Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Keep the Evo or get Porsche GT3?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 12:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4ringturncoat

It sounds like your getting a GT3 for the wrong reasons. Stick with the turbo it's a better street car and you won't kill yourself in it on back or roads. Going from a front engine 4wd car to a rear engine 2wd with no electronic safety net is not a bright idea. I'd recommend ignoring the ego a getting a Carrera S with a GT3 body kit for your first Porsche in interest of self preservation, if want 2wd. You’ll fun either way and won’t have to worry about the road brail sucking you off into oblivion. Any GT model really isn’t much of a street car and definitely isn’t meant for rookie Porsche drivers. I learned fiction is a lot better than reality when I did the Ranger thing back when I was in the army and it sounds like you’re going to learn that with a $100,000 car.

PS
Watch that weight transfer
Old May 18, 2006, 12:09 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thechoc
4ringturncoat

It sounds like your getting a GT3 for the wrong reasons. Stick with the turbo it's a better street car and you won't kill yourself in it on back or roads. Going from a front engine 4wd car to a rear engine 2wd with no electronic safety net is not a bright idea. I'd recommend ignoring the ego a getting a Carrera S with a GT3 body kit for your first Porsche in interest of self preservation, if want 2wd. You’ll fun either way and won’t have to worry about the road brail sucking you off into oblivion. Any GT model really isn’t much of a street car and definitely isn’t meant for rookie Porsche drivers. I learned fiction is a lot better than reality when I did the Ranger thing back when I was in the army and it sounds like you’re going to learn that with a $100,000 car.

PS
I beleive the 997 has the electronic safety net.

GT3 is an awesome car that lap nurberg as fast as the new ZO6. Pretty radical. My vote goes to the 997. But then again if you can afford the 997 i'm sure you can afford to keep the evo. The evo has 4 doors. Use it as your grocery getter.
Old May 18, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Get the Twin Turbo!
Old May 18, 2006, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

4ringturncoat

PS

Having spent plenty of time in a ruf old skool 930 on the track and road I should be fine with this car. Also my dad has a Z06 that I have spent plety of time in also. Funny you should assume I am a newbie to cars (I am 40 after all) or a rear wheel drive car. Last Porsche I had was a mid 90's 928 GT and have plenty of seat time in a bunch of 911's/930
Old May 18, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

GT3 FTW!
Old May 18, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

just curious how much is a 997 GT3 in the US?
Old May 18, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

My cousin has a 996 GT3 and it is VERY rough on the street. It is a raw race car with a licsense plate and turn signals. The turbo is quite a bit more civilized.

If your wife hates the Evo I can't imagine why she would like a GT3. Have her go for a test drive in one and see what she thinks. On the other hand the GT3 is a beauty on the track, my cousin almost prefers it over his 360 Challenge car.

If it was up to me I'd go for the turbo.
Old May 18, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yoda
My cousin has a 996 GT3 and it is VERY rough on the street. It is a raw race car with a licsense plate and turn signals. The turbo is quite a bit more civilized.

If your wife hates the Evo I can't imagine why she would like a GT3. Have her go for a test drive in one and see what she thinks. On the other hand the GT3 is a beauty on the track, my cousin almost prefers it over his 360 Challenge car.

she doesnt like how the Evo looks
Old May 18, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

4ringturncoat

PS
The new GT3 is the first GT3 to use traction control (street and sport modes) as well as active suspension management
Old May 18, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yoda

She does not mind the ride at all, she just is not into the plasticy Evo. Her point is why not have a great track/weekend car that looks good instead of a great performing cheap not so good looking car. Plus I know she is sick of the Evo being in 9000 pieces half the time.

I had some pretty brutal coil-overs on my S4 and she loved that car, so ride is not a issue.

The 993 TT was a hot looking car and the GT3 looks good also. She is an engineer so to her it's black and white, why not have a great looking car that also performs? That and the fact she is sure the GT3 will not be is pieces all over the garage floor/basement/yard/Buschurs shop

That and the fact if I add up everything I have spent and what I am going to spend I am sure it is well over $50k, she also makes a valid point of how much the GT3 holding thier value well.

I do love the looks of the GT3 but I also love beating the *hit out of the Evo which I don't think I would do with the GT3.

But who knows, funning how things change when you get on the track Like the last Ruf I drove had a $ sticker on the remote boost control as a reminder
Old May 18, 2006, 01:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
Having spent plenty of time in a ruf old skool 930 on the track and road I should be fine with this car. Also my dad has a Z06 that I have spent plety of time in also. Funny you should assume I am a newbie to cars (I am 40 after all) or a rear wheel drive car. Last Porsche I had was a mid 90's 928 GT and have plenty of seat time in a bunch of 911's/930
Sorry about that, it sounded like you were just getting it for the image. With a roster like that the GT3 is right for you
Old May 18, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry about that, it sounded like you were just getting it for the image. With a roster like that the GT3 is right for you
No problem

Any idea when your Z06 will be in? They are pretty bad ***
Old May 18, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Is it a mystery that women would prefer a Porsche to an EVO? Face it, there are loads of EVO's parked in high school parking lots. It's not the ride that concerns her.
Old May 18, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

If you can get your hands on a GT2, that's an even better car then the GT3.
Old May 18, 2006, 03:36 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by South Side Evo
If you can get your hands on a GT2, that's an even better car then the GT3.
Power does not make a car...

The GT2 is way too hard for a normal person to drive on a race track being a high powered rear engine RWD car. The GT3 is much better to drive and most prefer it as it is closer to Porsche's roots being a balanced pure driving car - not a high powered car that'll bite your head off if you make a mistake.

Quick Reply: Keep the Evo or get Porsche GT3?