Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealership screwed us. Should my friend talk to a lawyer?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership screwed us. Should my friend talk to a lawyer?

The first question I have is is there not a law that requires a dealership to inform a buyer of all modifications, updates, changes, whatever done to a vehicle before buying? If so what kind of penalties might there be for not doing so?

I ask for my friend. He bought his 2005 Wicked White EvoVIII from the same dealership I bought my 2003 from. They informed him of the blow off valve, intercooler piping, and intake that were installed on the car. Same upgrades that were done to my car when I bought it as a matter of fact. However, they neglected to inform him that his ECU was not stock. Whether it is a custom tune or a reflash the ECU has been reprogrammed on his car. By itself this would not be a problem for him as he probably would have done the same thing himself. Though he probably would have done it after at least a TBE was added to the mix. However, when you combine this with the fact that he is pissed off at himself for buying an 05 and paying practically the same as what he could have gotten an 06 for (same boat I am in except I am trying to sell mine and he was planning on sticking with his f*ck up)... The car, due to the tuning, runs rich. Not extremely rich but rich enough for him to see a cloud of smoke behind him at WOT or even 3/4 throttle at night. It has also coused the bumper to start to turn black around the exhaust...he tried cleaning it and had no luck. It's not extreme but it is getting worse and is noticeable inside and just arond the exhaust cutout on the bumper. Also his clutch is going downhill FAST. We contemplated that this could be due to his driving but we went over everything he was doing and he wasnt overly hard on the clutch at all. Not worse than me and my clutch is still ok.

Now what he was thinking is after he found out that the ECU was not stock he also found some wiring under the dash on the drivers side that looks like it used to connect to a boost controller. The dealership did not tell him about any of this stuff. But he has been told by the Evo tech in the service department that he was the one that did all the work on the car for the previous owner. The bumper discoloration is due to the car running rich and the clutch being the weakest part of the evo is probably going extra quickly because of the boost in HP over stock from the tune. He wants to try to take advantage of any such law as i mentioned before and try to get the dealership to buy the car back from him. If he could get all the money including the deposit back on the car that would be great but he'd settle for a little more than what he owes which is around 23k.

He asked me to post on here for him to get any advice. Should he talk to a lawyer? Is this even possible or is he screwed? What options may he have?

This dealership has HORRIBLE customer service and overcharges like crazy on these used evos...each of us thought we got a good deal when in fact we got hosed . The only good part is the service dept...

Any advice is much apprectiated thank you guys very much.
Old May 14, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

i don't see the problem?
Old May 14, 2006, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see a problem either. Have the dealership flash the car back to stock. Can't do anything about the clutch, thats a wear and tear item. And as far as wireing goes, the dealership could fix that too if it is causing a probelm with the operation of the car.
Old May 14, 2006, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

the point of the post is........ He has buyers remorse and no longer wants the car, so he is looking for any BS excuse to return the car........... does that about sum it up?
Old May 14, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Klasse All-In-One or any type of cleaner polish will take the black stuff off the bumper pretty easily. My IX had a spot on it as well, and I am even stock.
Old May 14, 2006, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
the point of the post is........ He has buyers remorse and no longer wants the car, so he is looking for any BS excuse to return the car........... does that about sum it up?
+1
Old May 14, 2006, 11:59 PM

How'd the dealership screw you?

Most likely the sales dept did not even know of the mods that were previously done. I work at a Subaru dealership and we sell alot of modded or previously modded Imprezas. I make sure that i know as much as I can about the history of the cars but alot of my salespeople have no idea what was done to the car before.

Your buddy test drove the car...didn't he? He did not notice any of this then? I'd test drive a used car quite a bit before I decided to buy. And what's the proof that the ECU is not stock? The smoke? Running rich?

And how bad is it? So it makes a little smoke and colors the bumper...it still runs fine. As for the clutch ...I'll repeat...did he test drive?

Lawyers won't help a bit. Here's the deal..your buddy got all pumped up about buying an Evo, jumped into it too quickly, paid more than he wanted to and now he feels dumb...so again the dealership gets blamed. Hey...no one made him sign the paperwork!

And what's "overcharging?" The dealership needs to make $ like every other business...they charge what they want and if your buddy didn't feel it was a good deal he should'nt have bought it. So he finds out later that he could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else...who's fault is that? The dealership is supposed to discount the Evo big time just to be nice guys???

Your buddy made a quick decsion and now he needs to live with it. tell him to stop being a whiny *****, stop blaming everyone else, get a new clutch and just be happy that he has a friggin' evo that tons of guys would kill for!

Last edited by Evil EVOIX; May 15, 2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old May 15, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Personally i'd be pissed off if I bought a car and found out later on it was flashed and probably warranty-less by Mitsu. Dealers are responsible to tell a buyer of such things by law.
Old May 15, 2006, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evil EVOIX
How'd the dealership screw you?

Most likely the sales dept did not even know of the mods that were previously done. I work at a Subaru dealership and we sell alot of modded or previously modded Imprezas. I make sure that i know as much as I can about the history of the cars but alot of my salespeople have no idea what was done to the car before.

Your buddy test drove the car...didn't he? He did not notice any of this then? I'd test drive a used car quite a bit before I decided to buy. And what's the proof that the ECU is not stock? The smoke? Running rich?

And how bad is it? So it makes a little smoke and colors the bumper...it still runs fine. As for the clutch ...I'll repeat...did he test drive?

Lawyers won't help a bit. Here's the deal..your buddy got all pumped up about buying an Evo, jumped into it too quickly, paid more than he wanted to and now he feels dumb...so again the dealership gets blamed. Hey...no one made him sign the paperwork!

And what's "overcharging?" The dealership needs to make $ like every other business...they charge what they want and if your buddy didn't feel it was a good deal he should'nt have bought it. So he finds out later that he could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else...who's fault is that? The dealership is supposed to discount the Evo big time just to be nice guys???

Your buddy made a quick decsion and now he needs to live with it. tell him to stop being a whiny *****, stop blaming everyone else, get a new clutch and just be happy that he has a friggin' evo that tons of guys would kill for!

If you never drove an evo before how the hell would you know if it was flashed? He knows it's not tuned like a stock evo because it's faster and pulls harder than one. He didnt know this then but in his experiences since buying it he's found this out. It's running rich. And that little 5000rpm rev limiter....after extensive testing we've proved it's gone.

The dealership told him they did all the work on the car for the previous owner.

As for overcharging...im not sure what 05s should be priced at but for my car an 03 i paid 28k for 28k miles at the same dealer. I know it's my fauly im not blaming them for making me sign the paperwork on that...i blame myself. But dont you think that price is a little crazy?

Last edited by Chewie4299; May 15, 2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old May 15, 2006, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn chewie if you got humped over pricing wise from this place - y let another suffer the same fate?
Old May 15, 2006, 01:10 AM

What's the issue?
Old May 15, 2006, 01:16 AM

don't.. we.. usually... run rich?
Old May 15, 2006, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Old May 15, 2006, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

not that rich...i got screwed royally and it was my fault i know. i didnt know the guy too well at teh time he bought his.
Old May 15, 2006, 03:50 AM

Which dealership are talking about? I have my own reasons for hating a particular CT Mitsu dealer...

Quick Reply: Dealership screwed us. Should my friend talk to a lawyer?