Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Keep the Evo or get Porsche GT3?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not really a hard decision. Get the Porsche. I had a 930 Turbo with a RUF conversion. The car was absolutely amazing especially when it would hit full boost at 2.0 bar

The problem was I was only 27 when I bought it and I just could not afford the maintenance on it. One of those sad things were you can afford the car but can't afford to maintain it.

Get the Porsche and you will not be sorry.
Old May 18, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by termsheet
I've got a deposit down on the same car. My local dealer thinks they'll only get one or two of them. They're saying that Porsche is making less GT3s than CGTs.
They are holding my #2 spot until I decide on Saturday. The first car they have coming in is sold so as soon as the order sheets are out I get the first customer order car they can get. The dealer also thought the same thing about them being pretty scarce, I asked about waiting till fall to order and he thought it might be very hard to get a car by the next summer if I waited. Their first car will be in mid August and if I order one it would be mid October delivery.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
They are holding my #2 spot until I decide on Saturday. The first car they have coming in is sold so as soon as the order sheets are out I get the first customer order car they can get. The dealer also thought the same thing about them being pretty scarce, I asked about waiting till fall to order and he thought it might be very hard to get a car by the next summer if I waited. Their first car will be in mid August and if I order one it would be mid October delivery.
They had a midnight blue GT-3 at the Bentley/Ferrari/Lamborgini dealership here. It was absolutely stunning in person. It just looked bad ***. I can't even imagine what it would be like to drive.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Max-Q
They had a midnight blue GT-3 at the Bentley/Ferrari/Lamborgini dealership here. It was absolutely stunning in person. It just looked bad ***. I can't even imagine what it would be like to drive.
996 or 997? Didn't know there were any in the us yet.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:09 AM

I think it comes down to preference. I have a IX MR for my daily driver and a 73 911 S for my race car. The EVO is stock and the 911 is not! It's set up for PCA G stock club racing with all of the legal mods done. Power to weight ratio is 12.0 for the 911 without the PCA ballast added, which is better than the EVO's. The 911 brakes better and handles better as well. If I didn't have kids then I would've gotten a GT3, no questions asked. But since I need the two back seats the EVO was the next best thing. Have you looked at keeping the EVO and getting an older 911 and using it as your track car? If the 997 GT3 is the only Porsche option you have, I'd get it and ditch the EVO. The TT is too heavy with it's all wheel drive. The GT3 can easily be faster than the TT on track and it would be more fun to drive as it would be more tossible than the TT. I'm taking my 911 to a DE tomorrow, I'll shoot some video so you can see what an older 911 is all about.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

If you can afford a GT3 then you should be able to afford to keep the Evo too.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

hands down get the gt3 youll never look back, but u should try to keep the evo
Old May 18, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xphillipjrx
If you can afford a GT3 then you should be able to afford to keep the Evo too.
You must not be married. It has nothing to do with what he can afford.

A GT3 sounds like a nice compromise to me. You get an awesome car and keep the wife happy at the same time.

BTW, my wife also hates my Evo. She'd ride a bike before she'd drive my car.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

996 or 997? Didn't know there were any in the us yet.
Must be a 996 as the 997 is not yet available.

Have you considered a used 996 turbo? They're very mod friendly and are awesome cars. I have a Cayenne Turbo which is currently down at Evolution Motorsports in AZ. They're installing their first 650 HP kit (91 octane, 700 HP with 100 octane) on my truck.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Just get this if you have 100K to toss at a car.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0001&Profile=0
I'd rather own a Carrera GT. Especially after watching this video.

http://www.kalionzes.com/video/Carrera%20GT%20video.wmv

Actually i'll take any porsche over my Evo (except the boxter or cayanne). THey're amazing cars, supurb build quality, and very very refined in every way.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

The time has come to decide if I am going to keep the Evo or part it out and order a GT3 for winter delivery.

I am about to send the car down to Buschur and have a stroker motor, AEM, and the 3065 put on along with some variation of the Robi Spec suspension. Problem is my wife REALLY HATES THE EVO. She wants me to sell the Evo and order the GT3.

Problem is I really love the Evo, its fast as hell and nobody notices my white RS, which is nice. The GT3 would make a great weekend track car and with the PCCB brakes be pretty reliable to run on the weekends. I know the evo can be made to run faster then the GT3 but I have driven a few Porsche's (993tt, GT3, 996tt) and they are very fun cars to track.

One more twist is the Twin Turbo is also an option over the GT3, the wife has said...whatever you want as long as you get rid of the Evo!

Either car is a sunny day/weekend car.

Autoweek GT3 Story

Umm... if you let your wife make that decision for you then that is sad. My wife will NEVER tell me what car I can, and cannot buy (assuming its with my own money and its not a huge burden on the family obviously).

no offense man but it sounds like your "wife" is a gold digger. "NO I DONT WANT TO DRIVE A CHEAP CAR, WE MUST HAVE A PORCHE OR FERRARI"

Old May 18, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DreamLike1
Umm... if you let your wife make that decision for you then that is sad. My wife will NEVER tell me what car I can, and cannot buy (assuming its with my own money and its not a huge burden on the family obviously).

no offense man but it sounds like your "wife" is a gold digger. "NO I DONT WANT TO DRIVE A CHEAP CAR, WE MUST HAVE A PORCHE OR FERRARI"

That's a little harsh to be calling her a gold digger. Let's face it, the Evo is not pretty in the traditional way and it is not elegant at all. It doesn't have anything to do with status it has to do with personal taste. I know a lot of people that think my garage houses the two ugliest cars around but I don't care. That's their problem not mine.

Very few women find the Evo attractive at all. It simply isn't cute. Period. The Porsche 911 on the other hand has been an icon for longer than I've been alive and I'm 36. I'm sure when it first came out there were people who could not get past how strange it looked compared to other cars in 1964 but now 42 years later it is one of the most graceful and menacing silhouttes in the world.

To each their own.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:53 AM

is this a serious question keep a mitsubishi over a porsche?
Old May 18, 2006, 11:54 AM
FAV
Evolving Member

goin for the gt3 sounds like a good idea to me, youll have to suck i t up and deal getting rid og the evo, but man, its a friggin gt3!! and more importantly, itll make the wife happy, all in all make the right choice, and if you get all bored in a year and want to start moddin a car, put the truck in the driveway and get a project car that you can work on!!
Old May 18, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

yea, but the point about his wife is that, it's NOT her car and just because she thinks it's ugly, doesn't mean she should make him sell it. So if tomorrow your wife/gf/mother says that she hates the evo because it's a rice box, are you going to sell it based on her whim?

oh and since "gold digger" was brought up, i just have to quote Carlos Mencia here: "i'll admit i like 'Gold Digga', but Kanye West is a crazy n***a!"

Quick Reply: Keep the Evo or get Porsche GT3?