Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best way to care for the Enkei Wheels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to care for the Enkei Wheels

All you expert detailers out there. What is the best way to keep the Enkei wheels nice and shiny. I am finding that the horizontal part of the wheel is catching a lot of dust that looks like it is held there by grease from somewhere. Severla questions:

How often should I clean away the dust.

What should I use to clean the dust away?
Chemicals v no chemicals. Will chemicals damage that nice red Brembo finish??

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:35 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Personally, I use Car Wash soap to clean the wheels just like the paint because it has a clear coat and I've heard wheel cleaners can be too abrasive. After cleaning, I would wax the wheels using the wax of your choice to protect them.

Mark
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

But if the dust is engrained do we just scrub with wheel brush. Someone also said waxing is a waste of time as the temp gets so high that it just evaporates.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Ive used bug and tar remover and a soft cloth to remove stuck on garbage on my wheels, it works really well.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Car Wash Soap -----> Carnuba Wax----> Glass Cleaner.

Three Steps, brillant shine, and protection. Use a cheap (but soft) toothbrush to get into the nooks and cranies of the wheel.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

crzylizard,
Glass cleaner strips wax. So if you use glass cleaner right after you wax the wheel, you just stripped off your freshly applied wax.

RallyBrit,
The wheels are painted surfaces just like the rest of your car. If you would be afraid to use the wheel scrubber you own on the hood of your car for fear that it would scratch the paint, you shouldn't use it on your wheel either.

I have a car washing sponge dedicated to cleaning the wheels only. I use that sponge along with the regular car wash detergent to clean my wheels.

If you clean your car 2-3 times a month, the brake dust probably won't bake on enough that a normal car sponge will not remove it.

If you go months without washing your car, the dust may bake onto the wheel. If this occurs, then you will need to go buy some dedicated wheel cleaning spray. But just make sure that whatever you buy is safe to use on painted/ clearcoated wheels.

You can feel free to wax the paint on the wheels if you like. It will not evaporate any more quickly than it would evaporate from the hood of your car as it bakes in the sun on a summer afternoon.

SC~ who used to detail cars.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
crzylizard,
Glass cleaner strips wax. So if you use glass cleaner right after you wax the wheel, you just stripped off your freshly applied wax.

Sorry bout that....got my steps mixed up. Do forgive me .
Old Apr 15, 2003, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
crzylizard,

RallyBrit,
The wheels are painted surfaces just like the rest of your car. If you would be afraid to use the wheel scrubber you own on the hood of your car for fear that it would scratch the paint, you shouldn't use it on your wheel either.

I have a car washing sponge dedicated to cleaning the wheels only. I use that sponge along with the regular car wash detergent to clean my wheels.

If you clean your car 2-3 times a month, the brake dust probably won't bake on enough that a normal car sponge will not remove it.

If you go months without washing your car, the dust may bake onto the wheel. If this occurs, then you will need to go buy some dedicated wheel cleaning spray. But just make sure that whatever you buy is safe to use on painted/ clearcoated wheels.

You can feel free to wax the paint on the wheels if you like. It will not evaporate any more quickly than it would evaporate from the hood of your car as it bakes in the sun on a summer afternoon.

SC~ who used to detail cars.
Thanks. Guess I have to use more elbow grease than I have been.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

I'm having mine powder coat in gunmetal!
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Soap and water....then an occasional wax.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RallyBrit

Thanks. Guess I have to use more elbow grease than I have been.
It shouldn't take too much hard work to get it clean. The brake dust on my wheels wipes right off with the sponge. No hard work required at all!

SC~
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey guys check out some stuff called Liquid Glass, it's simply amazing on my silver evo, you basically apply it as you would with a wax, to just about any surface that is nonporous, supposed to work beautifully on darker colors, not supposed to leave any swirls whatsoever, i will attest to it being bad *** on the apex silver color, throw some on the wheels and it's amazing, what used to be coaked on brake dust accumulated in a matter of a few days that wouldn't come off with pressurized water, i know that was stupid of me but i figured the wheels coating of paint was durable enough to handle it, but now i can literally blow the dust off of the wheel with my breath, this stuff has been recomended to me by several detail shops here around the san antonio area of texas, at first i was sceptical until i tried it, you let it bake in for 4 hours in direct sunlight after buffing off with a microfiber towel in between each coat, anyone else tried this stuff with the same great results? also i notice my evo really retains a static charge, pollen and dust just stick to it no matter how clean it is, like a freakin magnet, but my point is does anyone remember those static grounding tabs you could put under your car that would make contact with the ground from time to time, used to know a guy that had a neon that he spent mega bucks on a custom paint job that showed his vehicle and drove it daily, and he only washed the thing every two weeks, and even then it wasn't out of need just obsessive compulsive :P he swore that it was due to the grounding strip, anybody know about these? sorry so long winded, but that's me
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

I have used liquid glass for over 6 years now; on my black civic, black turbo integra and now my WRB wrx. It's a really good product, it's even good on (glass) windows...

It's a little expensive but sears sells it for $16.00 and at pepboys it goes for just about $18.00. The more coats you apply the better the protection. No need to strip it and re-apply like wax.