Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

no mbc, numbers?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no mbc, numbers?

just out of curiousity, is there anyone that has basic bolt ons with a flash but no mbc, wondering how much hp the mbc actually gives. Thanks!!!
Old May 15, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

the more boost the more power....that is until it blows up.....i think if you get a flash they can change the boost too....but if you dont have that done, the rule of thumb is for every pound of boost it usually makes 8-10hp depending of mods the more mods you have the more power each pound gives. 8-10 is on a mostly stock 4 cyl. engine. hope this helps.
Old May 15, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

sounds good, so if i have tbe, drop in, and i goto get a flash, the mbc should give me about 15-20 whp? i hope~
Old May 15, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

yo stikiller check out tristatetuners.com for some local info, also if you got exhaust intake etc. you should put the mbc on, as well as a fuel pump upgrade to get the most benefits from the car
Old May 15, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's not how it works, stikiller. You either let the flash control the boost, or you get an MBC to control the boost yourself. Either way can make the same power, but with a flash controlling the boost, it is static and can't be changed. With an MBC, you can change it until you get it right where you want it while being as risky or riskless as you want. You can also have control of boost for raising it when using race gas at the track, or for lowering it in inclement weather. There are many scenarios where you'd need control of your boost, but there's no particular power advantage one way or the other.
Old May 15, 2006, 02:46 PM

mbc

i'm curious myself of how much power i will gain from mbc. i heard lots of bad things about mbc thats why i went without it for 1 1/2 already. i drive an 05 mr and have basic bolt on like tbe, intake, test pipe, cut-out and bov. all are hks but really hesatant about increasing my boost. what do you guys think?
Old May 15, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

raising your boost 1 or 2 lbs shouldn't hurt, but i'm no expert!
Old May 15, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hks-mr
i'm curious myself of how much power i will gain from mbc. i heard lots of bad things about mbc thats why i went without it for 1 1/2 already. i drive an 05 mr and have basic bolt on like tbe, intake, test pipe, cut-out and bov. all are hks but really hesatant about increasing my boost. what do you guys think?
Our power comes from boost, and our stock boost is weak. I don't know where you heard so many bad things about MBCs, but it wasn't on here. It's a shame you've gone that long with a bunch of expensive HKS parts only to gain very little power. With an MBC and basic Dynoflash, your car would be a whole new animal. I also recommend selling that HKS SSQV in order to get a proper diverter valve, such as the Forge RS or JDM MR (same as stock IX DV).
Old May 15, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Check out the Vishnu forum for more info pertaining to flashes and basic bolt-on's. With 93 octane fuel, an Ecutek reflash, and a full 3" exhaust, Shiv is seeing between 330 and 340 whp when he tunes a IX on a dynojet. He doesn't like to use mbc's. Going with a reflashed ecu will cost a little more but it will be safer in the long run... therefore saving you money as long as you have an experienced guy tune the ecu. That's if you aren't exactly confident in your own tuning ability and don't want to risk cranking up the boost manually... hoping that it isn't too much.

If you know what you are doing though, using a mbc will yeild good power and will cost you less to get that power. I'd rather let the pro's handle that area since I'm no pro with tuning and I've been extremely satisfied with Shiv's tuning ability with my WRX and Evo IX. I'm confident in letting the ecu manage things vs. manually dialing in boost on a mbc when conditions change. If I experience any problems the ecu will adjust or I'll stay off the boost if need be.
Old May 15, 2006, 05:05 PM

Like someone else said, the main advantage for using a MBC is the adjustability of boost pressure. This way you can control how much power your car is making and also how much strain is on the engine.

Also, the MBC is a part that will stay on your car for a long time. If you get a new turbo/more parts, you'll have to reflash the ECU to tune for those parts.

I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't get a flash, I'm just saying you DEFINITELY should get a MBC! It's only ~$50 for a solid one anyway.