 2006, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

37R

i like how you go from 13.0@106 with 1.9 60 foot to

37R or 42R.

seems like you should take some time and build up slower hahah.

if you plan on driving this on the street go with the 37, its even pushing to big for the street but the 42 is beyond that.
Old May 14, 2006, 03:59 AM

well with the 42R you cant have AC.... i love both turbos, its such a hard choice
Old May 14, 2006, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Turd Squirter
I wish I had a dad like that. Our father/son projects usually involved taking stuff to the dump or helping him clean the pool.
Old May 14, 2006, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

I say 37R would be reasonable since your even considering to somewhat daily drive it! The 42R is a little overkill on the street but if your evo is going to be a drag queen then 42R all the way!
Old May 14, 2006, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

From reading your first post, you seem to have made up your mind that the 42 is going to be too much. You said your dad's leaning toward the 42, you should get from him the reasons why and post those here.

If the goal for the car is to make the biggest HP possible, then it's 42 time. I haven't ridden in a 42'd car before, but it is pretty clear that those suckers take forever to spool. The 2.3 will help, but it's still going to be a beast to get the 42 up and running.

As most things tend to go with Evo's, however, nothing feels fast for very long, If you're undecided between the two, then you're probably going to end up wishing you went 42 when you had the chance.
Old May 14, 2006, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

this is in a way like the discussion between the 3076r n the 35r now they have been out-staged. Questions like these are strictly between you n the Padre' what do you 2 want more? even less daily drivable or not daily driven? a high to mid 9sec or low to mid 10sec? bad lag or horrible lag? great power or disgusting amounts of power? its on you, all preference. good luck n make sure to post up when all is said and done.
Old May 14, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bernardo
From reading your first post, you seem to have made up your mind that the 42 is going to be too much.
I agree. Sounds like you still want to have fun on the street with the car in situations that call for less then hyperspace speed and the bigger turbo will curtail that.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

A good question to ask yourself is how "daily driven will it be"? I dont have a problem spending all day crusinig around in vacum with my larger turbo, I mean light to lights its not as fun but when im daily driveing my evo, I normaly dont cruse to fast at all. I just spend time in the lower rpms granny driveing never spooling. If I absoultly need the boost its time to down shift to higher rpm and that will get me what I need. There is no reason to drag from light to light in traffic so a large turbo doesnt bother me.

This is all well and good, however if lag bothers you stay clear of the 42 over the 37 for the times you need the boost. If your like me then you could daily drive in vacum all day long and it wont bother you.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Considering that the BIG nasty high HP cars are going nuts on the 42R's and most are race cars, I would go with the GT37. That is an AWESOME turbo capable of quite a bit of HP.

Considering your driving abilities (Im not trying to be offensive here) seem to need some practice, dont bite off more than you can chew just yet. And, if you manage to actually exploit the max potential of the GT37R this season, throw on a small nitrous shot just to keep you happy until you can move up.

I dont see this happening as the GT37 setup is quite a neck breaker as it is.

But for the extreme....yeah, the GT42R is serious.....race car serious.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Hi guys I'm the dad! The only reason I'm even thinking about using the 42 r is that when I was at AMS and herd Chris's car I was like wow! I love the way it sounded and I know from talking to Chris ( when he had the 35r set up ) he is driving his car everyday. I'm calling him on Monday to see how he feels about the car now that he has the 42r set up. I know the spool up on the 42r is going to be a bit slower and thats why I wondered if putting a 2 stage nitirous system might help especially on the track.

I didn't know that you loose the AC!! For me that is an issue.

Also I've noticed there are some 45r's and 50r's in the works on big hp Evo's and I did not want to have to come back next year and do it all over again.

Our goal is to have a very high hp Evo while retaining some streetabilty.

Dan's set up with a couple of twists is what our goal was before I got this bug in my head. Maybe I should just listen to what Eric at AMS advised and stick with that set up. Anyway they are trying a coupe of new things on this build!!!

If I stay with 37r set up, should be getting car in 3 - 4 weeks!! Can't wait!

Will keep you posted on that one.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Squirter

I don't think either of those setups are "streetable" in the way 99% of Evo owners interpret the meaning of the word to be. Are you planning to track the car? If so, will it be 1/4 mile, cone dodging or road course type stuff?

In my house a father/son project involves taking out the trash and cleaning the backyard
Old May 14, 2006, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

As far as driving fast cars go, Ive raced and driven high horsepower American cars up till now. My son has got me into the import world and I'm amazed how you can get all this power out of a 4 cyl. Its a nice change.

My son whos 21, has driven (not owned) somewhat fast cars. A couple of Vettes that were in the 11's, a few Mustangs, and a friend of mine's 996 Turbo. Im sure BOTH of us are not going to cut low 10 second passes instantly.

We'll take it slow at first and get used to the car. NO C-16 the first few weeks.

After all Im still a dad

Quick Reply: It's time Gt 42r or Gt 37r????