Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cracked DCsports header already (less than 2 months)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vroompsh
mine cracked in the exact same place, i got a new one and its fine...i think there was a faulty batch at one point
If it cracked the first time why would you trust it the second time?
Old May 14, 2006, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the heads up... didn't someone on here say dave buschur knows what he's doing? haha not discounting the other 'top' name brands or anything... but this will happen i guess
Old May 14, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by feldguy
Ive read and said this hundreds of times.....regardless of how these are constructed, most of these mass produced headers will crack over time, some longer durations than others.
So have I. Which is why you'll probably never see one in an OEM turbo set up. They just can't support the weight of the turbo and withstand all that heat.
Old May 14, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would venture a guess that all of these DC Sport headers are NOT stress relieved. Seems like a large aftermarket company like DC Sports would do this...you can bet that if one cracked, a large population is cracking.

Looks like your Army boys found the root cause. Thin wall tubing attached to a thick flange. The thermal expansions set compressive stresses during the hot cycle and upon cooling, go into tensional stresses. Depending on the yield strength of the material - which is reduced on the hot side, there's no doubt you could run into failure here.

If DC Sports would stress relieve their welds...at least they could do a final check before shipping that the part hasn't cracked (simple FPI test would show that).
Old May 14, 2006, 09:36 PM

old version or new, i will never buy DC product. they had this problem back in 02-03 on the rsx headers cracking, though problems were fixed but it's just too much PIA to uninstall everything. swap it out for a comptech never a problem for 4 plus years.
Old May 14, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
SOON2BEVO,

I dragged you from my other post because I also read your topic a while back when you had your DCsports installed. Despite not being in your signature I personally know that you have them.

These headers have less than 1500 miles on it. I was whining when I first saw the header because they came with a lot of dirt inside, it took me a while to remove the rust look alike material all over the inner walls of the header, that was the first sign of quality deficiency.

Secondly, I never liked the way the welding was done on the inside, there were huge gaps all over the join points. I never gave much importance but now I realize that they cracked right on the spot that I pointed.

As I said before, I no longer want any kind of header on my car, either I will leave it stock or I will send my stockers to Buschur for porting and polishing.

pictures very very soon. wait a couple of minutes guys.

Carlos
Thats very very strange. I say that because I visually inspected mine for hours literally and it was flawfless inside and out. That sucks you have had a negative experience as mine has been obviously nothing short of perfect for the last 15k miles of abuse. Either way, I would send the manifold back to DC as there IS a warranty on the header and they will replace it (at least so you can sell it). Maybe you got a defective one? That would call into play an issue with DC/AEM's quality control, to allow a defective product hit the market when it should not have. Either way, I hope things work out for you.

Tom
Old May 14, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

maybe it's fake
Old May 15, 2006, 12:41 AM

I told you before you put that thing on Carlos. Just from looking at it before you put it on, it didn't look like it was gonna stay very long. In your case, the problem is poor craftsmanship, I remember the welds looked ****ty.
Old May 15, 2006, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by rcheung
Someone needs to lose some weight.
Old May 15, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
did you use the DC header with the stock O2 housing with support bracket?
Old May 15, 2006, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

I run the Ebay 02 with no bracket with my DC.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Guys, this is a known problem and DC has completely revamped the new manifolds. They will gladly replace your old/cracked mani for the newer design. They are easily distinguishable: the new one has reliefs CNC'd in the plate where they attach to the head.

The new ones are night and day better than the old ones, and I doubt you'll run into any issues with the newer version.

DC has been very cool about replacing them. Talk to the shop you bought it from, or deal with DC directly, but there will be no problem in getting a new one.

And for the price, it's a great manifold. We've sold many of them, and only a select few had cracking issues. And all those with issues were quickly replaced.

Cory
Old May 15, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

It is good to know that DC sports will replace the cracked manifolds, i'm glad i sold my DC turbo headers a long time ago.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm thats weird... I was the first person to get the DC manifold. I got mine before I think anyone else (December). It was the first batch made and mine seems fine? Mine is ceramic coated BTW, maybe that helps....
Old May 15, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I remember reading somewhere on the V8's, if you crack a header, you can have issues with the valves or something due to the excessive heat in the area. has anyone heard this? or why it is bad if you crack the header besides the noise?
Boost loss, and there's the whole breathing exhaust thing.

Quick Reply: cracked DCsports header already (less than 2 months)