Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cracked DCsports header already (less than 2 months)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
That is a bad crack. is that typical with "tube" type headers? or just with this brand? Can you repair that? or will they warranty it?
DC Sports will replace.
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a bad crack. is that typical with "tube" type headers? or just with this brand? Can you repair that? or will they warranty it?
I am sure is repairable locally for cheap. Sometimes is easier to get it fix locally but is just a situation that I don't like to go through specially a guy like me that like everything brand new with top notch quality.

I will talk to the vendor tomorrow and see if he can exchange me this one. I think that Evopolice gave me some comfort, maybe I will give then a chance.

Carlos
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I still think the best bolt-on-and-forget-about-it option is the Buschur ported/coasted stock exhaust manifold.
Old May 14, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you wrap your header for this crack to happen?
Old May 14, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
I still think the best bolt-on-and-forget-about-it option is the Buschur ported/coasted stock exhaust manifold.
This one is really built tough (Buschur) and I havent read anywhere of one of those cracking, nor have I read about an AMS manifold cracking. I have heard of RNR's cracking also. I remember reading somewhere on the V8's, if you crack a header, you can have issues with the valves or something due to the excessive heat in the area. has anyone heard this? or why it is bad if you crack the header besides the noise?
Old May 14, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

DC Sports doesn't have a very good reputation for crack-free headers to begin with. In the Honda world, it is quite common for those headers to crack after a year or so. Don't even get me started on the ceramic ones. I'm surprised however, that yours cracked with so few miles on it.
Old May 14, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo666
did you wrap your header for this crack to happen?
No, I haven't wrapped it around at all.

Carlos
Old May 14, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

One more observation to pitch in is that this header are very thin in my opinion.

I showed the header to some of my friends with Turbokits and they quickly mentioned that this header were to thin and light. I think the main issue here was the welding joint, I believe they were faulty to start with.

Carlos
Old May 14, 2006, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

JBweld ftw
Old May 14, 2006, 06:03 PM

This one is really built tough (Buschur) and I havent read anywhere of one of those cracking, nor have I read about an AMS manifold cracking. I have heard of RNR's cracking also. I remember reading somewhere on the V8's, if you crack a header, you can have issues with the valves or something due to the excessive heat in the area. has anyone heard this? or why it is bad if you crack the header besides the noise?
i heard you will only get burnt valves on n/a cars. i cant remember why right off the top of my head though.
Old May 14, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by N1te
JBweld ftw
i would love to see that
Old May 14, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xfactor evo
i heard you will only get burnt valves on n/a cars. i cant remember why right off the top of my head though.
Thats what it was, thanks!!
Old May 14, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Ive read and said this hundreds of times.....regardless of how these are constructed, most of these mass produced headers will crack over time, some longer durations than others.

Take for example the better brands. I'll start with Mr Buschur followed by AMS, Full Race, RnR, TT and so on...

Buschur uses stock CAST IRON ported manifolds (I think) and proprietary manufactured headers that are cast of iron, which is proven to be significantly more durable over the long haul than tubular headers.

Now, tube headers made from this flimsy crap they call durable tube headers is undersized and basically is going out the day its put in.

The domestic guys, especially AMS and Full Race use some seriously beefy piping to weld up their stuff....reading off of Full Race's website, I see they use forged steel tubes, robotically welded....which in essence means that they are using one tough set of materials.

But they are just about as durable as an average cast manifold...which, for all intents and purposes is some rough and tumble $hit.

Dave Buschur conducted a stock turbo study of ported manifolds and tube headers, he found the only one to increase any horsepower was the full race unit.

The rest are just piles of wasted money that look really nice.

I would stay with the stock manifold or a ported version for anything except larger turbos, starting with a 20g...maybe not even then.

The benefits are outweighed by expense and lack of durability.
Old May 14, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

mine cracked in the exact same place, i got a new one and its fine...i think there was a faulty batch at one point
Old May 14, 2006, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by feldguy
Ive read and said this hundreds of times.....regardless of how these are constructed, most of these mass produced headers will crack over time, some longer durations than others.

Take for example the better brands. I'll start with Mr Buschur followed by AMS, Full Race, RnR, TT and so on...

Buschur uses stock CAST IRON ported manifolds (I think) and proprietary manufactured headers that are cast of iron, which is proven to be significantly more durable over the long haul than tubular headers.

Now, tube headers made from this flimsy crap they call durable tube headers is undersized and basically is going out the day its put in.

The domestic guys, especially AMS and Full Race use some seriously beefy piping to weld up their stuff....reading off of Full Race's website, I see they use forged steel tubes, robotically welded....which in essence means that they are using one tough set of materials.

But they are just about as durable as an average cast manifold...which, for all intents and purposes is some rough and tumble $hit.

Dave Buschur conducted a stock turbo study of ported manifolds and tube headers, he found the only one to increase any horsepower was the full race unit.

The rest are just piles of wasted money that look really nice.

I would stay with the stock manifold or a ported version for anything except larger turbos, starting with a 20g...maybe not even then.

The benefits are outweighed by expense and lack of durability.
GREAT explanation!! Thanks for that, it makes sence to me!

Quick Reply: cracked DCsports header already (less than 2 months)